“Getting better all the time!”

China Peak Ski Area
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've been skiing China Peak since it was originally called China Peak! I have to say to say that since Tom bought it several years ago, the slopes are groomed more regularly this year. The overall atmosphere seems to be more focused on the customer and making sure we can all have a quality experience.
Now, if they would just bring back the baked potato bar at Mainstream Station, I'd be all set.
I just got home from skiing today, literally skiing back onto the chair in most cases with gorgeous blue skies overhead and nicely groomed snow underneath. A great day!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Been meaning to write a review of Sierra Summit/China Peak for a long time. I'm not going to review the mountain or lifts or snow conditions or even customer service -- the place is OK for general skiing, nothing more, nothing less.

But what I do want to talk about is the existence of the resort in general.

My story: I wanted to get OUT of L.A. for a couple days and do a bit of skiing, but wanted to avoid the crowds/costs of Mammoth and Big Bear as well. Sierra Summit was the next choice. I had visited as a kid with family back in the mid-80s and had fond memories so I looked forward to revisiting the place. When I visited as an adult, I actually stayed in the lodge for a couple nights and skied a couple days. The lodge was tired, but clean and liveable. Skiing was OK. Area was as pretty as I remembered it.

But there is NOTHING to do there or anywhere near there after you go skiing. NOTHING. Absolutely ZERO apres-ski diversions. Oh, there is an awful little dive-bar in the lodge that has a smattering of locals in it, but that is IT.

This resort is located literally at the end of the road deep in the Sierra. There is no traffic other than skiers going in and out. No town, no shops, no restaurants. Nothing. You can drive down the mountain to Shaver Lake, but there's not much there either -- just a few stores, a mechanic, and two or three eateries as I recall. This is NOT Tahoe or Mammoth, let me tell you!

I checked-out early on the second day, I was going nuts. Maybe if I was staying in a family cabin it would be bearable . . . but it was just such a lonely and boring place.

This resort exists for the good people of Fresno and the Central Coast who either have a cabin up there or want a day of skiing and no more. For anyone else (even the people of Fresno!), I heartily recommend driving an extra couple hours and going to a REAL ski resort like those in Tahoe where you can actually DO something after you come off the slopes.

2  Thank BigSee
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If the snow is good, likeit was in 2011, this place is a ton of fun. If the snow is bad, like this year, well, at least the lines are almost always small to nonexistent, and there's something to be said for not having to wait ever. This season they made snow almost the entire year, and I commend them for that. the lifts are ALL old and of the slow variety, so the longer ones in which you can get a maximum 5-15 minute top to bottom run in depending on your skill and speed, can take around 15 minutes to get you up there. there are about 7 lifts total, and it's about 1500' vertical, so it's all decent, with some good ungroomed legit black diamond stuff to be found off here and there, but mostly it's hard blue square level runs, with a decent amount of green circle runs, and a pretty decent park area (sometimes 2 parks). All in all, it's close to us in the central valley and anyone would have fun for at least one day there anyway. It's not Tahoe or Utah, but it'll feed your fix.

2  Thank scottydoesntkno
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I spent much of my 20's on this mountain and it was great to watch my son learning to snowboard here last month. The mountain looks great and the lifts and tows have been updated. Great grooming and lots of snow right now. Plenty of instructors (though they aren't all created equal so know what you're looking for). Plenty of excellent parking and the pot holes of past days are gone. Watch for mid-week deals and end-of-season deals.

2  Thank ReillyClan
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The new China Peak does not have a lot of new, but it is a great ski resort that has been serving the valley for over 50 years. This year the new owner returned the snow board park to its old location and has made it into a really improved version. The hotel has had some improvements but is still very noisy and has a very early, 10 am check out.

2  Thank RWells5733