“Camping at Shasta Lake”

Antlers RV Park and Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakehead
Antlers RV Park and Campground
A TripAdvisor Member
“Camping at Shasta Lake”
Reviewed June 23, 2005

I just got back from a camping trip with my family@ Antlers RV Park & Campgound in Lakehead CA. Antlers is conveniently located and very easy to get to. Just off Highway 5 at the north end of Lake Shasta it is only 30 minutes north of Redding, CA.

Just like the name implies, Antlers Rv park & Campgrounds has spaces for you traditional tent camping enthusiasts and RV spaces with full hookups for those who rough it in style.
For registered guests, they offer amenities like a children's playground, ping-pong tables, horse shoe pitts, swimming pool, coin laundry, restrooms with showers, and a general store with a grille. There is Bingo on Monday nights, family Movies for the kids at 7pm, and on sundays there is an all you can eat pancake breakfast. All use of the on-sight activities like ping=pong & the pool, require guests to obtain a key or place a deposit for equipment at the the management office to insure that no unpaid rif-raff will be crashing the party.

There is a curfew for all guests under the age of 18 @ 12am midnite. No loud music or noise after 11pm, and checkout is at 10am each day. walkway lights are turned out after midnight so as not to disturb your slumber, and ther is security 24/7 patrolling the facilities on the lookout for any suspicious behavior.

Antlers offer boat & personal watercraft rentals, and also have boat launching facilities right near by for those who already own a watercraft.

While I enjoyed my overall stay at Antlers I did have some minor gripes...

first of all the restrooms in the tent areas are small, the comode stalls have no locks, there were wasps in there, and there were no personal seat protectors..(aka butt gasketts.) The restrooms in the RV section are much nicer, more roomy and have locks on the stalls.

Second, We rented a pontoon boat for 4 hours at the price of $150.00.. plus $20.00 insurance, and a security deposit. The boat was a floating porta potty! It had a toilet on board that smelled terrible and made the excursion very unpleasant. We barbecued on the gas grill that was mounted at the front of the barge, and even though our burgers were cooking away nicely on the gas grille, the pungent oder of poop, permeated the air and spoilled everyone's appetite. Also the boat floor was very slick and could have used skid tape to prevent the nasty falls our several of us had while attempting to navigate on board after swimming. On a safety note: The latches on the gates & rails were very flimsy and could easily be an accident waiting to happen if a little one should fiddle for more than a second with them... So be extra watchfull of your little ones if you choose to renta one of these things.. Top speed was not top, and you should not expect to tow a raft or innertube with these things... it's like driving a big old cadelac when every one else is speeding along in fararri's...

And finally... The tent sites were a bit too close together with only a few trees and a huge amount of poison oak seperating them .. so be warned.. do not venture off into any bushes at the tent sites unless you want to be miserable with a rash from hell!!

If none of these things trouble you... then Camp away!!
Would camp here again? Probably,, yes.. My overall experience was a good one.. and the kids had fun.. that is the most important part of any trip. I will add a new review after my next trip to update y'all

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Antlers RV Park and Campground, responded to this review, July 6, 2005
I felt the need to respond to this review because I wanted to clarify a few points. My family & I have just recently purchased Antlers RV Park. We are doing as many improvements as time and funds allow. Yes, it is a work in progress, but it is still a wonderful place to come. The main point I needed to clarify is that the marina mentioned in the review is a completely separate business from us. We have no control over how they operate. Please do not lump us into one business. Our employees work very hard to insure that the facilities at our park are well maintained and that customer satisfaction is always high. Thank you.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakehead
Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding
Best Western Plus Twin View Inn & Suites
The Inn at Shasta Lake
The Inn at Shasta Lake
#1 of 2 in Lakehead
Bridge Bay at Shasta Lake
Bridge Bay at Shasta Lake
#22 of 36 in Redding

Been to Antlers RV Park and Campground? Share your experiences!