“It's just a matter of what experience you want”
Review of Tioga Pass Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lee Vining
Tioga Pass Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lee Vining
Nevada
“It's just a matter of what experience you want”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Tioga Pass Resort is part history and part funk!
If you want a hotel room with the basics stay in Lee Vining.
But, if you are looking for rustic charm and high sierra
character, then this is your place.
It is a great location with stream running right in front of the cabins
and old fashion dining room with counter seating and large portion home cooked meals perfect for hungry hikers,skiers and backpackers. Pie and cake to die for!
Relaxed, informal atmosphere.
They sometimes have guest speakers in lodge on weekend nights
and there always people sharing their Yosemite experiences
We think it is one of the most fun places in the Sierras!
It is a little difficult to find a vacancy but it is very unique place
and worth the effort!

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank mistravel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
north carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I looked at this property based on some posts I had seen in the forum. There were several posts that indicated this would be a great place to stay. It was just my husband and I and we really just needed a room instead of a cabin so we booked one of the four rooms they offer. I was a little uneasy because the website did indicate there was not a shower in the room but that there was a shared shower within 15 feet of the rooms door. We were interested in this property because we were planning to spend the day exploring Yosemite from Yosemite Village to the western entrance and then move onto to Lake Tahoe so we thought the Lee Vining area would work best. The web site made it seem like such a great place we decided to book here even though it was twice as much as the hotels in Lee Vining. The web site indicated they had great dining so we planned to eat dinner there. We were not happy with our choice. First of all these were not motel like rooms. There were several rooms in a building up the hill from the office. Each room had access to a shower that was attached to the end of the building. The room was very small with a queen bed, chest and loveseat. There was a toilet and sink in a small bathroom. There was a wall heater but no air conditioning, Nothing else in the room- not even an ice bucket. It was really pretty much like a tent cabin, but much more expensive. They quit serving the dinner menu after labor day so we could only order off the lunch menu. We decided to go into Lee Vining for dinner even though we were not crazy about driving 120 west in the dark.. We did not see the inside of the cabins but I assume they must have been nicer. I definitely would not stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — too rustic
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank lovingcarolina
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed September 22, 2006

Essentially, I agree with the previous poster's comments. We stayed here one night in September 2006; choosing this property because we wanted easy access to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite the following day. For that purpose, this was a good choice. For value, this was a poor choice. The service was okay; not terrible, but certainly not great.

We arrived at dusk for our stay. The property is about 10 minutes from the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite. The main office of the resort is a large cabin area with restaurant (counters and tables), a small gift shop (Yosemite and Tioga Pass trinkets, some guide books, candles, etc), and a desk at which you check-in. We had paid $190 for our cabin, which was a studio. I found it to be a poor value, but there was no other property this close to the Tuolumne Meadows area of Yosemite. If I were staying in the area but outside the park again, I'd check further into the Lee Vining area.

Upon entering our cabin, there were two full beds - one to the left and one to the right of the cabin door. There was a kitchen (including refrigerator, stove, toaster, coffee maker, and microwave), and a bathroom with shower. There was no coffee for the coffee maker. When I asked in the main area, I was told I couldn't have any coffee, and none would be provided. My option was to buy a can of $9 coffee or go without. I went without. The cabin was perfectly serviceable; I just found it to be priced very high for what we got. But then, as it was the only property in the area, I suppose they could charge what they wish.

The only meal we ate at the resort was breakfast. It was fine. The cook was listening to reggae music, which we had no choice but to listen to while we ate. The server was fine, if diffident. The meal itself was nothing spectacular, but fine (although the sausage was odd-looking and tasting; I'd order the bacon instead, and ask for it to be crispy). Eggs, potato, sausage and toast was $8.

The scenery in the area is beautiful, of course. It's a great location for people who wish to hike in the area, or who wish to be near but not in Yosemite park.

As the previous poster noted, the only way to contact the resort is via email. The resort does have a website. I had tried to contact them on more than a handful of occasions through the winter months, but received no reply until around April. My guess is that they don't pay much attention to their email during the winter months when they are less busy. I found it to be annoying, as I was trying to solidify my trip plans and I didn't know if I'd be able to get a reservation. Once they did contact me, I was told to send in a check for $100 as a deposit (I never received a receipt via mail or email despite my request). I then received an email confirmation about a week or so before my stay.

All in all, the stay was fine. The cabin itself was certainly serviceable, and the location - for our purposes - was great. I wasn't happy with either the service we received (particularly their responsiveness) or the value. I wouldn't stay here again for those reasons.

• Liked — Location to Tioga Pass Entrance to Yosemite
  • Disliked — Poor value
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out Lee Vining accomodations. It's a little further from the entrance, but you might find a better value.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
16 Thank tarapup
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Tioga Pass Resort has some great things going for it, but you should know what to expect: it's not really a resort; it's a bunch of rustic cabins and cottages, catering more to cross-country skiers, fisherman, hikers, etc. Its main advantage is that, other than Tuolumne Meadows Lodge (also misleadingly named - it's not a lodge but a group of tent cabins) in Yosemite, it's the closest accommodation, by about 30 minutes, to Tuolumne Meadows, the nearby Yosemite high-country draw, a few miles down the road. It's also right in the mountains and has a highly-regarded (if rustic) restaurant which in my experience lives up to its reputation.

And good luck making a reservation - they only communicate by e-mail and are usually booked way in advance, especially since they have a return clientele who've been going there for years. Even if you can't stay there, try the restaurant anyway, and the one in the park at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, which is also good.

• Stayed July 2002
#3 of 7 in June Lake
Mammoth Mountain Inn
Mammoth Mountain Inn
#7 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes

Been to Tioga Pass Resort? Share your experiences!