“Totally unexpected flavor combinations”
Review of Steers Burgers & Fries - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Steers Burgers & Fries
Cuisines: American
Arnolds Park, Iowa
“Totally unexpected flavor combinations”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

You have to like a restaurant that has the courage this one shows. Their logo is simple sans serif font, white on red. It gets your attention on a crowded street. Hey, it pulled me in!

Steers Burgers & Fries, operated by Australians, brings an exciting opportunity to the lowly hamburger. The menu is pretty well dominated by beef -- steaks are a specialty -- but you can get some salads there, along with pulled pork, ribs, chicken and other popular entrees..

The Aussie Burger is my example of "unexpected." For lunch, I ordered the 6 ounce burger (plenty for me) that comes with lettuce, tomato, bleu cheese crumbles and pickled beets! Stop sneering -- it works like you wouldn't believe. A bite starts with a strong hamburger flavor, then you get some of their special sauce, followed by the tangy interaction of the beets and bleu cheese.

Our server said they blend and make their own hamburger patties (unlike other restaurants that buy them pre-made). Why? In the grind they fold in some pepper flakes for an extra not-quite-hot snap to the beef. They also make their own unique dipping/burger/fries sweet chili sauce. The server said this is used in their pulled pork, ribs, and some of the chicken dishes, too.

We also ordered sweet potato fries (crispy and delicious, but probably factory), O-rings, and regular fries. To keep it special, Steers dresses their tables with their own labeled ketchup and steak sauce.

My companions, not known to be heavy beef eaters, completely cleaned their plates -- a true testimonial to the quality this proprietor puts into their food. I even ordered my burger medium rare and it arrived . . . . . medium rare.

So, go often and work your way down and across the lengthy menu -- you won't be disappointed.

There's only thing I would change: the beer and wine menu is extensive, but I would try to capitalize on the Australian heritage -- import some of the regional beers that that country is famous for, like the workingman's brew, Victoria Bitters.

Next time I'm in town I will make a point of showing up here on a Friday evening. When I do, I hope the place is hoppin'!

• Visited April 2013

Lakeside, California, United States
“Great tasting burgers!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I like the food! Nothing I've had has disappointed me. Their chicken salads are big and fresh. I love the marinade that comes with anything you order as well as the BBQ sauce. They have a spicy chicken burger that is really tasty!

Visited January 2013
San Diego, CA
“AWESOME! Lakeside needed a place like this!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am always on edge about and am prepared for the worst when trying out a new start up restaurant, but I was pleasantly surprised when I left Steers Burgers & Fries. When you enter, you order first from a basic menu of a half dozen burgers, along with drinks and fries. You are given a number and you sit at a table and enjoy yourself. The server will keep your drinks topped off and bring your food to you when it is done. The burgers were absolutely the best I have ever had. The meat was marinated and seasoned to perfection and were so huge that I couldn't finish, and I’m not usually one to leave anything on my plate. The fries were awesome and the BBQ sauces were delicious. I recommend this place with two thumbs up!

• Visited July 2012