“Great outing for kids”

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Great outing for kids”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A beautiful drive takes you to the launch location. There is a kids play area with tree house, mining trough and picnic area. A short boat ride and bus trip later you are to the caverns. It is a nice way to get outside and on the lake without the logistics and time investment of your own boat. The caverns themselves are unique and educational.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank RamblinDogs

Sacramento, California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Inside a California mountain”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

After passing this attraction for almost 40 years I finally took the time to check it out. I was not disappointed. While there are a lot of stairs to climb at one point inside, the reward of seeing the beautiful features inside are worth it. It was a little pricey at $25 per person, including a 15-min boat ride across an arm of Shasta Lake, and there are many caverns that are bigger. The guide was funny and knowledgeable. I recommend it.

Visited October 2012
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Interesting underground sights”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Our trip at the end of September was during a low water period on Lake Shasta. We had to walk down a fairly steep trail to reach our boat. The boat ride across was short and shaded by a canopy. Once across, our bus driver awaited us, engine off and sitting in the sun. Our group was loaded and because of the dirt path, she could not turn on the air. It was stifling hot and lucky for us she reached the roadway and turned on the barely-there air conditioner before I started to freak out. Our tour in the cavern was led by Jaramie. He was knowedgable and answered our questions. The trail has MANY stairs, more than I anticipated. I did have to stop and let others go by as my leg muscles recovered. The cavern itself is awesome. My camera took pictures with amazing colors of the different formations. One turn off was the Halloween decorations that were on display as the tour company was preparing for Halloween event. It just didn't fit with the natural features of the cavern. Our exit out of the cavern was above the entrance and there were again the many stairs, this time desending. If you have bad knees, think about wearing your knee brace. I was concerned that I may fall so I did use both hands on the hand rail at times. Back on the bus we were delivered to the shoreline prior to the boat's arrival. We were told to wait on the shore, in the sun, until the boat arrived. It was 98 degrees that day. Our boat came back to pick us up. Several of the cavern staff were returning to shore as well. They were in their own group, and did not seem available to answer questions. Our arrival back to the shores was met with one last mountain to climb. My legs finally got me back to the car. The caverns were awesome and it is something to see if you are healthy enough. I would hesitate to go if you cannot walk without assistance, have exercise induced asthma, or have bad knees. This is a strenuous tour. We were told not to touch the formations, yet there was fake spider webs, ghouls, and body parts on and hanging from the thousand years old formations. I did not appreciate the picture taking and then high fee for the picture in the cavern. This was too expensive ($12.00) but some people might like it. Staff could stand to be more availabe/less exclusive. I would have liked to hear about the Lake, history of the area, and what other local attractions they have near. All in all, we're glad we saw the cavern. Been there, done that! Checked it off the bucket list.

2 Thank movaros
Orange County, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The caverns were so interesting. Nature's beauty at its' best! This was my first cave tour so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I loved it.The guide was great and he was very informative. I didn't think the stairs were an issue at all. Yes, there are several, but nothing to complain about. Also, there is a gradual ramp you can take if you do not want to use the stairs. My 6-year-old enjoyed the cave and the stairs didn't bother him either.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank karfer
Tempe, Arizona
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Bring your Hiking boots...and Oxygen”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Caverns were fun and interesting (Kartchner Caverns in Arizona much superior). Nice boat ride and good tour. However, BIG CAVEAT!!! A long walk down several flights of stairs to get to boat dock, and at low lake levels (we visited on Labor Day) another hike to boat. inside Caves you must traverse about 300 deeply inclined stairs, usually 60-80 at a tme. All in our group were gasping for air. If you have oxygen tanks with you, bring them along. Leave granny and your favorite Aunt at home unless you have some juicy insurance policies covering them. Well worth the admission price, but do some cardio training for a few weeks before buying your tickets.

Visited September 2012