“Has definitely evolved with the times”

Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkspur
Santa Ana, California
“Has definitely evolved with the times”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This was my first stay at this Courtyard, although I feel I've known the hotel since 1994 since I used to book it over the phone for customers when I worked for Marriott. I never understood why it was the most coveted and most expensive location in the chain. Now Ido! Whereas Courtyards were originally built to cater to the business traveler, this one is in a lovely tourist area practically across the street from the Ferry terminal, making it beyond easy to get into San Francisco, yet escape to the quiet of Larkspur at the same time.

The hotel was built before the internet, and used to be not such a high tech operation. Today, there's free ccomputers in the lobby and everything sports a fresh remodel. For the most part, it's all very nice, although I do miss the simplicity and perceived greater "comfort" of the old lobby from the 90s. It's a bit more corporate and sterile now, and doesn't feel as inviting to just linger in. From looking at old pictures, I see that the new "Bistro" looks nothing like the old "Cafe". Unfortunately, the buffet did not survive, which is a shame since all of the a la carte items are overpriced. I received a 15% off dinner coupon at check in, which was useless since it's still cheaper to go elsewhere even after that small discount.

Staff was so-so; the elderly lady who checked me in didn't speak a word until the very end when she seemed to do a 360 in attitude, mustered up a smile and wrote her name on the key card and told me to ask her if I needed anything. All well and good, but prior to that, I was made to feel like I was a bother by walking in to check in at 2pm. LOL!

The signature gazebo is now gone. Don't know why, but that's a shame, as that's what "made" a Courtyard originally. Pool has new LED lighting which is pretty and indoor jacuzzi is very nice. This location does not seem to house as many business travelers as it does LOUD children, so be aware. By 7am, I was forced awake by noisy guests in the corridors. Walls are not super thick. If you need quiet, make sure to request the 2nd or 3rd floor and perhaps towards the back. Rooms facing into the courtyard are always nice.

Chair at desk in room is too low to effectively "compute" so I had to put a couple pillows from the bed on the seat. Pillows, btw, are very thin but if you use 3-4 under your head, you'll sleep well. Sheets are not as soft as at a full service Marriott, but that's the price point difference, I suppose.

All in all, I'd love to come back when prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Request inside courtyard, or off the 1st floor if you want quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Colorado
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have stayed here 3 times in the past few years for business. It has always been a nice hotel, but they are just finishing a remodel and it's very modern, sleek and nice! The staff has been helpful and the rooms are very comfortable.

It's also within walking distance to the San Francisco ferry...great location!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a typical courtyard. 3 floors with midrange Marriott mattresses. Decent Starbucks lounge and accessible off the 101. Useful as it is about 500 feet from the larkspur ferry terminal to get into San Francisco proper and decent access to all other area attractions. I am a Marriott chain person and this is a very familiar layout for courtyard. I would recommend this spot when downtown Marriott locations such as the Marquis are priced in the 400s.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank riqstar
Mill Valley, California, USA
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Full disclosure: I am a Marriott frequent member due to business but had always stayed at their more upscale properties for business. We were renovating our home and needed a place to stay for 12 days and this Marriott was very convenient. But I was very surprised at the quality of the amenities (computer terminals, Bistro, healthy vending machines, pool, 24 hour workout facilities) the good and up to date condition of the property and the attentiveness and service attitude of the staff. We will be considering the Marriott Courtyard properties more often in our travels.

We especially liked the refrigerator in the room, free wireless and the choice of pillows...in a Courtyard. Where have I been?

Room Tip: Kids use the pool and while I thought their screams of joy at playing Marco Polo were delightful, yo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Gigi-ray
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Me, my wife and a couple of our friends stayed there for three nights at the end of July. Having stayed in other Courtyard hotels and being a loyal Marriott customer I had a fairly good idea of what to expect, but the hotel surpass my expectations. The rooms were good sized and very clean (we stayed at another hotel during our drive from Los Angeles and it was awful).
The area itself it's beautiful, only a short 25 minute ferry ride from the San Francisco ferry port, so I was happy to have chosen this hotel and not a downtown hotel. The best thing about it was the service. We have come to expect a good level of service having travelled all over the Middle East and Europe, but these guys really do go above and beyond. We had booked a taxi to take us to the Airport, having told the company that we were four adults with five suitcases. However they sent us a small car and we were not able to fit. A gentleman called Michael, who was either the Front Office or Hotel Manager, without hesitating said he would drive us to the nearby airport shuttle so that we wouldn't miss out flight. That's what I call going above and beyond (he had to do two trips!).
I highly recommend this hotel is you are passing by San Francisco, it's a great base and the location and service was much better than expected.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrFelipe
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We arrived late and left pretty early so I can't comment on too much other than the room. I did notice the courtyard on our way out though, and it was beautiful. We used our Marriott points so I can't comment on the price either, but I'm sure it's better than staying in San Francisco. We had a king bed and it was a typical Courtyard room. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were in great condition. If we were in the area again, we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen W
Monroeville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We wanted to visit San Francisco but not stay there. This was a super alternative about 15 miles away . We were pleased with this hotel. The check in was easy. The room was a spacious king suite overlooking the courtyard . A well manicured patio with firepit was situated in the center. The pool was a short walk away. We went to use the pool but found the water a bit chilly. Everything seemed updated and well kept. We ordered from the hotels restaurant later that evening and watched the ballgame. The menu is limited but Jannah the chef was extremely helpful and accommodating . The surrounding area looked like it had once a thriving shopping area. We noticed many businesses were closed. Sausalito was a town a few miles away that we happened to find. It had the waterfront eateries shopping, boats and walking paths along the bay. Very beautiful !

Room Tip: visit Sausalito
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larkspur
Best Western Plus Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County? Share your experiences!