“Honeymoon getaway with a breathtaking view”

and 1 more site!
Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed July 6, 2004

We stayed there in October of 2003. We honeymooned in San Diego and I found this hotel on Expedia. It looked beautiful in the pictures and was I relieved to see it in person. The hotel was beautiful. It was full of gorgeous views. Our room was one of the best I have ever stayed in. Every room has a balcony and our room had a great view of the mountains and golf course. The drive was a bit far, but well worth it. The only complaint is that the casino was dry - no alcholic beverages served at all. But, there was plenty to do at the hotel. The food was great and the staff was friendly. For the price, you will not find anything better than this in Southern California!

1  Thank tadadd

Reviewed June 27, 2004

What a great little secret!. This resort was outstanding. I didn't know what to expect driving out to the boonies to an Indian Casino, but this more than exceeded my expectations. This place easily compares with the Las Vegas Casinos/Resorts.

Beautiful property: golf course views, lake, pool, etc - pay extra for the lake view room, the pool view isn't bad, but the lake view is even better!

Beautiful rooms: I felt like I was in a 5 star resort. The beds and pillow are super comfy, the bathroom is spacious and nice, and every room has a balcony.

Great food and great gaming. We won at this casino within 20 mins of playing and our money lasted a long time. They have the lastest games, some I've never even seen in Vegas. Plus they have a section of the casino that is smoke free! The food was a little pricey, but it was outstanding.

Barona is only 30 mins from San Diego (with no traffic), so the drive is definitely worth it (it seems like it's in the middle of nowhere). I've stayed in "5" star places in San Diego, for triple the price and Barona was a better place to stay.

1  Thank DJ926
Reviewed January 5, 2004

The hotel is very nice, but for $129 per night I would'nt expect anything less. I stayed in room 7001 and discovered that I was actually placed next to some sort of staffing room at the end of the hall that subjected me to all the noise the staff made through the night and early morning hours with constant chatter and door slamming. I just hope that each floor does not have one of these staffing rooms or this will not be the last time a complaint like this will not be heard by a guest. Overall if you are looking for an alternative to Vegas.....this is not the place, unless your just into the gambling aspect of it, the non-existent night life of this place makes it somewhat boring and the lack of roulette or big-6 games is disappointing.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Durham, NH
Reviewed December 31, 2003

My children and I had the pleasure of spending a few days here in July 2003 and absolutely loved it. The hotel was impeccable and very classy and the service very friendly and helpful. I loved the fact that you do not have to go through the casino to get to hotel like you do in Las Vegas establishments. The only time we had to go through there was to go to the eating establishments. Not a problem at all. The pool was not huge and we liked that as well - it was not overcrowded and was very private. The people that complained about no alcohol being served are probably not aware of the dangers the curvy, mountain roads with steep drop-offs can bring to sober drivers, let alone those who have had a drink or two. The views were stunning and I enjoyed that it was not right in the city. I loved it and would certainly recommend it. Five star hotel at low, low prices!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westminster, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2003

If you want a touch of vegas combined with a mountain retreat this is the place to go! The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The pool is heated and the fitness center has a great view. The food from room service and the buffet were delicious. The hotel and casino staff we had contact with were friendly and polite.
This is a fun place to go for couples, or singles. If you are a family with small children (we are) the entertainment options at the resort are the pool, the arcade and in room games or movies. We chose to spend the day site seeing in a town just outside of the resort. About the Casino...The slots are great starting a 1 cent on up, and we were told that the Casino is working on obtaining a alcohol license...so the hostess will offer non alcoholic beverages on her cart at this time.
The only thing I did not care for was the smell of smoke in the Casino...Overall I would say Barona is good getaway!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, CA
Reviewed August 9, 2003

Hotel prices in San Diego being what they are, we thought we'd give this place a try. Majorly impressed with the room, but that's where it starts and stops. Casino is scuzzy, staff un-friendly, pool area was tiny versus the number of guests with NO poolside area serving drinks/snacks. However the worst 2 aspects are the fact that there is no alcohol available (people are on holiday for goodness sake) and the fact that it's just too far away from San Diego (45mins drive to Gaslamp/Beaches). Pay the extra $$$ and be closer to the action or go to Vegas instead for the Casinos. Very isolated and very disappointing.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, Az
Reviewed June 25, 2003

The nicest place I have ever stayed for the price. It is worth the drive if you are wondering! Anytime I stay in San Diego I will stay HERE.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Ayres Lodge Alpine
#1 of 2 in Alpine
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!