“Wow... Snooty Front Desk Help”

Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkspur
From Oregon
“Wow... Snooty Front Desk Help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

First off, let me say that the room was nice, but predictable. It's your basic Marriot in a nice location. I heard a bit of traffic noise from the upper floor room, but all in all ... a comfortable and very corporate inn.

Now for my story. Walked into the hotel after the Giants playoff game. We were not dressed well as we were attending a Giants game, but definitely did not look like rag-a-muffins. The front office clerk (name unknown, but her name tag said she was from Petaluma, CA) looked us up and down and basically made us feel like hicks. I don't drink, so no alcohol was involved. Anyway, I booked a room and I felt as if she needed to get approval from corporate headquarters to allow people in jeans and t-shirts a place to stay for the night. She even made a comment when my credit card was approved... something along the lines of, "Well, that's a surprise!" The other desk clerk was much friendlier, but Miss Petaluma was not a pleasure to deal with... won't be staying here again as the hotel is much ado about nothing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeetarMonkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Richland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I loved this Marriott. We traveled here for a wedding in the area so the hotel was selected for us. What a great surprise. Well appointed, fresh, and lovely staff. Our room was on the first floor so we had a sliding door that opened onto the courtyard. There was a beautiful patio area with furniture and a gas/glass fire pit to lounge around. The look and feel of a much higher class hotel. It made a wonderful area to sit and visit with family/friends.

There was not a free breakfast with a delightful cafe was open all day with a great menu and food.

I would stay here even if I were going to San Francisco. Larkspur is a beautiful little community with a waterfront market and shops. Many young family were out enjoying the lovely atmosphere. Lots of cute little restaurants to choose from. It was a quick 15 minute drive over the Golden Gate bridge to the city and fisherman's wharf etc.

highly recommended

Room Tip: We loved the first floor room facing into the courtyard. We happened to be half way between the pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

1 night business stay. 3rd floor - room 305. Small but nice balcony overlooking west side of hotel. Nice sunset. Easy access to the ferry - within walking distance - even has a wonderful pedestrian bridge. Room was very quiet, functional and efficient. Bed was comfy. Room had a long desk with pull out roller type work service. Couch and TV. Front desk staff helpful with check-in and out and early morning were quick with recommendations for my pre-breakfast "still dark outside" run routes that they considered safe. There is a very nice series of shops and resturants right across the street. The courtyard was very well done - very inviting. Breakfast staff was pleasant, quick and provided very nice service. I hope we win the business so I can stay at this location! I would stay here on my own dime.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We always stay at this lovely clean, upscale Courtyard by Marriott, as our children live in Marin County. But as the hotel is just across the street from the ferry to San Francisco, it is a quiet and convenient (and depending on time of year, reasonable) alternative for high priced San Francisco hotels. The staff is extremely friendly. We stay two or three times a year, and are greeted by name when we arrive. Rooms are clean and quiet. Nicer rooms have small balconies.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here for buisness and in all the buisness and famaily trips I have made, I have never stayed here before. It close to San Francisco and close to the wine country for a day trip. I ate in the Bistro and was very suprised how good the food was, even with a limited menue. Many guests were eating there, because of the ease and certainly the "front desk" advertising did not help. The wines servered were fresh and the staff very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor open up into the courtyard and pool. There is also an indoor pool as well.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
wing_girl01
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very disappointing for a Marriot. The bed was as hard as a rock with a mattress pad that was no thicker than a tablecloth and cheap pillows that are impossible to get comfortable on. At 3AM I finally used the comforter from one bed as a cushion on the other just to try to fall asleep before a body limb went numb or started hurting. At 4AM I opted to have a stuffy room as opposed to being awakened by the cheap wall unit AC rattling on every time I was ready to doze off. Then at 6AM all the hallway noise from other guests getting ready for their days started up. I literally had no sleep and I typically sleep in hotels just fine. As the final straw, I was just about to wash my tired, puffy face in the morning and realized I was staring into a mildew stained washcloth.

Room Tip: a good room would be at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wing_girl01
spahl495, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We truly appreciate your concerns and will share them with our staff. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any challenges you experienced at our hotel. Your comfort is our top priority, we are very sorry that you did not experience a restful stay.
Our hotel will be undergoing a complete room renovation in the next couple of months. This includes brand new mattresses. We hope you will consider returning when the renovation is complete.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I enjoyed staying in this courtyard location. The staff welcomed us warmly. The ferry is walking distance. It's easy access to Golden Gate Bridge and Sausalito and Petaluma to the north. The room size is quite big.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larkspur
BEST WESTERN Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County? Share your experiences!