“freeway treasure”

Best Western Liberty Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lebec
Reviewed April 6, 2011

with many best western motels showing their age, over priced and run by less then caring management this one is a great exception.
newly remodeled, the room was spacious and very clean.
management really made us feel they were glad to have us stay there.
their prices were inline on the moderate side. very comfortable beds and what i especially enjoyed was how quiet it was. i was concerned that being a part of a truck stop environment there would be excessive noise and i am a very light sleeper. i was pleasantly surprised that i was able to get a great night's sleep.

Room Tip: ask for aarp or aaa discount
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tricrest3

Reviewed June 18, 2010

No complaints. Room was spacious and comfortable, flat screen tv, coffee and microwave, extremely friendly staff. I did not have a reservation. Just got tired driving and pulled off I-5 when I saw a 'lodgings next stop' sign. This happened to be the place. I paid $85

My room was right next to the stairs on the second floor, and yes, I could hear people in the lobby (Celtics/Lakers game was on in the dining room), but not in any way that bothered me. Also: There is an indoor pool and jacuzzi, free wifi, free HBO, free breakfast. (Not the best, but coffee was good and you can make your own waffles)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stopped at the Best Western Liberty Inn on our way to Phoenix. We had been on the road for 24 hours and decided to stop. Good location, at the end of the I-5, with gas stations and restaurants nearby. We didn't notice the walls to be particularly thin, as previous reviewers have commented on. I guess we were too tired to notice, having been on the road for so long. The hotel was attractive, staff was friendly and welcoming, and we were able to get a nice breakfast at the Iron Skillet next door before leaving. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. Typical Best Western hospitality, and expectations were met.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VegasSusie
Reviewed January 22, 2010

While returning to San Diego, we chose to stay overnight at this facility, rather than try to drive over the Grapevine in bad weather in the dark. We called ahead of time to reserve a room, and our reservation was ready. The room was adequate--fine for overnight sleeping. Bed slightly firmer than I like, but lots of pillows. Plenty of room for the three of us. The bathroom was definitely minimalist. Like other reviewers, the walls are thin, can hear everything from the hall way (don't think there were other people in the adjacent rooms). And being right off the interstate, there is definite rumbling from the tractor-trailer rigs.
Did not take advantage of the breakfast, as we really needed to get on the road in the morning. Did notice as we were checking in that there were old pastries still left out on the counter. Would not have touched them in the am!

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We were willing to deal with a fan that sounded like a small helicopter in distress (we had to use it or we would have been up all night from the noise). We were willing to deal with screaming babies (twins) next door (very poorly insulated walls/hallways). But when I woke up to find someone else's foot dirt at the bottom of my bed...that was the straw that broke this mother's back! They had a big to do about dragging the head of the cleaning staff into the room to look. What is she going to say - yeah I don't bother putting on clean sheets on occasion? She then swore she had changed the sheets herself. To their credit...$25 was taken off of our bill. But it put us off of Best Western all together. It seems to be hit and mostly miss with this company. We stayed at one in Rice Hill, Orange/Centre Drive by Disneyland, Island Palms (San Diego), and then this one. The only one I would go back to is the one a few miles off from Disney (only issue was a very uncomfortable pull out for the kids...so much so that we had to get a cot and then pay an extra $10 so our kids could get a decent night's sleep)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and toddler in November after Thanksgiving. The room was above the lobby and the walls were so thin we could hear all the conversations the hotel staff had over the phone. The room itself was adequate. The breakfast spread was impressive with a good variety including cereal, danishes, bread and bagels for toasting, oatmeal packets, hot drinks, juice, and whole fruit. There were even some hard boiled eggs on a chilled platter which is more than what most continental breakfasts offer. I noticed that the hardboiled eggs were peeled, however, which meant that someone had to have peeled them, and I hope they had clean hands when they did that. I also noticed there were no common-use tongs to pick up the danishes/bread or eggs with, so people would just reach in and grab them, and hopefully not touch the food they were not taking. I saw one kid reach in for a danish, then change his mind, and grab another one, so I think they should provide tongs. I would recommend this place for a short stay since it is convenient and reasonable when traveling along the 5; just beware of the food hygiene.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2009

All in all, I prefer the chain hotel a few miles up the road to the south, where we stayed last time. Staying on the north side of the Grapevine is incredibly convenient, as you leave in the morning, headed north, with no traffic and a fast ride. But this hotel just doesn't deserve to be a Best Western. The rooms are very large. But the amenities are minimal for a first-class motel -- no easy chair, no Kleenex (!), low-quality sheets, a too-firm mattress, and the continental breakfast is undistinguished.

Luck of the draw, the young man who checked us in (a local college student) went out of his way to be helpful -- even offered to carry our bags, and directed me to the nearest convenience store. So I rate the service very high indeed.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank srca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebec
Ramada Limited Lebec
#13 of 63 in Bakersfield
Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South
Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South
#33 of 63 in Bakersfield

Been to Best Western Liberty Inn? Share your experiences!