“Close to Larkspur Ferry”

Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkspur
Aptos, California
“Close to Larkspur Ferry”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We chose this hotel because it is within walking distance of the Larkspur Ferry, which we were going to take to the San Francisco Giants ballgame at AT&T Park. We were also confident that it would be a good place, as we have stayed in Courtyards many times throughout the years.

As expected the room was clean and recently updated. The staff friendly. The only thing I don't like about most Courtyards, including this one, is the breakfast situation. For the price, I would expect, at the least, a free continental breakfast. The only choices were a $10.95 buffet or a limited number of breakfasts for around $13 a piece. More than I wanted to eat and to spend.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
greater manchester uk
Reviewed September 8, 2009

stayed here for 3 nights in august. check in was efficient and friendly. free coffee/tea/hot chocolate was brewing next to reception which was very welcoming and a computer for free general use. easy to find off the freeways in a nice leafy residential area. had a good size room with a large vanity area which was good for doing hair and makeup. a sliding glass door led out onto a grassy area where there was a nice shaded type of pavilion for sitting/reading/eating and an enclosed swimming pool of adequate size with pool chairs and loungers around. the breakfast was a little confusing - it was not obvious what was included in the prices and no menus appeared to be on show. perhaps the management could make this clearer. 5 minutes away on foot was a micro brewery serving good food and beer where you could sit outside or inside. it had a lively atmosphere and was very popular with locals and business men. we even got a take out pizza at lunch time to eat by the pool. the ferry into san francisco was a maximum 10 minutes easy walk and was quicker to get to on foot than by car. the icing on the cake if you go in july/august is that you are away from the sea mist. it was 54 degrees in san fran and the mist hardly ever lifted and 76 in larkspur. a good enough reason in itself to stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
upstate NY
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed here over Memorial day weekend with my boyfriend. I grew up in Marin County (where Larkspur is located) but have moved to NY, so I was bringing my boyfriend back to my old stomping grounds for the first time. I am a travel agent and have always preferred Marriott properties for my clients and for myself.

I'll get to the negative first and those who want to read on can read how happy i was with this hotel. for the 4 nights that we stayed at this hotel, my boyfriend (who never complians) kept saying that the bed was too stiff and was hurting his back. He would wake up in the middle of the night and sleep on the couch in the room. He could barely move each morning until he stretched out a bit. After the first night we asked to be switched to aroom with a better bed, they didn't have any other choices of bedding but said they would put a pillow top on the mattress. The 2nd night was better with the pillow top but not by too much. We ended up just asking for a lot of extra blankets and piled them up on the bed and slept on that. The staff was wonderfull and helpfull as much as they could be. There weren't too many options for us but they sure tried to help any way they could. The rooms were nice otherwise with either a balcony or a patio in each.

I chose this hotel for the great rate and especially for the location. The Courtyard is situated behind an open air mall. The traffic isn't bad at all since the entry to the hotel is on a different road than the mall. The mall is smaller anyways and really only has a grocery store, a coffee house, Gold's Gym, and the famous Marin Brew Co. (I think there might be a vets office there too but it's small). Down the road a in one direction is The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant, also a movie theater nearby. You can walk to the Golden Gate Ferry which will take you into San Fracisco.

