“Very nice staff, but disgusting room”

Extended Stay America - Orange County - Lake Forest
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
Del Mar, California, United States
“Very nice staff, but disgusting room”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The room was disgusting. It was dark and depressing inside the hallways, and smelled awful from the elevator through the hallways and in the room. The room was beyond dirty. I question whether they cleaned beyond just making the bed. The staff was very friendly and helpful, though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jonathan L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Lake Forest, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Jonathan - Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff; however, we apologize that our hotel overall was unclean. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have discussed this issue with our staff and we are working to revamp our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at laf@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

If not for the staff, I would have checked out after the first night. The room looked nothing like the internet site layout. It was mostly clean but the shower had moldy places and a warped floor. The bed was AWFUL - loud and hard and crappy sheets/comforter. The pillows weren't bad.
The staff was friendly and happy.
The grab n go breakfast worked as advertised (granola bars, fruit, pre-packaged muffins, coffee).
The laundry room looked clean and bright but I didn't use it.
My parent's stayed at an Extended Stay in Irvine earlier this year and had the same complaint about the beds - so I should have listed to them...Never again will I stay here....but the staff causes me to give out the second star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna B
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I basically liked everything about this hotel, except the location. I have no idea why anybody would build a hotel this far from civilization. Maybe because of cheap land? I don't know. What I do know is it is not near anything of use and is far from the freeway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Lake Forest, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff offered you great service and you felt our hotel was very clean. I am sorry our location did not meet your needs. We hope we are able to see you in the future at one of our over 680 locations.
Upland, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the outside, this hotel is in a nice location and looks to be clean and well maintained. The inside rooms, however, are a different story. Check in was very easy and staff was very friendly. Upon entering my room, however, I noticed that the bathroom fan was already on. In retrospect, I understand why. If the fan was not kept on constantly the smell of sewage seeped throughout the bathroom and into your room. Not something you should be smelling. No shower curtain, no hairdryer. I booked through Hotwire and felt I was given a poor choice of a room due to this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The smell in the room and missing shower head you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will be speaking with our staff to ensure that does not happen again in the future. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at nherrera@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Wonder Lake, Illinois
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel had a horrible smell, the room was not clean and was not properly stocked. I will never stay here again. For example, when we first checked in there was a spilled ash tray in the hall. Three days later it was still there. I didn't even realize until I was walking to my room that the hotel permitted smoking on its premises.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dana Point, California, USA
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you're looking for a super clean, quiet, comfortable hotel with excellent management & staff, and all the comforts of home (refrigerator, microwave, cable tv, free internet, etc.) you'll be very happy here! And dogs are welcome!!

Starting from my initial call to book a room (Lupe the manager answered) to the front desk staff & especially the gentleman who works the night shift (everyone was helpful & friendly)! Clean, quiet & comfortable - good price & conveniently located! You sense that customer service is a top priority!

I feel super fortunate to have found the Extended Stay America in Lake Forest! It's a gem of a place! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stay here at least once a month for a few days at a time; staff at the front is always friendly and helpful with my needs. this is teh best of teh 3 ESA's i have stayed at 2 in the same city...this one is best. out of the way slightly, but quiet.

Great oatmeal for Bfast, but there is a great coffee place on the corner!

Room Tip: Non smoking rooms facing Lake Forest are very quiet and breezy!