“Nice vibe, nice price...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Mono Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lee Vining
El Mono Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lee Vining
East Coast
“Nice vibe, nice price...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed here at the beginning of a Yosemite vacation. Our plans were disrupted a bit by Hurricane Irene on the East Coast, so we made this reservation last-minute and were thrilled with the find. We stayed in a double-bed room that had a sink but no ensuite, so we used the shared showers and toilets. The rooms are nicely furnished, and you get a sense that people *care* about the place, despite the modest price. The coffee at the coffee shop was great, and we had a nice outdoor breakfast on a patio table in the backyard. I'd happily come back here any time!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

The rooms weren't as bad as I thought. I was a little hesitant about the shared bathrooms and showers, but they it went pretty well. The front desk people were nice (there's a cute guy that works there, another plus). They have a cute dog! And the bakery was delicious. I had the Pumpkin Gingerbread, and it was really good! I love the sunflowers and the stars at night are amazing! Were I'm from, we don't have that many stars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bjrouse
Mammoth Lakes, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

The El Mono is a small motel in Lee Vining. It is a no frills kind of place, but very quaint, clean and peaceful. There is a beautiful garden with seating right outside of your room and a wonderful cafe, Latte Da, is attached to the motel. The rooms don't have a phone or TV, but have photos of local scenery and comfortable beds. It is a wonderful, quiet place to stay and I highly recommend it. I have enjoyed staying there many times and have always had a nice time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mountaingal59
Epping, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Had read all the previous reviews on TripAdvisor and decided on this little place to stay on road trip from Vegas to Yosemite/San Fran. Small, quaint but comfortable stay. As previously recommended, the coffee in the morning is great - 'specially with mountain views at back and Mono Lake at front! Very busy place in the small coffee shop/ reception area! Staff very friendly and cheerful! The home-made cookies are a must for any road-trip too! Oh - and as previously stated - you MUST go to the Mobil Gas Station to eat in the evening!!! (half-mile drive just at start of road to Tioga Pass)

Room Tip: We were in rooms 1 (with bathrm) and 2 (w/out bathrm) - both OK and comfortable
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank EricaCJ64
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

I've stayed here twice, and each time, I have enjoyed my stay. And I can't understand why. There is no AC in the place, even though Lee Vining can get quite hot. There are other things that need repair, and the place looks old. But for some reason, it doesn't bother me. The place is very charming, with an attached coffee shop, complete with hipster wannabes hanging out drinking their soy latte and writing their big novel on their i-computers.

The room we had came with a full bathroom, but they only have a couple of these rooms. The other few rooms are sans bathroom, and share a common shower facility. We haven't stayed in those rooms, but I'm sure they are fine. So...the room had some problems. As I said, no AC, only a fan. The toilet seat was loose, and the water in the shower would go from ice cold to scalding hot in an instant. In fact, at times, the hot completely goes out, and you are in ice cold water. The room we had was adjacent to the coffee shop, so we could hear drawers and chairs through the walls. But it closed at 8, and most of the employees leave by 9:30, so it becomes quiet. There is no TV, only a radio on the room.

But again, for all these issues, I still like coming here. I think Lee Vining is a pretty cool little town along highway 395. Maybe that's part of it, but the El Mono is another big part of why I like coming here. Also, the pastries in the coffee shop are very good!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

If you love that Calm of the sierra then this is an excellent place to be. Mono lake is breath taking and the mountains seem to embrace you . although the rooms are small they are cozy Its nice to have no TV I was able to take in the beauty that surrounded and relax with my book , I loved the Latte Da Coffee Café its wonderful organic coffee and food along with the friendly staff made this quick stop well worth it .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jessiegraz
Medford, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

We got into town late, and finding this about all that was available we were ripped for $100 a night for a room so small you had to walk sideways around the bed with your nose to the wall. There was no TV, the WIFI did not work well, the climate control was a old fashioned radiator with no AC.

Don't go. Not worth the bucks.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Bridgeport
June Lake Villager
June Lake Villager
#3 of 7 in June Lake

Been to El Mono Motel? Share your experiences!