“There is a reason for no liquor...”

and 1 more site!
Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Dublin, Ohio
“There is a reason for no liquor...”
Reviewed July 16, 2005

The Barona Valley Ranch is a peaceful, scenic resort. They choose to not have liquor (according to the manager) because of the winding roads leading too and from the location. Since you can have liquor in your room this sure makes sense.

Staff was helpful and happy, rooms immaculate and casino average. We were touring San Diego area and used this as our base. Much cheaper than staying near the cities and not a bad drive.

The craps players in our group could not pick up the cards only style and chose to play blackjack. Slots were crowded and tight, but after all, it isn't Las Vegas! Keep expectations realistic and you will have a great time.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank jchboss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed June 5, 2005

My husband and I were commenting on the fact that we always see adults hauling babies around in this smoky, noisy casino, even in strollers (especially on Sundays after church), and you also see a lot of teenagers in this place. Isn't there some sort of regulation on this? I don't even see Barona security monitering the teenagers at all, it's like they pretend not to see them! Sooner or later there's going to be a lawsuit if this continues.

Also, while we were dining, a group of Barona Indians were eating next to us. They were spitting on the floor and using foul language the entire time. It made me extremely uncomfortable and I couldn't enjoy my meal. We complained to the manager so he offered us a complimentary meal. Other than the nice compliment of the dining manager, I think Barona needs an overhaul.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Downey, Ca
Reviewed May 9, 2005

Spent three nights here recently. An exceptionally nice hotel with over 400 rooms. Friendly staff. Yes it's true, no booze in the casino?? Must be an exceptionally religious tribal group. You can find liquor in the steak house. They also have a buffet which is reasonably good. In addition, they have a small food court (pizza, etc). While I didn't bring my golf clubs, I looked over their golf course and pro shop. The course looks exceptional and is very lightly played. If I did go back to this hotel, it would be for the golf. We stayed in the Mission suite which was very nice. By the way, they don't care if you bring your own booze in.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank rodeman018
Reviewed April 14, 2005

The hotel was very nice. The rooms were great, great service. BUT!!!!
I can't imagine a casino without liquor. They should at least mention this on there web site or when you are making your reservations. This was a big disappointment.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CINCINNATI OHIO
Reviewed February 28, 2005

We visited Barona Casino last July 2004 and I loved everything about it- nice rooms- good food and fair slot pay outs!!!! It is not close to me as I live in Cincinnati Ohio or i would go more often
Sandy

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank LUCKYMAMA
Winterville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2005

Living in San Diego, I've had the opportunity to go to Barona several times for gambling expeditions. The new casino area is a marked improvement over the circus style tent casino that existed previously. However, I didn't have an opportunity to stay at Barona until this past Monday and I am very happy my partner and I decided to take up Barona on a free room offer. The inside of the hotel was immaculate. Check-in was probably the quickest I have had at a hotel and literally took under a minute. The room was very spacious, faced the pool area which next time I plan on using since it looked fantastic. The room included a couch, a large, comfortable and well kept bed. The bathroom was large by normal standards and contained not only a bathtub but a separate shower as well. Amenities included a coffee maker, shower caps, soaps, mouthwash, body lotion, etc. The wake-up call was right on time.

The casino area itself has improved over time and has most of my favorite slots including Cleopatra Keno, Eagle Rock, Seal Deal, and a host of newer games. There are also games at Barona that I haven't seen elsewhere. We had the luck to bring only $200 and leave with $780. Not bad. Hit $100.00 6 times on Multi-Card Keno (6 out of 7) and hit $150.00 on Eagle Rock.

Overall, great casino and excellent hotel. Will be taking them up on their free offer in March.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank Gceres
Reviewed August 20, 2004

This is probably one of the nicest hotel I had ever stayed at. The hotel staff was wonderful, the room was very big and CLEAN. The staff totally took care of you. I went downstairs to gamble and when I came back, the maid left chocolate mints on my pillow. In the morning, they gave me a free newspaper in front of my door. They treated you very well and it cost me under $100 a night. The Hotel/Casino is located in the middle of nowhere but this is common for Indian Casinos. If you come at a busy time, its hard to find a $10 minimum BJ table. Never saw minimum under $25 for Paigow. The food here was great, buffet was better than most las vegas buffet and cafe was better than average. I really enjoyed this hotel/casino, I would recommend this if you want to get away from San Diego and want to relax and gamble.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Best Western Santee Lodge
#2 of 14 in El Cajon
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway
Viejas Casino & Resort
Harrah's Resort Southern California

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!