“Home away from Home”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
Hale, United Kingdom
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Clean rooms, attentive service, fast and reliable high-speed (free) wireless internet, daily appetizers with wine & beer (Mon-Thu), free shuttle service to local businesses within a 5 mile loop...so much value packed into a small hotel. Colleagues have stayed at all the extended stay properties in this region and also rate the Staybridge Suites as their preferred choice in the Lake Forest area. The Front Office Manager, Cleo, in particular was a great ambassador for the hotel. Excellent service and very professional.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Gloria W, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Irvine Spectrum/Lake Forest, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful comments. Our entire team takes pride in providing a wonderful hotel experience to all of guest such as yourself. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Take Care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bethesda, MAryland
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Where to start extolling the virtues of this incredible extended stay hotel? While preparing an excel chart so that I could objectively compare the facilities of the suite hotels in the Lake Forest area, I was unable to include one section – customer service – for at that time how was I to know how committed everyone at Staybridge would be to their guests? Yes, I had a hint that this staff may be caring and truly concerned while making preliminary arrangements with Scott, but that was just a feeling. Cleo, the front desk manager, immediately addressed every concern and Blanca, also at the front desk, was extremely helpful. While I didn’t meet the General Manager, kudos must be given to Gloria; a hotel doesn’t run so efficiently and the staff doesn’t extend such gracious hospitality without direct oversight of the person in charge.

I came to the Lake Forest area to be treated by a specialist nearby and had to remain in my suite for most of the day while convalescing from surgery. The housekeeping staff gladly made up my room at a set time so that I would enjoy a tidy place all day and my privacy would be respected when I might be resting. Moreover, Gina, the “keeper of the keys” insisted that those under her supervision give my place special attention – even changing bed linen more often than necessary – so that I would be as comfortable as possible. Hotel policy is for thorough housekeeping once a week with light housekeeping daily but not on weekends unless requested. This was fine with me but, not wanting me to exert myself, Gina insisted that the women straighten up the suite on weekends. How’s that?

My suite looked as it is shown on the web site with the bedroom separate from the combined sitting room and the small, but more than adequate, kitchen space, although my particular suite had a more convenient layout with the TV opposite the sofa and the desk facing the wall. Kitchen? Think full size fridge and top freezer – even a dishwasher - and dishwasher detergent, dish detergent, dishtowels, dishcloths, and paper towels on hand, along with an extra roll under the sink. The two-burner stove is certainly sufficient for those who wish to prepare their own meals. I can’t imagine anyone passing up the free, ample breakfasts, which are certainly satisfying and varied. A complimentary Happy Hour is held on Mondays through Thursdays, but this is not just beer, wine and chips. A monthly menu is posted on the refrigerator indicating what will be served each evening along with the ever-present salad bar. As others have said, this is dinner. Seeing that lasagna was to be served one evening, I figured I would have the salad and then pull out a frozen veggie dinner from my stash in the freezer. But, no. In addition to the traditional meat lasagna, vegetable lasagna was also offered. Amazing! And even more amazing was that I was told to check with the kitchen on nights that meat was being served because they just might have another option for me.

Impressed yet?

Back to the suite. The bathroom is really large with considerable storage space in the many drawers of the vanity. No slivers of soap here but generous personal bath soap with ridges so that it doesn’t slip from the hands. A privacy shower curtain lets the light in at the top and is mounted from a curved rod to allow a bit more space in the shower area. A full extra set of towels is standard. Much appreciated are the shampoo and conditioner that does not turn hair to straw.

Storage space? To meet the needs of guests who stay for months at a time, the bedroom contains a good-sized chest of drawers, as well as end tables with drawers, and another chest of drawers in the sitting room. The large closet is situated in the bathroom to make the most of the floorspace with more hangers (including those with clips for skirts) than I’ve seen in any hotel anywhere. Also in the closet are a laundry basket and ironing board and iron. Don’t care for synthetic pillows? Two feather-and-down pillows, along with an extra blanket, are on the top shelf of the closet. Because I had to remain in my suite for hours at a time recuperating, I can attest to the comfort of all furniture as well as the excellent lighting – a rarity in most places.

