“A Gourmet Meal at a Mobile Station???”

Tioga Gas Mart & Whoa Nellie Deli
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Lee Vining
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Tioga Gas Mart is open from the last Saturday in April thru the last Sunday in October. Tioga Gas Mart is closed Nove thru most of April.
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Got that right! Right at the intersection of Tioga Pass and Rt 395 there is a Moble station. Stop in at the restaurant for some fine dining while filling up (it is also the cheapest gas in town, but that's not saying much). I had lamb tenderloin perfectly medium rare in a mint demi glace. My wife had a huge beef tenderloin caesar salad. We shared a bottle of wine, which they let you re-cork and take with you what you can't finish. The owner is very friendly, takes your order and gives you a number. Service was very fast.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

I had been visiting family in Bishop and decided to take Hwy 120 (Tioga Pass) over the Sierra to the North Coast of CA where I live. I had heard about the deli at the junction of Hwys 395 and 120 for a while now, but have never been able to stop. Well, it was lunch time and I way hungry so I decided to give it a try. I was very happy I did. The selection was amazing--from lobster taquitos to veggie burgers and everything in between. I ordered the fish tacos with Brazilian black beans and a fruit salsa. Muy delicioso! The out door eating area was great--views of Mono Lake, the mountains etc. There is indoor dining, but you are in a gas station-like mini mart. The out door dining, weather permitting is the way to go. The cost is about par for other locations in the area--things are just more expensive here. Stop by and give it a try next time you are traveling in this area.

1  Thank jandbmclaugh47
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We stayed at Yosemite National Park for one week in early October. It was late in the season so there was no place to stop for food up Tuolumne meadows. Instead of turning back to the valley, we deciede to drive to Lee Vining. The drive down the mountains was winding but views were great! The colors had just changed in Inyo National forest. As we pulled over to Mobil, I recognized this "restaurant". It was on a network cooking show before. With great expectation, we ordered fish taco and Jambalaya. It was soooo good! Jambalaya was with the right acidity. Two tacos were tasty and colorful, like work of art. I couldn't believe that we were in the middle of nowhere and at the gas station. It was the best dining experience during the trip.

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I had read about this place on T/A before we left on our June vacation to the Yosemite area, so I was not surprised that our Lee Vining motel owner recommended it to us. Thus it was on our agenda, and we stopped to eat here after our tour of the Tuolumne Meadows area on the east side of Yosemite.

A gas station in front, and a plain convenience store/deli in the back -- this is it, eh? Looks more like a Dairy Queen. But the handwritten whiteboard hanging on the wall has menu items and prices that are out-of-sync with the appearance of everything else. One of the friendly, energetic food prep workers behind the counter takes our order: I get the buffalo meatloaf, and my wife, the pan-seared chicken.

After giving him our order, we take our seat in the DQ-like dining area (too windy for the nice outside tables) -- but that's where the DQ comparison stops. "Whoa Nellie" -- this is more than a deli!

Cloth napkins, real silverware ....... and wine is poured at our table by one of the deli attendants/waiters. Then our food order is delivered to us; large plates with generous portions, and some very tasty grub, are now satisfying two hungry hikers from Yosemite. We were very surprised and pleased with the food, and the whole experience actually.
We'd come back again if we were ever in the area.

1  Thank Weston66
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Read a few reviews here and saw the LP entry and thought we'd give it a go. If you are staying in Lee Vining it is a bit awkward as you need to drive there and then you can't sample all the gorgeous draft microbrews they offer.

The food was great - we had the buffalo meatloaf which was perfectly seasoned and teh jambalaya which was a good taste but a bit wet - not the style we are used to.

We came away satisfied with a belly full to bursting with tasty food. I didn't find the hot mains overpriced at all.