“Sub-par Bento and experience”

Mikasa Japanese Bistro
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Lathrop
Cuisines: French, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Sub-par Bento and experience”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

On a visit with a friend who lives in the San Joaquin Valley, we chose this nearby place for dinner. Living in the SF Bay Area, Japanese food is always at the top of my list (for flavors and good healthy eating) and have it often.

We both ordered the dinner Bento box. Seemed very inexpensive compared to my usual Japanese restaurant experience. $11.95. Soon discovered why. The food was terrible.

Restaurant was nearly empty and dark inside when we went around 5pm. We were seated right away. Good thing we were next to a window --- otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed the greasy lipstick print on my water glass. Got a replacement although the waitress ignored us for awhile.

Salad and miso soup were brought next. Soup was OK but the salad was small chunks/leaf parts of pure white iceberg, drowning in dressing. First time I've ever not finished my salad with a Bento order. When my main meal came (ordered BBQ beef ribs and tempura for the two items), the beef was so tough (and looked nothing like ribs), I could not get through it, even after much chewing. After one piece, I sent it back. (That's two send-backs, which I never do, in 15 minutes).

The Bento had 3 gyozas included. They were dripping with grease (which tasted old). I tried one and it had no flavor -- except for the very tough exterior and grease --- so I didn't eat the other two. My dining partner left hers also, due to the grease.

We both had tempura. I've seriously never seen tempura cooked like that. The breading was extremely thick, orange-ish and very greasy -- like having a layer of greasy french fries around the veggies and shrimp. Tempura is supposed to be cooked in a very light batter, which comes out crispy and light in color and is not supposed to be dripping grease. I peeled off all the breading (leaving a huge pile) and found the veggies to be very over-cooked and greasy/squishy ---- not like normal tempura veggies which are crisper and look like vegetables, rather than mush. Being a tempura lover, this was awful.

Got an exchange of salmon teriyaki for the inedible, unchewable beef. Salmon was good.

All in all, the food was the worst I've ever had in a Japanese restaurant. I'd give it a zero. However, two servers did try to help us with the bad beef (probably owners, as our original waitress never returned). I thought it was funny they asked at the end if we wanted a take-out box (for all the peeled off breading and the greasy gyoza). We declined.

The restaurant was nearly full when we left and we noticed most people were ordering the sushi rolls. Guess we should have done that also. Evidently the sushi is what keeps people coming to this place but with their improper cooking/grease/cleanliness issues -- that isn't enough to make me return.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank MarlySF

“DCS ROLL IS A MUST!!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

When craving sushi, this is the place to go! The restaurant isn't large, so if you're going in on a Saturday night be prepared to wait a few minutes. The service has always been awesome since the first time we went! The sushi is well worth your money. You have to try the DCS Roll, it comes with fried asparagus and it's overall the best thing ever! This place rocks, service is awesome, love the flavored sake, and great sushi!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Anicole4114
Helena, Montana, United States
“Best Sushi”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

best sushi I've ever had. Love the owners. Great Guys.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Brian G
Monterey, California
“Japanese con fusion”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Saw the great reviews so we stopped for a bite to eat. First impression was it was dirty. Food crumbs on the floor, our table had crumbs on it from the previous guests, etc. Didn't have sushi, but ordered the bento box with tempura and Saba. Tempura was not deep fried! It was pan fried instead...I've never had it prepared this was and was disappointed. The batter was too thick and overwhelmed the shrimp. The Saba was over cooked and dry. The servers in here were friendly enough. Had to pay $4.50 for green tea! Never had to do that in a Japanese restaurant before!

California
“There IS no other place!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We have had sushi all over the states, east coast, west coast, and this place tops the list!!!!!!!!! You HAVE to try the Golden Gate roll, my fave, also they make a killer tuna ceviche with won ton chips that is hands down awesome!!!!!!!! These are the nicest folks, hubby surprised me with our anniversary dinner here with 8 close friends, it was tops!!!!!!!! I do not even go to other places, nothing compares for food, price, service, all of it!

1 Thank giraffegirl4