The hotel web site mentioned free laundry facilities and, indeed, there are three washers and three dryers. Although the washers have a gentle cycle, my advice is to hand wash garments you might use in your washer at home.

What really sold me on Staybridge Suites when making my decision was the very pleasant common area where guests enjoy breakfast and happy hour. Other nearby hotels serve breakfast, not always free, in settings resembling a food court. Another enticement for me was the patio area. The website depicts tables and chairs adjacent to a small fountain but doesn’t show the additional space where there is a covered area with two barbecue grills as well as several benches near flower beds. The pool and spa is adjacent to the parking lot, but landscaping does screen this creating a pleasant space for relaxation.

The parking lot seems to be huge so parking should not be an issue. No car? No problem. The hotel provides free transport within a 5-mile radius from morning to 5:30 in the evening. Since the hotel is close to a number of corporate headquarters, I saw many people taking advantage of this perk to get to and from work. Of course, the driver will also take you to the nearby shopping centers or, as in my case, to the doctor’s office. Gina, John and Scott all were solicitous of me while driving me to my appointments and were terrific conversationalists.

Because the weather was cool during my 16-day stay, I needed to use AC only one night. For the rest of the time I kept my windows open so that I could enjoy the cool breezes. Open windows are not always a viable option in other hotels where AC is the only way to go.

Three years ago I stayed at another extended stay hotel in this area that happens to be owned by the same people. No comparison. Am I recommending the Staybridge Suites? But, of course!

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank HappyWanderings
Dear happywanderings,

Wausau, WI
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stay here quite often for business and the staff goes out of their way to make me feel welcome. Rooms are spacious and hotel is relatively new. Great full breakfast included with social hour/light dinner in the evenings.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Thank Wis.gal

Shizuoka
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I selected this hotel as a "home base" to use while visiting friends and family in the area. I did a bit of research before selecting this hotel, but it basically came down to a random selection between this and the other nearby suite hotels. I couldn't have been happier with my choice! The rooms are large and bright, the staff is friendly, and the location is great for getting around South Orange County. The hotel is located at the edge of a business park so it's off the main drag, but just minutes from a large shopping center with a supermarket, restaurants, Target, movie theater, etc. The hotel also has easy access to main freeways, the tollway and the Irvine Spectrum shopping center. The rooms with kitchenettes have a full size fridge, microwave and stove for in-room cooking, but the hotel also offers a complementary breakfast (daily) and "happy hour" light dinner and drinks (M - Th). The happy hour food was substantial -- real food that was enough for dinner (not just chips and popcorn). The outdoor pool was clean and heated (even in the off-season), and the inner courtyard also has BBQs and a sport court. Most of the guests seemed to be there for business, so the hotel is quiet during the day and on weekends. My children loved the pool and all the space in the courtyard area, and I was happy to have a place to stay with separate bedroom and living room space. The hotel is not particularly close to Disneyland or the beach, but it surpassed my expectations in terms of facilities and value-for-money. I would highly recommend the Staybridge Suites to anyone who needs a "home away from home" when in the Lake Forest area for business or visiting friends and family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

aliso viejo, ca
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We searched Orange County for extended stay hotels and were lucky to find this one. This hotel just opened earlier this year. The staff is friendly and helpful. They serve a great breakfast each morning (it isn't dry sweet rolls and bagels on a plate). They also serve a light snack, beer and wine in the evening (free and served Mon-Thurs). Although they call this a "snack" it has certainly can serve as dinner. They have free laundry facilities. During our stay (over 30 days, we were waiting for a home to be completed), we saw families on vacation and a lot of business people. This hotel is located near business complexes, but just up the street there are many restaurants, stores and a large movie theater that serve the residents of Foothill Ranch, (aka Lake Forest), which is a fairly new community in Orange County. Perfect place to stay if visiting anywhere in Orange County!

• Stayed June 2006