“POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Antler Resort and Marina
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakehead
Antler Resort and Marina
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lakehead
Houston, Texas
“POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at a local motel recently and had a great time in the area. Attempted to rent a ski boat from Antlers for one day. Went to their office in Lakehead and allegedly spoke to their owner (SHANA ?). Even though we were in the off season it just appeared as though we were disturbing them. It was awkward and we left without coming to an agreement and went to another marina just down the interstate. Great customer service and a great rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tustin, California
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a review of the Cabins at Antler Resort. It's all in your expectations. Mine were not set correctly and we were disappointed. If yours are set correctly, you can make the most of it.

We were a family of 4 that traveled up and down the Nor Cal coast visiting Redwoods for 5 days and decided to detour for 2 nights to wrap up our trip with some fun on Shasta Lake. We were hoping for a quaint little cabin to sleep and go out for our meals. There are not many good options for eating out in this area. We went to Ba$$hole Grill for dinner our first night(see my review) and decided to use the kitchen in the cabin the for our other meals.

I think these cabins are really designed for week long visitors who drive here from not too far away and bring lots of amenities and food. There are good kitchen tools, pots and pans, but that's it. There is no salt, pepper, spices, sugar, coffee, tea, etc. There is a scouring pad and some very watery soap. We bought a sponge and dish soap at the market. For a 2 night stay we had to buy a lot of stuff that we didn't get to use, i.e. bottle of dish soap, near full salt & pepper shakers, 1 day old sponge, bag of coffee, bag of sugar. We ended up giving all of our stuff to the cabin next to us and they were very appreciative.

There was no shampoo or conditioner. For a 2 night's stay, we had to buy full bottles of both at the market. The pillows were like pancakes. You had to put a couple together to make 1 pillow. The floors are linoleum. The shower is tiny. You can barely turn around. There was a TV with DirecTV, but it only gets a couple of channels. We didn't go up there to watch TV, but it was just 1 more thing that was frustrating. There were hundreds of channels listed in guide, but every one we clicked on said "you don't subscribe to this channel". I think it was The Style channel and Disney that we got. At least Disney kept the kids occupied for a few minutes.

The last item, and this is a big one, there was no air conditioning. We were there mid-August and it was over 100 degrees in the daytime. There is a swampcooler that does make it cooler, but not cool like a/c. At nightitme with the swampcooler going and the ceiling fan going,we were laying on top of our sheets, sweating trying to get to sleep. The pillows were like pancakes. You had to put a couple together to make 1 pillow.

As I mentioned above, if our expectations would have been that we were almost camping and need to supply everything it would have been better for us. We stayed in some great hotels and cabins in our weeklong trek up the coast. We even stayed in a cabin in Willow Creek (Coho Cottages, awesome place) that we had to go buy food, but they supplied the basics(salt, pepper, sugar, coffee, shampoo, conditioner, soap, dish soap) so we just needed food. Location is great, right up from the marina.

2 Thank xtianh
Sausalito
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is my first review ever of anything, but feel compelled to warn people of what can go wrong at Antlers.  I live in the Bay Area and my family flew all the way to the West Coast from the East Coast to go on this trip.

We were told to arrive at 4pm so that we could be trained on the boat & have the boat loaded up with our gear by 5:30.

We arrived at 3:45.  We were told it would be a 30 minute wait which then ended up being an over 2 hour wait.  This would have been no problem, if they had just let us know instead of stringing us along and continually saying it would "only be another 20 minutes".  We could have gone to get some dinner or, played cards for that matter, instead of standing in their tiny office for 2 hours.

We finally got on the boat after 6 PM and had a great & thorough training of this 56x15 foot boat.  Meanwhile, we had 3 cars full of luggage, food, & bedding that needed to be put on the boat.  While the tour of the boat was going on, some other Antler's employees asked if we needed help getting our 3 cars of stuff all the way down to the boat.  And we said, yes!!, and 2 of us headed up to the cars.  The employees did not show up & 2 of us ended up lifting all of our huge bags of bedding, suitcases, & food for 9 people for one week onto a pontoon boat on a trailer.

