“I will stay here again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Gateway Motel

Yosemite Gateway Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lee Vining
Independence, California
“I will stay here again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My out of state cousin and I met in Lee Vining and spent 3 nights. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and everything worked properly. The staff was just fine in spite of the fact that they must deal with so many travelers and tourists.... some of whom have no manners. In a small tourist town with only 4 motels this motel is plenty satisfactory. --- Elaine

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elaine D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
los angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Booked this hotel after reading all the reviews of the hotels in Lee Vining. Yes, it's not cheap but so are all the hotels there. Yes, it's dated, same as others in town. Stayed in room 9. So we had our own balcony. Nice view of the lake, but not that close as I had hoped. Room is clean enough. good TV channels, important as there is nothing much to do at night. Check in was smooth n we just left the key in the checkout box since we left early. Bottomline, don't expect 5 Starhotel service.

Room Tip: Room 9 is the only one with own balcony if that's important to you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RRla
Stockport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Awful motel. The picture we'd seen looked lovely but the reality was very different. We arrived and given our room keys. The room was very dated and not particularly clean. We had a shared balcony with the neighbouring rooms. The mattress had a protector on it that was plastic, it was noisy and hot to sleep on, the bed was also very hard. We had booked two nights but both agreed we didnt want to spend a second night and left early the next morning!
Not cheap and really not worth it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Julie F
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My sister and I had a one night stay (room 20) and thought the room was great. Didn't need air conditioning as it wasn't that hot, the room was clean and beds were very comfortable. Maybe a bit expensive but not for Lee Vining.

Great restaurant just across the road, Nicely's, went there for dinner and breakfast!

Mono lake is beautiful, recommend you take the Ranger tour, it was fantastic.

Room Tip: Room 20 was great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kath M
Midpines, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My parents and I came to the hotel really late in the evening. the room was wonderful a/c did its job beautifully. tv box didnt work they fixed that by the time we came back from mammoth that day. When my dad went to see what was wrong with the phones he got "oh they are working on it" no appology. and the map said vending machine which it did not have one and of course how late we arrived nothing was open

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank sam b
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

If I could I'd make it 3 1/2 stars. I see a number of bad reviews...I can only speak of my own experiences from two stays. Both times, my rooms were clean, and the woman checking me in was friendly. One trip I had a late check-in and she was helpful, and one time I lost my key out hiking. I expected a ridiculous charge, but she just smiled and said, 'it happens.'

As far as the noise, yes, some rooms face the road, but in my two trips there, the traffic pretty much dies after dark. And since I'm out photographing sunset at the tufas, I'm usually one of the only cars out there at that time. Most of the rooms face the lake are quiet. Most have a decent view of the lake. Someone mentioned a tree, but I'd guess that only partially blocks a room or two. I'm guessing most, if not all, the other hotels in town, are also on this road and have to deal with traffic noise to some extent.

Also, here's my opinion on why I don't consider it over priced like some reviews; some people seem to be comparing it to hotels somewhere else; I'm choosing to factor in the location and other factors, such as the fact that all the hotels in town are old, and there are only a few, so choices are limited. The town is next to Mono Lake and Yosemite...that has to be a factor, meaning a hotel of its age, caliber, etc. is going to cost more than if the hotel was in some other non-destination locale. Sure, it'd be nice if this hotel was cheaper or newer, but it seems in line with the other few hotels in the area. You're paying for location and convenience, not having to drive up from some other towns.

All in all, I'd stay here again, but I'm also open to trying out one of the other hotels if I could get similar prices.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Cal_PTH
Yreka, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

WOW! This place is so over-priced. I was expecting old but clean. That is exactly what I got. But I never expected no air conditioning... this was the worst nights' sleep I have had in a long time. I resent paying that price to sweat all night and not sleep for it. The beds are hard... you have to sleep with your windows open which makes it loud everytime your neighbors have a conversation. The staff was rude and didn't bother to tell me they would not e available after 4:30. I would NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Whispering Pines Resort
Whispering Pines Resort
#7 of 7 in June Lake
3.0 of 5 stars 80 reviews

Been to Yosemite Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!