“Oxford Lancaster”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Lancaster
San Jose
“Oxford Lancaster”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our stay was good as usual! We have stayed here many times since we have family in the area and we will keep coming back. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is friendly, the location is convenient and breakfast is great!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Sheba D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Apache Junction, Arizona
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Let me start off by saying that the Staff was very Professional. We enjoyed our stat except for some of the time that we spent in the pool. Our room was pretty small, but it was clean and was very fresh the whole time that we stayed. The bar area was nice and their breakfast was pretty good. My only real issue with the Oxford Inn is the pool area. We stayed in a little area about 5x5 and had to ask one of the children to stop splashing where we were sitting in the pool. I really don't think he understood English and it didn't seem to matter with the child's parent that was not even wearing a bathing suit in the pool. Both parents of the 6-7 children in the pool were not wearing bathing suits and if they are not going to follow pool rules then why should their children. My only problem with the staff came outside in the pool area, they need to have someone check out the area when there is a crowd in the pool, not when there are only two people in the pool. I enjoy going into the pool when I stay at a hotel while on vacation, this is actually a reason enough for me not to return to the Oxford Inn. It's a shame as except for that it was a very nice stay. If not for this issue, I would give an Excellent Rating. And again, I would like to say that the Staff in the hotel were very professional inside of the building.

Room Tip: I would not suggest a Poolside Room as no one from the Oxford Inn enforces the Pool Rules and it can...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hercules, California
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The staff at the Oxford Inn Suites Lancaster made what could have been a bad or sad experience, the most comfortable, relaxing, & enjoyable ever! I felt like Royalty! Oxford Inn is the only hotel in Lancaster, Palmdale area that offers shuttle service, so no need to rent a car, That made my 3 day 3 night stay exceptional, the hospitality was above & beyond anything I've ever experienced. My room was very clean, the cleanest I did not have to worry about food or transportation it's included, how cool is that!!!!!!!! Loved it & Oxford Inn is the only place I will stay when visiting Lancaster/Palmdale area on a scale of 1-10, Oxford Inn Suites is off the charts! 20!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Recently I found myself unexpectedly in Lancaster. I had to find a reasonably priced hotel with a decent pet policy. Luckily I was able to narrow my search to just a few hotels. The Oxford Suites had the best pet friendly policy of all (seriously great) and the nicest and most helpful gentleman on the phone. I booked the room in about 5 minutes and arrived 15 minutes later with all my accommodations ready to go. I enjoyed my visit and the convenience the suites offered. It was also great that they had alternative dining so close. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked a variety of rooms and a meeting space here and I was assisted by the most amazing staff - special shout out to Brittney Tumidanski and Melissa Battiste, who went above and beyond to make sure that I had all the rooms figured out (and I kept making lots of changes!), as well as everything I needed for the meeting room, and were nothing but patient and so lovely to deal with the whole time!! I know the staff also enjoyed their experience at this hotel and the price was perfect for our budget.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I were in town for a family gathering (we had nearly 10 rooms reserved) and were happy to be staying in the same hotel close to local family. This property has a lot of positives, and a few things that need to be addressed. Over all the value was EXCEPTIONAL.

The hotel was sold out over the weekend we were there and the place was jammed with several softball teams and their family members. Although this posed some significant challenges for patrons and staff, everything seemed to work out OK.

Pros:
The staff here is definitely the biggest pro. I have stayed in MANY hotels around the globe and I was thoroughly impressed with the entire staff at this property. Everyone was friendly and willing to take any steps possible to make the stay comfortable and enjoyable. We had interaction with staff members on a number of occasions and NEVER did they respond with even a hint of negativity or lack of enthusiasm.
We had a few maintenance issues and they were all dealt with quickly and professionally.
There is available hot, cooked to order breakfast (some limitations on what is available each day) and dinner each day (no dinner on Sunday nights), and two drinks per person per night at the bar on site. The breakfasts were on par to slightly better than other properties, but I can not comment on the dinners as I was not there for any of those meals.

Cons:
The property is showing its age and needs some things addressed. The TV in our room did not have a good signal the entire length of our stay (4 nights) and could not get resolved by on-property personnel. However, they did address the issue to the best of their ability (even after normal hours on Friday) and credited my bill substantially for the inconvenience -- without having to be demanding or controversial.
The common areas (bar, pool, breakfast area, outside) are in need of some upgrades and cleaning. Most of the pool area umbrellas are broken, carpets in the hallways were in need of some serious cleaning (NOTE: the condition of the carpets may have been due to the high volume of people in the hotel, and many of them being dirty softball players!), and the surrounding grounds were showing signs of needed cleaning (cigarette butts and general garbage strewn around the parking lots and courtyard). I would suggest that there be restrictions on smoking locations and better policing of the grounds for garbage.

