“A Great Place for a Family”

and 1 more site!
Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed August 3, 2006

My husband, daughter (age 9) and I stayed here for 4 nights in July 2006 on a trip to San Diego. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. I worked out in their fitness room daily with a great view! The pool is very nice and the entire facility is very clean. The rooms are large with beautiful bathrooms. We spent our days in San Diego visiting the zoo, beach, etc. This hotel was about 20-25 minutes from our destinations but well worth the little extra drive. The price/value is great!! We really liked the fact that the casino was in a separate building from the hotel (obviously we didn't stay here for the gamling). There was a great little food court (coffee shop, Mexican food place, Asian place, burgers, etc.) where we ate a few times. I would recommend this hotel highly to families looking for a great place and a great value!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank watsclan

Reviewed May 23, 2006

After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, my husband and I were a little nervous to spend a weekend at Barona. But I took some pictures to hopefully ease some of you future visitors. Our room was a decent size with a view of the golf course. The bathroom was also a decent size and I really liked the separate shower and bathtub. (See pics for more details)

The weather was great so we spent lots of time at the pool. The pool is not huge, but it was fine for us since it was never that crowded. We were always able to get lounge chairs no problem. And the plus side is they do offer poolside service and that includes ALCOHOL! They only have a couple of girls working so it is a little wait to get drink/food service.

The casino was busy during the evenings, but I was always able to find open tables to gamble at. The dealers were OK, some friendlier than others. Even tho we didn't win, we still had a fun time. Yes it's true that they don't serve booze there ... but if you know this beforehand and "pack" accordingly you should be fine.

We had dinner one evening at the Barona Steakhouse (they do serve alcohol here). The food took a while to come out, but when it did the my portion was huge! I wasn't able to finish half of my lobster dinner. However my husband ordered the steak and he mentioned it seemed thinner compared to other steakhouses.

We would definitely come back to Barona if they had a special rate on the rooms. Anything under $100/night would definitely be worth it.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank bebe624
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2006

As a resident of southern California we wanted to take advantage of a special promotion in the casino available to residents of the area.
The rooms were nice and the entire resort was very clean and neat.
The buffet and steak house were both better I think than the Las Vegas ones I have been too. The prices were resonable and I enjoyed them both.

Because of the promotion beeing offered, the casino was packed. There are not enough machines. People were STANDING IN LINE FOR SLOT MACHINES!!
If you are planning a trip, I suggest you find out if there are any special events or promotions running, or you may wind up watching other people win! Also some people were playing more than one machine at a time and not enough security to do anything about it. It wouldn't matter at a slow time like late at night, but again people were standing in line to gamble!

You should try to stay there during the week, when I would think it would be much less crowded.
And remember, you can only order alcohol through room service or in the steakhouse bar, you may want to "pack accordingly".

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 12, 2006

the barona is a DRY casino. i've heard of dry college campuses, but a DRY casino????? when you play a hand of blackjack, you often want a cocktail to go with it. i think the website should advertise this fact. i went back and looked at the website after my trip, and couldn't find this information anywhere, not even in small print. no mini bar in the room either. you can order a drink from your room, but you have to wait for room service to deliver it. or, you can get a drink in the steakhouse, but you have to order dinner with it. the rooms were fine. we stayed in the mission suite, which was roomy, but not especially comfortable. the "ambience" spa is a not a real spa -- it is a converted suite. i actually had my massage in a bathroom. (the toilet is covered in velvet to look like some sort of throne.) if you're looking for a quick getaway, a little blackjack, and a couple of cocktails, barona is not the call. go to pechanga or morongo.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank LosAngelesCourtney
Reviewed August 7, 2005

After a long fight with traffic and a few twisty roads, we finally arrived at the BVR. The driveway is impressive and you begin to think you just may be in for a good time. We parked and were given a ride by a nice valet in a golf cart. The lobby was very small and tranquil. Unfortunately, the front desk agent was very rude and did ended our illusion of "impressed". She put us in a room that smelled like smoke and had a view of the parking lot. After returning to the front desk, a different agent accommodated us and put us in a better smelling room with a view of the golf course.
We had reservations at the Barona Steakhouse. We had to walk over to the Casino via an outside pathway(the indoor walkway was having work done). The restaurant is smack in the middle of the casino. If you dont like smoke, hold your breath until you get to the restaurant. Inside is nice but small. All the food was excellent and Andres was an excellent server.
We ventured into the casino after dinner and it was very crowded. You then realize that there is no liquor in the casino! No bar either....not sure why, but was told it was a tribal thing. On another note, because this is on a reservation, the California "no-smoking" law does not apply. After returning to the hotel we realized that there is no lounge, bar or anything in the Hotel! If you want to eat anything, its room service or walk back to the smoky casino....rather odd!
Rooms were good and very spacious. You have a nice little sitting area with couch. The balcony is just enough for one to stand on, but its a nice view of the little lake and golf course.
The grounds were really nice and the golf course looked great! I wish I brought my clubs. We went to a wedding the next day at their chapel and reception in the Golf Event building....both were very nice and had great views.
Good place for one night, but anymore than that you'll find yourself a little bored...need to have more entertainment options and services in the hotel lobby/structure.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank go2rica
Reviewed July 16, 2005

The Barona Valley Ranch is a peaceful, scenic resort. They choose to not have liquor (according to the manager) because of the winding roads leading too and from the location. Since you can have liquor in your room this sure makes sense.

Staff was helpful and happy, rooms immaculate and casino average. We were touring San Diego area and used this as our base. Much cheaper than staying near the cities and not a bad drive.

The craps players in our group could not pick up the cards only style and chose to play blackjack. Slots were crowded and tight, but after all, it isn't Las Vegas! Keep expectations realistic and you will have a great time.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank jchboss
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2005

My husband and I were commenting on the fact that we always see adults hauling babies around in this smoky, noisy casino, even in strollers (especially on Sundays after church), and you also see a lot of teenagers in this place. Isn't there some sort of regulation on this? I don't even see Barona security monitering the teenagers at all, it's like they pretend not to see them! Sooner or later there's going to be a lawsuit if this continues.

Also, while we were dining, a group of Barona Indians were eating next to us. They were spitting on the floor and using foul language the entire time. It made me extremely uncomfortable and I couldn't enjoy my meal. We complained to the manager so he offered us a complimentary meal. Other than the nice compliment of the dining manager, I think Barona needs an overhaul.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Ayres Lodge Alpine
#1 of 2 in Alpine
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 15 in El Cajon
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!