Marin is an ideal place if you are looking to visit San Francisco but don't know which neighborhoods are good in the city. Most of Marin is nice and safe so it's a good bet and being right across the bay from SF with ferry's running from both Larkspur Landing and Sausilito it's a good bet. Plus, being in Marin gives you access to all kinds of hiking trails, Angel Island, Mt. Tam, Muir woods the Redwood forrest, early access to Stinson beach on nice days before all the city people try to get out there, as well as all the shopping and boutiques in towns like Sausilito, San Anselmo and San Rafael.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trvlexprt097
San Diego
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I haven't stayed in a Marriott Courtyard in years, usually go to Residence Inn. Based on this experience, I will never go back to a Courtyard.
TV:
The television was a CRT rather than a flat screen. The input controls were locked so that I could not hook up my laptop and see it on the TV screen, but you could purchase all kinds of movies and games, even by accident, with their "special" remote control.
Breakfast:
Not free, but the same fare as you would get at a free buffet. There is no greeter and no sign, so you can accidentally assume it is free and end up paying $14.99 per person. Very tacky.
Rooms:
Double Queen. Large enough room, not as big as most Holiday Inn Express rooms I have been in. A little mildew in the bathroom. Doesn't bother me in general, but I expect better from an upscale hotel. Sheets felt like they had not been rinsed, made my eyes water. No lotion, not a big deal, just expected it. Mini-fridge, no microwave, just for reference. Low water flush toilet. Took two to three flushes to make it get anything down. Beds comfy enough.

Most staff friendly and helpful, manager not so much.

Bottom line, been to much better, will never go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Ghostwheel
Richmond, TX
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My wife and I booked a stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Larkspur from July 12 through July 19. We stayed in a wheelchair accessible room with a king bed that was roomy enough to accommodate the wheelchair, both in the living area and the bathroom. The bath area consisted of a tub with safety bars on multiple levels, a fold-down seat if needed, and a hand-held shower that could be attached to a securing rod if necessary. The tub was a bit snug, and I'm an average-sized guy, and it occurred to me that a large person might have a more difficult time sitting directly inside the tub, and would have to rely on the fold-down seat.

The bed was a bit firmer than we like, but we never woke up with soreness or aches and pains. Our room came equipped with an iron, ironing board, refrigerator, and hair dryer, all of which we utilized; there was also a coffee maker that we did not use. Housekeeping was efficient, and the few times we needed to speak with someone at the front desk, we were treated very courteously. In the lobby there is a desktop computer that can be used without charge, and only once did we have to wait for someone else to finish using it before we could get on it. The lobby also provides complimentary coffee 24 hours a day. We used the hot tub a couple of times ... the water is well heated, although about half of the whirlpool jets seemed to be barely working. We didn't use the pool, although I noticed that for a large part of the afternoon, the pool was covered by shade.

The negatives: There was no personal safe in the room. Although the noise level was pretty quiet throughout the hotel, the noise of slamming doors coming from the hallway was mildly irritating. Also, on our side of the hotel there was an apartment complex being built about a block away, and on two mornings we were awakened by the sound of hammering and buzzsaws, although in fairness this did not occur until after 9:00 a.m. We did not try the breakfast offered in the lobby of the hotel, since we felt that $13.95 per person was a bit high. We opted instead for coffee and a danish at the Starbucks across the street. One final negative: there are very few restaurants nearby, so be prepared to travel to eat dinner.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We got a great rate at this hotel, where we stayed for three nights in mid-July. It's easy to get to area attractions, from Napa, Redwoods, to San Francisco. Each room has a lovely balcony with chairs. Ate at the Marin Brewing Company across the street, which was open late and was pretty good. There is a Starbucks across the street, too. Free parking and internet. Ferry to San Francisco (Fisherman's Wharf) nearby (could be walkable, but free parking at ferry terminal). Very comfortable room and location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I was in this area for business in early July and spent two nights at the Courtyard Larkspur Landing. I've used this property several times over the past few years for similar business trips. On arrival, the greeting was friendly, my elite status with Marriott was acknowledged and my ship ahead package was waiting for me.

The location is quiet, with shopping (restaurants, Starbucks and a movie theater) nearby. The drive into San Francisco is about 30 minutes and requires a $6 toll over the Golden Gate. The ferry takes a bit longer. If you want to spend most time in the city, this is close but will require travel. Location is great for central and southern Marin County cities though.

The room was a standard Courtyard room, clean and bright, furniture relatively new, although they could update to flat screen televisions with all the input options to be more current. Housekeeping was great during my stay and checkout was efficient. I will stay here again next time I'm in the area on business.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larkspur
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County? Share your experiences!