“Interesting”

Lake Shasta Caverns
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Lakehead
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family and I visited the Caverns while spending some time up at Lake Shasta on a camping trip. Overall, my husband and I found the tour of the caverns very interesting. The formations are interesting. Our boys were bored (ages 6 & 10) by the tour, although walking in a cave was fun for them. Our guide was named Nicole (Nicky - she has a beautiful singing voice) and she was very knowledgeable and entertaining. I would recommend her if you have an opportunity to chose your guide. While I wasn't aware of what colors I would see inside the caverns we discovered that most of the formations were cream colored and mostly cave drapery and columns. I was hoping to see more stalactites in a range of colors. Most were of a rusty creamy color. There were somewhere around 180 stairs to climb up and down inside the caverns. The caverns were mostly dark aside from some rope lighting along the stairs and some landscape type lighting in various places to illuminate the area for walking purposes. Our guide had a maglite type of flashlight that she used to point out specific things throughout the tour. The temperature inside the caverns was cool and comfortable.

Some other noteworthy information about the facility and the tour....
There is ample parking available when entering the parking lot. There are also picnic tables under trees where you can eat some lunch before your tour. They have a small snack bar where you can purchase some food if you didn't bring any. They also have a small play structure for kids to play on at no additional cost (that was totally in the sun so you'll need sunscreen if they plan to play on it) and also offer a simulated gold panning activity (at an additional cost). Inside the registion area is a gift shop. Expect a lot of stairs and up and down hill walking throughout your arrival to the completion of the tour. (I overheard a guide telling someone that if anyone was unable to walk up the steep hills before or after the tour, the tour operators could transport them by car. This however does not apply to the actual tour inside the caverns. You must be able to walk through that part and climb the stairs.) After purchasing your tickets you have to walk down a steep hill side by either taking the stairs (lots of them) or walking down the ramps. From there you'll take a short ride across the lake by way of a large pontoon type of boat with covered seating. After exiting the boat, you have to walk up a steep hill where an air conditioned bus drives you to the top of windy hill where you'll meet your tour guide. A hat and suncreen aren't necessary as you'll be covered on the boat ride and indoors at the cavern. The only time you are in the sun is your short walk down from the registration area out to the boat for the short ride. No backpacks are allowed in the caverns, however a camera bag was allowed. They do allow bottled water in the cavern but no other types of drinks or food are allowed. I don't think strollers would be allowed inside the caverns. The walk ways are just wide enough for one person. Our visit was on a Sunday mid day and it wasn't crowded, I was expecting large crowds of people but was pleasantly surprised by how uncrowded it was. Perhaps the cost of the tour kept the crowds in control. If you've never been inside a cavern I would recommend seeing the Shasta Caverns.

5  Thank crwinter1
There are newer reviews for Lake Shasta Caverns

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We found the caverns from web searching for things to do at Mt. Shasta when coming from Sacramento. The site identified things to do prior to reaching Mt. Shasta and the Lake Shasta Caverns was one of the explorations about an hour prior to reaching Mt. Shasta. We reached Lake Shasta site to go to the caverns in the late morning. We reached the parking lot where they had plenty of parking. Before we reached the General Store where we buy our tickets there was an area for sluicing for various precious stones. At the store we paid $24 for adults and $14 for children for the cavern adventure. We walked down a series of stairs to reach the sandy rocky shore where we boarded a pontoon boat for a 15-minute ride across the lake. The stairs may not be good for those with mobility issues.

When we reached the other side we got into a bus which brought us to a waiting area to enter the caverns while we wait for the next tour and the tour guides. We had two guides to lead us through the labyrinth of stalactites and stalagmites and the one-hour plus tour. We were prepared in that we brought three cameras and took many amazing formation pictures. Where we weren't prepared was bringing water to keep hydrated. There was a place at the waiting area to buy sodas but we weren't into those type of drinks. There were a number of stairs to traverse the cavern and this definitely was not for those with physical limitations. We enjoyed all the different sites and the informative guides. This seemed like a good deal and prelude to our Mt. Shasta trip and stay.

1  Thank shogundad
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We saw the advertisements/fliers and decided to take the plunge and see the caverns of lake shasta- we are glad we did! The cavern tour is 2-3 hours, has some food (bbq on weekends) and is great adventure for families. Shasta is HOT in the summer- plan accordingly. You drive 3 miles through the forest from I-5 to the cavern office, walk down the side of the mountain to the lake, take a 20 minute pontoon boat ride across the lake and then a bus ride to the top of the mountain where the cave entrance is. There are 800 stairs in the cave tour- if you can not walk stairs, skip this trip. After the tour, bus ride, and boat ride back. Inside the caverns-- amazingly beautiful with rock formations the pictures on the web site don't do justice and you have to see to believe. Adults and kids will love this this day trip. The entire trip is 2 hrs +/- and afterwards, there is cold drinks some food in the main office and a play ground with pay for panning for gems for kids. A great day trip for a family.

1  Thank jager28
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Liked the RV parking space, Boat trip and cave exploration

Reviewed July 9, 2012

First, I want to say that I really enjoy going to caves—so I might be a little biased. But, I also wasn’t disappointed at all with our experience. I enjoyed the boat ride across the lake, and I found the cave to be absolutely beautiful. The guide we had (Dave?) was really good and reminded me of a great middle school science teacher. (Energetic, entertaining, full of interesting stories mixed with facts.) Everyone in our tour group seemed to be having a good time, although I think that the hike through the cave with all of the steps was a little difficult for one of our group members. If you have physical limitations, this might not be the best tour for you. Overall, I think this tour is worth the price and found the cave to be very interesting.

2  Thank EasternIllinois