“Saddlebag Lake”
Review of Tioga Road

Tioga Road
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Lee Vining
More attraction details
Owner description: This road, leading to Yosemite's high country, winds through one of the highest mountain passes in the state.
Apple Valley, California, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Saddlebag Lake”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at the Saddlebag Lake Campground. It was nice and small. The site have nice flat area for your tent. Some site were fantastic and some just ok. It is first come so don't be surprised if there are no sites available. We lucked out and got the last one( right next to camp host). We had a good lake view but camp host ran generator all night. We saw wildlife! Lots of birds and deer. We decided to hike the 5 mile 20 lakes loop. The cost to ride boat to other side of lake is $12. round trip. Seniors $10 and dogs $5. This cuts the 9 mi loop to 5 mi. I want to start by saying I do a lot of day hikes. I am not fast but I am good for about 7-8 I had poles and went through 3 ltr of water. We took snacks. THIS IS NOT AN EASY HIKE! If I would have written this review last week it would not have been nice. But after thinking about it it was beautiful. But the trail is very rocky. Not pebbles but 2.5 miles of ROCK! You cross over this ridge that is a huge rock! The trail is easily lost. Look for rocks piled up in a tower to show the way. Also do the hike counter clockwise. You have a big ravine to climb out of and it is easier going down than up. We had our dog and even she had a hard time. My husband had to help her up the ravine because her feet got sore. Mine were so bruised by the end! And yes I had on hiking shoes. Knees and Ankles also sore by end. The hike took us a little over 4 hours. I will not be going there again. I feel that it is important that you know in advance what this hike is like. I didn't! If you choose to do this hike take your time. Be careful and enjoy.

1 Thank Lori R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very scenic drive”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great scenery, lots of pull-off sites to stop and view and take pictures. Nice views of Half Dome from the other side that you don't see from Yosemite Park.

Folsom, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Wow - but watch out for falling rocks”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stunning, stunning views that make you suck in your breath and realise just how small you are. Mountain peaks roll into the distance under topaz blue skies whilst the road hugs winding cliffs. We were extremely lucky that two huge rocks fell a few feet in front of the car. It was gratifying to see so many people get out behind us and help move it from the road (it took six people!) I would highly recommend this route - we drove it on a perfect summer day.

Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“It doesn't get better than this!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Amazing scenery! Really, this is what the Sierras are all about. Sure crowded, though the crowds thin early and late in the day. Be sure to check out one of the high country lakes (Ellergy, Tioga, etc.)

Visited June 2013
Palm Harbor, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Twisty Windy Old Friend”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

OK if your driving a big RV or towing a trailer this might not be the best choice...This is a curvy mountain road closed in the winter. Even in a sedan the trip to Yosemite valley offers amazing views, but keep your eyes on the road... And use the turn outs if your taking your time...

Visited June 2013