“Good Stay, Fantastic Golf”

Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I have played golf at Barona several time before deciding to stay for a night. The rooms are incredibly spacious in size and we had a great view of the golf course. Definately request to be on the golf course side. Many complain about the alcohol policy so be prepared what you are getting yourself into before you make your reservation. It's not that big of a deal if you know what to expect. Bathrooms are really nice and compliment the room perfectly.

If you are staying at Barona you might as well get a round of golf in at one of the best courses in not just San Diego but Southern Californa. Very challenging golf course. Greens usually run very fast and rarely do you have a straight but with no break. Good views of the Barona Valley as you are playing your round.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2007

My husband and I decided to just go for one night, which I am sure glad it was only one night. The grounds and the hotel are beautiful, no complaints there. I sure wish we would have known about the no alcohol policy though. Luckily we had brought a small cooler with us. We just wanted to sit and have a couple of drinks and listen to the band they had playing, but no alcohol is allowed in the casino. So we ended up spending most of the time in the room so we could have a few drinks, we would have gambled more if we had been able to have a few drinks down in the casino.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Having been a Barona Players card holder, I was honored by their invitation for a one night's stay at the Barona Resort and was I PLEASANTLY surprised of how absolutely wonderful it was!
The phone reservation went smooth. Was asked which view I requested, golf course or mountain. Hotel parking was very close to the lobby. Check in was a breeze.
From other poker players, I had heard many times the hotel rooms were fabulous.
The 4th floor room was large with the BEST views of the many lakes and golf course. I had requested close to the elevators No outside noise from the elevators. The bed wasn't as comfy..too soft for me, but linens were at least a 10. The cleaniness of the room and bathroom were exceptional with room decor to match. Upscale toiletries. Fluffy towels. Great water pressure. Even though I did not receive a requested wake up call, I would highly recommend a stay here if you'll be coming for the golf course or a fabulous casino All in all a HIGH five and I hope I get asked back again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Last night my husband surprised me with a trip to the Barona Casino for an anniversary dinner. We went directly to the Barona Oaks Steakhouse which is their "high end" eatery.

The service was fabulous, our waiter Daniel was excellent and friendly. He didn't over hover or bug....my husband had Prime Rib of Beef (which is the piece of meat served still attached to the rib bone) and I had the two pound lobster..(hey, cmon, it was our anniversary! :o)

My lobster was absolutely incredible, we are both natives of San Diego and have eaten good seafood all our lives, but this was off the charts!

The icing on the cake of the dinner experience was a very talented gentleman by the name of Jonathan Zaragoza who tinkled the ivories (played the piano) while folks munched and chatted. He is very, very talented and the entire experience was one that we will do over and over as budget allows...

It was worth every penny...Thanks Barona for creating a top notch, elegant, high-end, romantic restaurant in the East County!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank BlueStarMama
Reviewed May 19, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying with the Barona Valley Ranch as an invited guest due to previous play in the casino. I arrived around noon, parking was ample and staff at the door were extremely helpful with luggage and main doors. Check-in was a breeze, front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating.

I was offered a golf or valley view, and happily accepted best available. I was placed in the 6th floor overlooking the golf course. The room was spacious, extremely clean with amazing attention to detail. As pictured in other reviews, the room offered an oversized bath with shower and bath tub along with bath amenities that exceeded expectations. The bed was on the softer side of comfy, and the pillows were perfect.

The casino has all of the Vegas games you'd expect, except Craps and Roulette are run a little differently. All games must have an outcome from cards - not dice or a roulette wheel. Therefore, watch a few rounds before you place that wager!! Dealers are consistently friendly and always willing to go the extra mile to ensure your gaming experience is rewarding (even if you're behind).

The casino is laid out well, however there on busy weekend nights, it can be a challenge to get around. There are several food options: 24-hour room service, game table-side dining, a food court with pizza, burgers, mexican, coffee bar, hot-dog cart, a huge international buffet (try the mongolian bbq option) and enough desserts to throw you easily into insulin shock.

The most impressive part of the property, in my humble opinion, are the grounds/landscaping. Let's just say IMPRESSIVE. You can't look around you during the day without finding landscaping crews busily at work. Absolutely incredible.

Ensure that you sign up for the player's club. You can quickly earn comps and cash back, which could make your stay complimentary based on your play. I played quite a bit, and got a call from a casino host offering an additional $200 in resort credit - which I used towards the Ambiance Day Spa.

The spa was fantastic, and I had a massage I'll never forget. They offer a wide array of services. Book early, as they're only open during the day.

One thing to consider before planning your visit is that the location is not very kid-friendly and it's literally in the middle of nowhere. It's a 20-minute drive to the nearest freeway on a single lane of traffic in each direction. It's about a 25 minute drive to the nearest mall or the zoo. It's about a 35-minute drive to downtown. Regardless, I still look forward to my next visit!

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank WookinPahNub
Reviewed May 16, 2007

We were at Barona on a business function. The room was nice sized but I found the bed a little too soft for personal preference. The bathroom was VERY nice with a separate tub and large shower. The water pressure was wonderful! I doubt if we would return here if we were paying for it simply because of the no alcohol policy. We were aware of this before we arrived so we brought some alcohol with us but we like to have a cocktail while we are gambling. We definitely would have spent more time=$$ in the casino if we could have drank. We did eat in the Steakhouse and our meal was good.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank CStorm
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I visit Las Vegas 12 times a year, gamble a ton and receive countless casino comps. That being said, I would say I am an authority on what to expect, how to evaluate and what is necessary to make a stay at a casino resort pleasurable and exciting. Barona completely exceeded my expectations. The view is absolutely amazing, I had a Golf course view and every room has a balcony or a patio if you are on the ground floor. The staff was beyond friendly and accomodating and went out of their way to provide excellent customer service. I have seen many reviews stating this is not a facility geared towards children. I would like to clarify that Las Vegas DOES NOT cater to children or families, either. As a matter of fact, they would prefer if only 21 and up people stayed in their resorts. The reason Las Vegas has activities for children is so that the parents can leave their children with a group and go off and gamble. Barona is an Indian nation which relies on gambling revenues for their way of living. As a result, they are not going to encourage children in this facility. Additionally, this is a world class golf resort. Golf resorts do not encourage children. Overall, if you are an adult who wants to relax in one of the most beautiful settings in Southern California, play some golf or even just stare at the golf course, eat some great food and maybe gamble a little bit, this is the resort for you. If you are a family and are looking for a family friendly resort, this resort is not really close to any theme park other than the WIld Animal Park. The rooms are quite large for standard rooms, and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisSoCal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Best Western Santee Lodge
Best Western Courtesy Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#3 of 15 in El Cajon
Viejas Casino & Resort

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!