“No Receipt given for $200 cash deposit”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frazier Park
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lebec
Reviewed March 13, 2011

When asked why I had to put up a cash deposit and pay in advance for the room I was told so if I destroyed the room or stole something the deposit would cover it. Those were the exact words of Mr. Ricardo Peregrina, the General Manager ofvthe hotel. When I asked for a receipt, Mr. Peregrina stated none of the staff here are thieves. After muh heated debate, Mr. Peregrina made a copy of the Manila envelope containing my deposit and handed the copy to me. It did not say received of , for what purpose, and had no one's signature. If my deposit had been stolen I would have had no formal record of the deposit. I contacted Holiday Inn customer service and Mr. Peregrina stated in his reply to them that he tried to talk to me but I kept walking. He had told me that he would be happy to charge me $200 at which time he would be able to issue a receipt. All of this could have been averted had the hotel just issued a receipt for funds they collected and held over night. I was made to feel less of a customer and humiliated. Why should I trust that I will get my money back without a proper receipt. I will now be looking to other hotel chains to give my business to after 15 years on the road as a traveling field service technician.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gordo_in_Tracy_Ca
daniela_hiexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frazier Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

Good afternoon Mr. Bill Lindley, thank you for your comments and I would like to assure you that we are making changes on the way we collect the $200 deposit. When you asked me why should you give us $200 and my answer to you was, "for insurance for the room, just in case there is any damages or something taken from the room". I really want to thank you for taking the time to write to us and make sure that any prospect guest knows how you feel and to make sure that we want to provide the best service possible.

Since your last stay, we consider your suggestions and we are making some changes, thank you again and have a nice day.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Newer hotel. We had a first floor suite that had 10 foot high ceilings, a sofa and two other nice chairs. Upscale bathroom with granite finishes. Breakfast area was cold, A/C flow needs to be better balanced so cool air does not blow on people while seated. Hotel is very near I-5 so there is noticeable truck and traffic noise and we were not on the road side of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I am stranded due to road closure on the grapevine as well as many others because of a big snow storm. After asking for a handicap room because I have Multiple Sclerosis I was told I would be called back. After 1 hr and no call back I called myself. The manager was extremely rude and went on to say he gave it away after calling me 3x's, which btw he did NOT. I was holding my phone the entire time. He also wouldn't let anyone stay in the lobby. He even called the sheriff to have them removed. Everyone is stranded here for more than 24hrs and this jerk is kicking people out into the snow storm with nowhere to go. SHAME ON HOLIDAY INN FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN. Thank God for the Dennys inside the Flying J's. Who knew that Dennys would be SO MUCH MORE hospitable than Holiday Inn in Lebeck, CA. DONT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank BaseballMomma15
Hiexpress-Lebec, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frazier Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Good morning, my name is Ricardo Peregrina and I am the General Manager in Lebec, I am very concerned about you posting because I take this very seriously, the person that was working that day it is not the Manager and he is no longer working with us, I was stock as well in Tehachapi and I couldn't make it to the Hotel due to the closure of Route 58 as well. My staff did a wonderfull job on trying to accomodate every person that we could, we have 77 rooms and I gave the indication to my staff to allowe peopple to stay at the lobby and help them as much as we can, but due to another young man that wanted to start a fight in the lobby forced my staff to call the authorities to restore the peace, I am sorry for the trouble that you encountered, and I have never turned away any person with any "handicap" person at all, the thing is that we couldn't provide you with a room because we were sold out, have a great day and I really thank you for posting your concerns, have a great day.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Stayed here December, 2010 during our holiday travels. Hit bad weather in Southern California and decided to "pull off" rather than staying on the dangerous roads. Called the 800-number and made a last minute reservation just 10 minutes from the hotel. Got a fair rate of $81 after taxes.

Very convenient to the Grapevine / I-5. Hotel was clean and comfortable, although the evening staff was not especially friendly. (However, no complaints.) Breakfast was simple, as expected. Room was comfortable and warm. Quiet halls.

Would have no problem staying here again and actually preferred this hotel to any we've stayed at in Bakersfield.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed here twice in Winter 2010. The drive from Bay Area to the Southwest is long esp during the short daylight hours of fall and winter. I hate to stop but it is necessary. The Holiday Inn Express is perfect for me. Safe? check! Doggy guest okay? check! Clean, really clean? check! Nice front desk? check! Free decent breakfast? check. Could the coffee be better? Sure it's no Peets or Starbucks but who cares, everything else is on target!
Waking up to clean mountain air on Tejon Pass is pretty good too.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my husband and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are modern and well furnished, clean and quiet. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The price was just right. The location is convenient for stopping on the way south or north. My only complaint is that breakfast wasn't great, but it was a small detail.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sm823
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed one night here with my two kids, ages 20 months and 4. We arrived at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised how nice the place was. It is not even a year old. The room was quiet (room 311) and spacious. It was very clean and had a very comfy bed and lots of pillows (each bed had 4, 2 firm and 2 soft). In the morning, they had a good breakfast buffet. Usually, I am not a fan of these kinds of buffets since it was nothing freshly made and I am kind of a food snob, but this was decent for me and great for my kids. The woman (Lizelle?) who ran it was wonderful. She took a great deal of care to make everything look nice and keep it well stocked. The buffet had omlets (premade but actually fairly tasty), bacon, bisquits and gravy, oatmeal, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, milk, coffee, tea, juice, bagels, breads, bananas, hard boiled eggs, etc. My kids loved it and had plenty to eat. The only issue I had with the hotel is that I booked a room that was a queen suite and was supposed to have a fridge and microwave, according to their website. The room did not have this, but they moved me to another room that did have it. I recommend to call and confirm the room details before booking or to book over the phone directly with the hotel. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel since it was new, clean, safe, spacious, quiet, and well priced. The breakfast buffet was great since it helped us get back on the road quickly.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family