“Wonderful new restuarant”
Review of Epic Cafe

Epic Cafe
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Lee Vining
Description: Epic Cafe is now open for the 2018 season...come visit us and enjoy the food, views and relaxation...!!
Reviewed October 9, 2017

While on a recent camping trip to the Eastern High Sierra, my wife and I were pleased to fine a new restaurant in the small town of Lee Vining, CA (population about 250) which is located along Highway 395, near Highway 120 which leads to Yosemite Park. The restaurant appears to be a converted house and has inside dining for about 25 people. There is also a lovely outside, park-like dining area surrounded by trees and has a view of the adjacent mountains and nearby Mono Lake. During our trip, we stopped by for both breakfast and dinner.
The breakfast menu is small but intended for travelers on the go. I had the organic steel cut oatmeal with granola, raisins and cranberries. Served with milk and maple syrup to add, this large bowl of oatmeal filled me up and was delicious. My wife had a fruit bowl and a raspberry scone and just raved about the scone, which was made that morning on site. Their organic coffee was strong and tasty but refills are a dollar each. All in all, it was a very satisfying breakfast. They also have yogurt bowls and a bagel plate for other breakfast fare. Breakfast prices range from $5 to $10. The only disappointment was they no longer serve any egg dishes for breakfast. Breakfast is served from 7AM-11AM.
Lunch is served from 11AM to closing (9PM). We didn't have time to stop for lunch, but their menu selection ranges from Panini sandwiches to cheese steak to hummus plates to Caesar salads, etc. Lunch prices range from $5 to $13. There are also daily specials such as homemade soups and a half sandwich, soup, and salad combo. They also have fresh baked daily desserts and other baked goodies.
On the last night of our trip, we stopped by for dinner. (5PM to 9PM). This is where their name of 'Epic Café' really comes to the fore. Each night, their dinner selection changes and contains 3 or 4 specially prepared meals. On the day we ate, their selections were rib eye steak, pork tenderloin, or duck breast. I had the rib eye steak which was served covered with a red wine sauce. This steak was huge and so tender and tasty. It came with some wonderfully prepared red potatoes cooked with bacon, and fresh vegetables. This was probably the best steak I've ever had. My wife had the pork tenderloin which was covered with a sauce made from locally grown apples. It also came with the red potatoes and vegetables, and my wife couldn't stop talking about wonderful it was. This meal was truly 'Epic'! Dinner prices are a bit pricy ($31 for my steak), but well worth it. This was gourmet dining in a mountain setting.
For drinks, they have a selection of juices, sparkling water, tea and lemonade. The also have a small selection of domestic and craft beers, along with moderate wine list.
The owners, Linda and David Dore, were very friendly and charming, and their wait staff very pleasant and helpful. This restaurant is one that we will visit every time we are in the area.
Oh, it should be noted that this is a seasonal place due to the harsh winters. They open from sometime in May and will close for the year sometime in mid to late October. As well as dining in, they also do take out.

1  Thank Terry W

Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

Fantastic Cafe with awesome food and fun atmosphere! The staff are very friendly and very helpful! Amazing food. Right next to Lake view lodge! Not far from Latte Da Coffee which sells great coffee as you begin your next part of the journey!

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

Awesome "locals" eatery. Great Paninis and decadent desserts. Treat yourself to an ""Epic" dining experience...

Reviewed October 2, 2017

We stopped here for dinner and were very impressed with everything about Epic Cafe. We wish we lived closer by so we could come here often. It has indoor and outdoor seating and you order and pay at the counter. The menu is extensive and the food is wonderful! My husband had a ham and cheese panini with a garden salad and he raved about both. I had quinoa tabouleh and it was fantastic. Kudos to the staff for an outstanding place to eat.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

My wife and I ate here on a Saturday night in early September. We LOVED the food, and the atmosphere - ended up eating there 4 more times during our month-long vacation. One of my all time favorite restaurants! Don't miss it when you're in Lee Vining!