“New Owners Wonderful!”
Review of Big Bend Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leggett
Big Bend Lodge
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first visit to Big Bend Lodge. Three friends and I, with our lab, shared cabin 9, which is one of the two that allows dogs. The property is being updated with simple, stylish charm. The place is something special to the new owners, so they are intent on bringing back the original charm to this magical site. Kitchens are fully stocked with cooking gadgets, and the bathrooms have natural soaps and good hot showers, nice clean towels. Beds are comfortable, with plenty of blankets. Each cabin has it's own character, yet practical and clean. We barbequed and sat around the fire pit nightly. The river in our back yard was so much fun. A few inner tubes are provided for use, but bringing your favorite floatie is a plus. This is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. Somewhat remote, yet there's a good little store about 4 miles away for forgotten necessities. No TVs, limited cell phone coverage, depending on your carrier(Verizon worked here, while T-Mobile didn't). If you want a luxury resort, this is not your place. It's peaceful, a bit rustic, and fun. Kid friendly, yet also good for adults, groups, reunions, etc. Loved it. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank V E

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here in the middle of January for two nights while on a family road trip. The grounds were nice, the care taker was friendly and helpful but there were a few issues. We knew that it was rural, that there was no television or internet, our cell phones probably wouldn't work and the closest store was an hour round trip...we were very okay with all of that. We had packed our groceries, wood for the fire pit, water, snacks and books, but we didn't have enough wood for the woodstove in the cabin. There was a propane wall heater but it was so cold by ten at night that my husband had to fire up the woodstove and the next day he had to go to the gas station to buy more. I felt that we should have been told that the cabins were going to be hard to heat or that we should bring wood for the stove (I really feel that the owners should provide wood for the stove in the cold months.) The cabins were also dirty, not rustic, but dirty. I spent part of our first day cleaning the floors. It was also supposed to be a dog free cabin (allergies) and there were signs of dog hair all around. We did have fun, the area was beautiful, feeding the chickens was fun for our three year old, and it was quiet, but I would be hard pressed to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Salmonslut
Management response:Responded January 28, 2013

Thank you for visiting the Big Bend Lodge, your feedback is truly valued. We are so glad that you enjoyed the remote and beautiful surroundings, it is a very special spot. We apologize for the lack of fire wood. The January time frame that you stayed was the coldest of the season, and we usually do not have issues with the heaters. But you are correct-- if the room is not warm enough from the heater, firewood should be provided complimentary for the wood burning stove. We have revised our policy based on your feedback. As for the cleanliness of the room, you can see from the other Trip Advisor reviews that this is not the norm for the lodge and we are very sorry that this was your experience. We are a small lodge and do our best to welcome our guests and see that they are happy and comfortable. We will continue to work to make the lodge better. We hope you can visit us again in the summer to experience the hot summer days and magic of the Eel River.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a basic motel/camp with a great spot, good fun and easy going pace. Don't expect to be a modern traveler here. No TV and no cell phone, those are features.

Stayed two nights on a cold weekend in mid-January. What a great place. It is basic but very clean. They have fireplaces in the cabins, plus heat and light. During the summer, inner tubes, basketball, ping pong, camp fires, volleyball, etc... the list goes on. I would rather stay here than a suite at the Hilton. Keep in mind that this is a basic accommodation with kitchen but I found it outstanding. The manager, Joy, does a great job and made us feel welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank durski
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I say "camping" because you feel like you are camping, but it is SOOO much better. The cabins make the experience perfect! The grounds are great, surrounding nature is amazing, floating all day on the river....need I say more. Highly recommended. I am already planning for the next trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Aimee F
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were looking for a staycation and this was it. The rooms are very intersting nothing fancy no TV or phone or any service. This is a great place to get away from it all. They have really charming kitchens and include BBQ's. We swam all day, BBQed at night and watched a movie on our DVD player. It was really relaxing. We did meet one of the owners and she was very nice Joy was a little strict on her rules but then apologized the next time she saw us. We had asked to check in early but she did not read it and it is a strict 3pm check in. We came as a couple, but it would be a great place to bring your family. They have games to play and fire pit at night and the beach.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HelenHaz
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Boy am I happy that Big Bend is BACK! My husband and I spent a night there recently and were thrilled to meet the new managers, John and Joy, and to hear all about the new owners and their plans. Take everything the last few reviewers have said and double it, and please, take my word for it, there is nothing like it anywhere. Maybe I’m prejudiced since my dad helped Ace and Grandpa Anthony and my Uncle Joe (Ace’s brother) build it back in the 1940’s, and my first home was just up the hill, a stone’s throw from the Lodge -- but I don’t think so. It’s always been an awesome place, and continues to be so. What makes it so unique is that it’s been carefully restored, but is essentially unchanged. I love that about Big Bend. It’s like going back in time. I can hardly wait to gather everyone together for a big family reunion there next year. If you want to get away, this is the place. I give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The new owners have really made this place shine. The cabins are comfortable and have all you need. The kitchen is fully stocked, each cabin has it's own grill and the place overflows with charm. We traveled up with our extended family and our dogs and had a most wonderful time. The lodge offers inter-tubes to float on the river and three different private beaches to choose from. The innkeeper and his family are as sweet as can be and were there for us whenever we had questions. Lots of things for the kids to do: ping-pong, basketball, volleyball, tire swing...it's great to get them into nature. We also loved visiting the chickens in the back and feeding them our food scraps. The bathroom is small but gets the job done. (We stayed in cabin 10). When the time came to check out, nobody wanted to leave as we were having such a great time....so we all added one extra day to our trip. That's how good a time we had at this charming lodge.

Room Tip: Dogs are only allowed in 2 of the cabins (9 and 10), so book early.