“Average Food, Excellent Service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Portal Mexican Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Caliente, California
“Average Food, Excellent Service”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

If you were expecting homemade tacos you'll be sadly mistaken. El Portal uses store-bought taco shells. Sometimes fresh, sometimes stale. The meat they put inside is very good, but I still want my taco shells grilled fresh when I order a meal. The people are very friendly and the service is good --- but the store bought taco shells have turned me off. I will not go back as long as there are other Mexican restaurants open in the area.

Visited December 2013

So Cal
“Best Burrito's IN THE WORLD!!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I used to hang out in this area as my buddy had a vacation rental for a few years overlooking the lake. I recently went back to do some fly fishing and made it a point to return to El Portal after a 3+year hiatus. "EL PORTAL, I MISSED YOU!" :)
I am happy to report that the same owners and cooks work there. I always get, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND, the wet burrito Colorado. The sauce is like nothing I have ever tasted, and it was like coming home again to sink my teeth into that first wonderful bite! The portions are always healthy, so get a to-go box. The chips are very good, and the salsa is tasty and fresh, though a bit onion-y for my liking. (I HATE raw onions, so that doesn't say much).

All I have to say is MAKE THE DRIVE! It's on the south side of the lake in Mt. Mesa and is quite nondescript, but well worth as it is easily the best Mexican food in the valley.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Fishfreak911
Ventura, Ca
“Good food”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

When you show up with a group on 30, you know it is going to be tough, but they took care of all of us. maybe slowly, but hey 30 people! I think that's more than the population!!!!

Visited June 2013
Kernville, Ca
“Great Mexican food!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a small restaurant in Mount Mesa that serves excellent food. The amount of food served is large per order, I am always super hungry when we eat there and never finish my food!

Visited December 2012