“Skeptical at first......”

Cuisines: American
Lake Forest, California
“Skeptical at first......”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

There were many factors that made me very skeptical about this place-the name: Jolanda's Café and Catering. it doesn't sound welcoming. Secondly, finding out that this wasn't really a French café although there's an Eiffel tower on the coupon that brought us in. Lastly, seeing a lot of "older" people (one of which almost snatched our table while we were being seated). From the start, I knew I wasn't going to like it.

Then the food came.

I ordered the Metro Scramble with a croissant. Everything was awesome! the scramble had chunks or home potatoes, green onions, sausage and bacon. But not just little pieces of bacon--they had BIG pieces of bacon. That was a huge plus.

The croissant was also very good. I was surprised when I picked it up because it was heavy-usually croissants are light and fluffy but this one had substance. It was warm, it was crunchy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. I spread marmalade on some of the pieces and I was in Paris all over again.

My wife had the French toast. the French toast here were two pieces of croissants dipped in batter. I mentioned how good the croissant was above now imagine them as French toast.

Needless to say, I would come back and try something else.

• Visited February 2013

Mission Viejo, California
“Not Good!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have been to Jolanda's several times and I have never had a 'good' meal. On my last visit I asked for a Caesar's salad and the waiter set down a bowl of lettuce and a small plasic container with some sort of dressing - not good. The time before that I had a turkey lunch plate. Turkey was tasteless. I could go on but I won't. I just wonder what those reviewer's, who gave such good ratings to this place, got that I didn't. Service is slow even for a simple breakfast meal.
I really wanted to like this place as I live not too far away and it is handy but alas I have crossed it off my list.

• Visited July 2012
Laguna Woods, CA
“Consistently good!”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Although I have only gone to Jolanda's cafe once (and it was very good) I feel I am qualified to rate Jolanda's on her catering. I have been to numerous events that she has catered. Never have I been disappointed -- whether the meal was salmon, chicken, excellent brisket, vegetarian - unbelievably good and diverse-- which for catering is difficult to accomplish. If you need a caterer she does an exceptional job and is very reasonable!

• Visited May 2012
colorado
“Best coissant!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

Real roasted chicken on coissant was excellent. Don't go to the Cain restaurants in the same plaza this place is delicious.

California
“I really want to keep this gem hidden...”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wife and I took my in-laws to your restaurant this morning for the first time. It is a great experience.

The front of the restaurant is small and cozy. Once we enter, the decor was very welcoming and warm. So were the waitress and the owner. One thing for sure, all customers are local and regular, saying hi to one another on this nice Sunday morning. Items on the menu are priced reasonably. At least that was how we felt until the food was served. Then we felt the price is too low. The portions were large and and the food tasty. Most breakfast orders come with their homemade Butter Croissant, which is HUGE and SINFUL. I said HUGE because it is probably twice a big as the ones at Costco. I said SINFUL because it is so tasty and crunchy outside, soft inside that you would be obliged to finish the entire thing. We ordered 8 more croissants to-go afterward...

As I was eating the food, I was quietly going through a moral dilemma--- to share or not to share the gem with others. In the end, I decided to give credit where credit is due. Guess what, this restaurant has never been reviewed in the TripAdvisor before... go figure. Maybe other guests really want to keep this place hidden.

• Visited December 2011