Room Tip: Stay out of rooms 403 and 405 for the TV issue
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingTexan63
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very nicely redone 4-story hotel, conveniently located near a variety of eateries, gas stations, Winco, and Costco. A dozen steps from the hotel’s front door is a Marie Callender’s restaurant, which shares the parking lot and sometimes makes finding a spot to leave your car a bit challenging. The hotel is less than a mile from Hwy 14, a major connector between L.A. and points north, as well as on the doorstep of Avenue K and 10th Street West, two of the main arteries running east-west and north-south respectively in the Antelope Valley.
The Oxford’s lobby is cheery, with several conversation groupings and comfy furniture. The tiny “business center” is located in one corner there, affording little privacy but completely adequate for printing boarding passes or doing a quick Google search. Of course, if you bring your laptop or tablet, you can use the free Wi-Fi in your room for more personal internet activities such as email. The bar (where you can get 2 free drinks of wine, beer, and/or soda each night) is cozy. It spills out into the dining area where a hot breakfast is served daily and a light dinner is served 6 evenings a week. When the hotel is close to full, there don’t seem to be enough tables to accommodate everyone, even with the flow of guests in and out of that area over the period of time these meals are offered. In summer, though, some of the overflow can use the 4 or 5 extra tables outside on the patio by the pool; in winter, probably not such a desirable alternative. I used the exercise room and was pleasantly surprised at its size and diverse equipment. There were 2 TV’s, fresh workout towels, and a dry sauna. The large bathroom had a nice, big, tiled shower. Everything was well-kept and operational.
Complimentary coffee, water, and fresh fruit are always available. A cookie platter is offered at the front desk every afternoon – a ummy, homey touch. The front desk staff is wonderful – polite, warm, and service-oriented, every single one of them, but I have to include a special shout out here to Brent and Ebony, who were both exceptional examples of those three traits. And while I’m name dropping, a special thank-you to Jewell Norris, who did a fine job in changing out my noisy a/c unit for a brand new one in a quick, neat, and timely manner after I mentioned my concerns with the front desk. In fact, from the kitchen staff to the housekeeping staff, to the maintenance staff, to the front desk personnel, to the management (especially you, Mauricio Flores) – everyone tries to ensure that guests have a wonderful stay.
Pretty pool and Jacuzzi area, replete with adjustable loungers and small tables. It’s surrounded on 3 sides by the hotel’s balconied rooms, and by a high cinder block wall on the 4th, and felt quite private, considering it’s located in a very busy part of town.
My Queen Studio room, which overlooked the pool, was more than adequate for my needs. It was clean (even the bathroom vents and bath tub drain!) and well-stocked with fluffy towels and lined trash cans. Mirrored closet doors made the sleeping area feel larger than it was. The glass slider really did cut out 90% of the constant traffic noise and the din from screaming kids in the pool from 10am until 9pm. The bed was comfortable and the linens of good quality. As one who suffers from irritant asthma, I was delighted that the bedding didn’t have that residual Clorox smell that you sometimes have to deal with.
A couple of minor, nit-picky observations: only one elevator sometimes made for a bit of a longish wait to ride up or down, and I found the air freshener output in the hallways very overwhelming (not in a good way), but that might be due to the asthma and my sensitivity to certain airborne chemicals.
The only big issue had to do with smoking. Oxford advertises itself as a 100% non-smoking hotel; however, as of the date of my visit, it definitely was not that. Although there was a sign in the elevator proclaiming the 100% non-smoking status, older signage did not reflect that same policy, and no one really enforced the policy anyway. There were some ashtrays in the pool area and guests smoked freely on their balconies and on the benches right in front of the hotel entrance. There was even a tented gazebo along one side toward the back of the property where folks could go to smoke. It’s not as though cigarette smoke stays only where it’s produced; it travels through the air and permeates the area around it, including the room, the clothes of the smoker, and wherever that smoker may go after having a cigarette.
I did have occasion to talk with the assistant manager about the smoking problem around the pool and back patio, initiated because I had to leave that area on two occasions when other guests lit up within 15 feet of me. The explanation that he offered me was that the hotel is in the process of transitioning from a partially smoking facility to a 100% smoke-free facility, and that the transition is taking time (5 months so far). I do understand the delay, but I think that the advertising, then, should explain that as well, so that people who are strictly looking for a non-smoking property for whatever reason can choose somewhere else to stay and have the opportunity to fully enjoy the amenities that they’re paying for.
After our conversation, the assistant manager did make an effort to discourage smoking around the pool by removing the hotel’s ashtrays from that area. He assured me that, over the next few months, guests making reservations will be advised that this Oxford Inn & Suites has become a totally smoke-free property and that that policy will be not only encouraged, but enforced. I hope that this is true, because that change would make this hotel 100% perfection. I would love to stay here again, next time on a longer term basis, since in every other way (especially the people working there), the Lancaster Oxford Inn & Suites is a reasonably priced, wonderful, coming-home, away from home experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank twosteptweetie
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Inn & Suites Lancaster, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate that you took the time to write such a comprehensive review, acknowledging team members and sharing the details of your stay. We will share your thoughts with our staff, and make the appropriate adjustments. We hope we will have the pleasure of serving your lodging needs in the future. Thanks again!