“Worst place that we have ever stayed in 40 years”
Review of Mallard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakeport
Mallard House
Ranked #4 of 8 Lakeport B&B and Inns
Fresno, California
“Worst place that we have ever stayed in 40 years”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Front desk was a train wreck. The lady there had limited english and when there was a problem she would say the she did not understand. Check your credit card receipt before you sign it, they will try to rip you off. Smallest room that I have ever seen, plus all of the dead bugs in the bathroom. Probably the worst place to stay in Lakeport. It would take very little effort to find a better place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank uc4300
MALLARDHOUSE, Owner at Mallard House, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
We were very distressed to see this negative review from this guest. We strive very hard to make all of our guests comfortable here. We are a cottage style inn and all of our rooms are different in size and accomodations.
Their car club booked the reservations for them for the three night weekend for a smaller room with a queen bed . The car club travel organizer personally came twice to check all of the rooms before making the reservations. All of the car club guests checked in on Friday. But because of the very bad rainy weather the car show was cancelled on Saturday morning for that day and Sunday.
On Saturday morning this couple requested a room with two beds. We did not have a room with two beds available, but we we did ask them see if they would like to move to a larger room with kitchen. They said" no " without seeing the room. Around 12pm he came to the office and wanted to check out and asked for the refund for Saturday and Sunday. The front desk said it was already past 11 am we could only can give the refund for Sunday. He seemed very upset and left.
The lady at the front desk is a naturalized US citizen and has been with us for ten years with excellent language skills and we are concerned about the disciminatory statement about her "limited english".
We have been here for ten years and have hundreds of return guests and business people year after year.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My stay at the Mallard house in Lakeport more than fullfilled my expectations. Although I have stayed there in the past, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed coming home to a lakefront resort with a family atmosphere just minutes from my downtown business appointments. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Buckshot_10
sacramento
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Great hotel with comfortable bed. Great location! the lake is a nice addition. Staff is helpful and courteous! this is the first time I've stayed there, and will do so again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank mikezzj
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I spent Monday through Friday in the Mallard Inn, almost like a reverse commute. I am a health care professional and needed to take my timein finding a rental, because I am quite particular on where I would like to live. All in all I spent 10 weeks there in this fashion, and would have continued if I had not found my rental.
The rooms are great in the fact they are always clean, the setup is great for those who want to eat in part of the time, and that the location is close enough to town to walk in and get a meal, do some shopping, or walk down into the lakeside park.
As I said before, the kitchen area is great because they stock it with pots, pans, plates, bowls, glasses, etc., there is a full-size electric stove/oven, a full-size kitchen sink, and even dish towels. The only shortage is silverware, but if you need more, Lily the owner will find it for you.
The only downside is the parking, as it is not set up for many cars to be near your room, and the spots are first come-first serve. If you are truly handicapped, I have seen a cone that Lily has that can be put in the space next to a room for those who are invalid, but then again, there are plenty of handicap placards out there that are questionable- have some self-respect people!
Lily and Clyde are the owners, and are willing to do just about anything to help you out. It is a nice touch that they will cool down your room before you arrive, and will do so every day when the heat is on, in case you don't leave your AC on.
There is a full size coffee-maker in the room, with the small filter-paks provided, but bringing you own coffee and filters would be a good I dea if you like a bit of it. I brought my own french press and ground coffee from the Kelsey Creek Coffee Roasters just two-doors down. Across the street is Renee's Diner that is good for all meals- try the burger, the shakes, the fish n chips, and the pancakes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank greghad
colorado springs co
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were very impressed with the Mallard House Inn.The cottage was very clean decorated as if you were at home( a nice home) and so many extras including the owners who were more than accomidating and couldnt do enough for us.The location is beautiful, you walk outside and there is Clear Lake-amazing view beautiful huge lake. Locals go there for a special weekend getaway ! Travelers make it a destination! My only regret is our stay was too short.Go there you wont be disappointed!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bay area
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We've stayed here twice. The rooms are very clean and newly redone. However They are tiny - like a doll house. The air conditioner runs but does not cool the room. This makes everyone leave the door to their room open for air.

The rooms are arranged in the parking lot, and the noise from the cars and other guests is constant. Barbecuing, smoke, and noisy children are constant companions from which you cannot escape.

There is a beautiful lakefront area and dock which the guests don't use because it is not near the rooms. There is no scheduled activity, or information provided about the lake. On our last stay, some of the guests were unaware of the lakefront area, and partied and played in the parking lot (right outside our room)..

The husband and wife team that own the motel are not what you would call welcoming.

Once you have paid, you won't see them again. They do nothing to make your stay a good experience. Nor do they tell offensive guests to calm their children, leash their dogs, or use the beautiful barbecue at the lake front area rather than to cook outside your room.

We stayed twice because this place has such potential, but have decided that from now on we will find other accommodations.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BayareaWhitcomb
Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My family stayed here for a week while in CA visiting family. The rooms are small, but they are very clean. The rooms also have air, a table, bathroom, closet, t.v. stand with dresser, wireless internet, and a little kitchen. I was so worried the rooms wouldn't be clean since it isn't a big chain, but the rooms were spotless. All the help was very polite and helpful. I will stay here again when I come back. The rooms look like little cabins, but there are two large hotels on either side of the Mallard House Inn (very close). All the hotels in Lakeport are little ma and pop places, but this is by far the best of them. I

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeport
Lake Point Lodge ClearLake Oaks
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages
Tallman Hotel
Tallman Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake

Been to Mallard House? Share your experiences!