The boat was not loaded until 7:30 PM at which point it was too late to get organized & get mentally clear (from a day's worth of travel & no dinner) enough to take the boat out & find a cove to park it before dark.

We ended up having to stay at the dock the first night!!!!!  This ended up being a good thing because Antler's had neglected to fill up the gas!!!  So, we had to wait the next morning while our gas was being filled up.

The boat (Genesis 2) was great & we had a wonderful time on the lake, but we were offered no discount or apologies for the logistical chaos/lack of communication/delay in getting onto the boat & out for the night.

The boat was a good value for the money with all of it's amenities, but I would recommend paying a little bit more by going with a marina that hopefully has better customer service.

Sarah Lehman 415-505-5271

3 Thank Sarah L
Bishop, California
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We rented a "ultimate cruiser" houseboat on Shasta Lake through Antler's resort for a week. Our trip was relaxing and the resort staff were friendly and very helpful......VERY helpful. The first morning we discovered that the coffeemaker on the boat did not work, so we called in. Not much later a staff person arrived to replace our coffeepot. Luckily he was through, as we discovered THAT coffeepot didn't work either because of the electrical outlet. So on our third coffeepot, we finished the week. The service was impressive particuliarly because we were about an hour and a half out of the marina, and they had to find us!

1 Thank jan h
Colfax, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We've been boating in CA for 50 years and this is by far the BEST marina we've ever been to. All the employees are cheerful and helpful and friendly. Joe, Chad and Sean made the renting of our patio boat for the week a delight. The Marina store is well stocked and the workers in there were great to work with too. Brandy in the office was also very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MamaKlein
Belmont, California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We've been going to Lake Shasta since 77' and have stayed and many places on and around the lake. For those that want an upgrade from camping or house boating this is a good choice. It has several cabins right on the lake overlooking the marina and lake. Its in a great location on the lake and far enough from the highway but not too far. They have a pool, hot tub, there's a small store snack shop nearby. If you don't have a boat you can rent one right there.

Room Tip: All the cabins have a great view, it just depends how big of one you want.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mgaff
Seaside, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

How many of can say that about a childhood dream? That was exactly what my houseboat rental experience this last weekend was and in great part due to Antler's Resort and Marina..A family reunion was my reason for going there in the first place. My cousin owns her own houseboat and the rest of us rented from many other places. I chose Lake Head and Antlers because of my previous experience when I had moored out of there over 20 years ago..Antlers expert staff were beyond helpful, they were kind, fun, respectful and knew everything about the boat. Harry and Ian were our instructors. Thorough fore to aft in how we operated the boat and lake safety.
Our party ranged in age from 60 to 18 and a pretty diverse group of seasoned travelers, all of which have traveled internationally multiple times. We all loved the boat and were comfortable every moment we were on the boat. I picked up my Aunt and Uncle who are in their 70's and they too thought, as it is quoted in the Wind in the Willows, "its the ONLY way!" The kitchen could have used a dishwasher, but everyone cleaned up after themselves, and the trash compactor made it easy to manage the trash with the deck units. The bed was very comfortable and the access to the heads was very comfortable for me.
I have some mobility issues and I was not only accommodated but down right saved as my wheelchair literally skidded out of control on the dock. They were also so flexible. We all enjoyed the trip, the boat, the lake and came home tan and happy to have gone. I also saved alot of money by going to this company. the same week my cousins went to a competitor who I shall not name, charged the same amount of money for half of the bot. sleeps 6 vs. sleeps 12. No brainer there either, so my smile was as genuine as my tan line. I feel very glad that this was my first houseboat experience, it won't be my last. Nor will it be my last at Antlers

Room Tip: Make sure you have lots of options for abled and other abled people. Find a cove for family and stay...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ElWitt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakehead
Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding
Oak Tree Inn Dunsmuir
Oak Tree Inn Dunsmuir
#5 of 6 in Dunsmuir
Best Western Plus Hilltop Inn

Been to Antler Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!