“Stay in you car”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
El Cajon, California
“Stay in you car”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

When we (3 rooms booked) it was before 3 -2:15p.m. The two men in our party, my husband and another man were allowed to check in BUT the one woman in group was told she and her sister had to wait until 3. Why? So we all waited for her to check in. By the by hotel was not busy. Rooms were clean enough although our bathtub would not turn off all the way-so quite a waste of water. Hot breakfast? A joke. WE waited 20 minutes for scrambled eggs-they didn't materialize so I went to front desk-same guy as day before still didn't care and neither did the young woman preparing food. Remember the commercial "1 potato, 2 potato...?" No milk for cereal, no coffee (reg or decaf), no fruit just some remnants of what might have been an hour earlier AND "breakfast" still had 40 minutes to go. reiterating, hotel not busy. Front guy didn't care about leaky tub. We don't care to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed September 16, 2013

You get what you pay for.

Pros: cheap, especially if you get an Express Deal through Priceline. Spacious king bed rooms, adequate bathrooms and breakfast. Central location.

Cons:
1. First room had strong urine smell coming from bath tub. They switched me to a cleaner room that smelled better.
2. Internet speeds, especially at night for some reason, are slowest I have experienced in any hotel. Sometimes, I got dropped and could not reconnect without explanation. Front desk couldn't help obviously.
3. Could be cleaner.
4. Would you believe my room phone was dead? Front desk didn't believe me, told me I shouldn't expect a dial tone. Then we tested it and they believed. Nothing done to remedy that.
5. Except for the bathroom outlet and the one attached to the desk lamp, none of the other outlets would hold the plugs. They would fall out immediately unless you taped them to the outlet. I carry multiple chargers/ power adaptors and don't like leaving them in the bathroom. This is 2013.
6. Tiny, uncomfortable pillows.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel looks and feels old and outdated. We ended up here because someone booked it for us on a team trip. The location right off the freeway is convenient and its close to plenty of restaurants and other shopping and locations. Walking in the lobby is full of silk plants and the reservation desk has a ceiling overhang I could reach up and touch. As soon as I saw that one of letters of the hotel name had fallen off and was stuck to the wall away for its a original spot I took it as a red flag. The poor guy checking us in had some kind of issue and even though there was a list and room key envelopes laid out knowing they were expecting guests the check in process was long and painful even though we had a reservation.

We stayed on the 3rd floor and I would highly recommend staying on this floor. We had a balcony you could actually go out on and a super high vaulted ceiling that made the room feel spacious. We had a 1980's wood paneled mini fridge, that worked. There was a large flat screen tv. But the bathroom was half updated making it feel a little awkward. The beds were comfortable but small we didn't hear cR noise from the Mcdonalds next door or parking lot below. Luckily we weren't spending much time there.

Room Tip: 3rd floor for the vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
homeawayfromhome1, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, overall you did mention several things that you liked about the hotel, our super high vaulted ceilings, the balcony, quietness of the room, the convenient location to shops and dinning. And as a team we are always looking to improve our guests experience so we will take into account your suggestions and again we really do appreciate them we strive for customer satisfaction. We hope you will visit us again if you are ever in the area.
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Someone tried to come into our room at 3am. I was woken up by a loud bang, and thought I saw light by the door. I just figured my daughter was in the bathroom. Turns out she wasn't. I noticed the security bar was pushed against the wall the next morning, and realized someone did try to come in.
I told the manager at the desk the next morning, he was rude, snotty, and asked why I didn't "call him when it happened since he was there all night, there was nothing he could do about it now". I'd already explained I didn't realize what had happened until I got up later.
Besides the fact that unless a person has the card keyed for the room, no one should have been trying to get in at 3am.
The breakfast was terrible, and overall the staff we encountered were very unfriendly.
We travel often for soccer tournaments, and I will be passing the word on this place!

Room Tip: Like the title of my review says - Stay Away!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheryl F
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Saturday Aug 10th on our way from San Diego to Long Beach. Book online after reading all the reviews on TA.
When we arrive we had to wait just a short time for the desk clerk to come back but once he showed we were registered and in our room quick.
The room felt a little dirty but wasn't worth complaining about, though it did smell like someone had been smoking in it and was evident by the burn on the bed sheets.
The positive thing was that after 10:00pm there was a lot of noise coming from the pool, we called the front desk and the clerk was apologetic for not having been aware but within 5 minutes of being told the noise stopped.

• Stayed August 2013
Monterey
Reviewed August 9, 2013

First the good: Centrally located -- close to highways, shopping, and restaurants. Housekeeping kept the rooms stocked and cleaned up. Wi-fi was slow, but free.

Everything else was mediocre to heinous. The full breakfast wasn't very appetizing -- mostly pre-made stuff except for the waffles which you could make yourself. This "non-smoking" hotel was anything but. Smoke smell was everywhere. And we're not just talking cigarettes -- people were visibly lighting up pot on the balcony of their room. Worst of all -- the front desk staff, Jim especially, was exceptionally rude and did not exhibit the slightest bit of good customer service.If that weren't bad enough, a photocopy of my credit card (as well as others who checked in) was made at check-in -- even though it had already been run through the charge machine -- and when I found this out, he outright refused to give it back and said that he would have to check me out if he gave it back. When I did check out, he still refused to give it back citing that every hotel in the country does it. I reported it to my credit card company and they were appalled (they luckily reported it to their fraud division and sent me a new card).

Long story short, it was better than nothing -- but next time I'll pay the extra bucks and go to a hotel where they know the meaning of hospitality instead of trying to make you feel like they're doing you a favor.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the "reasonable" or "inexpensive" price...you do get what...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Checked in at 7:00 p.m. and my room wasn't ready. Next day, came back to my room at 4:00 p.m. and it hadn't been cleaned yet. Third day, the room was cleaned early but housekeeping didn't leave me any towels or pillow cases.

Staff is clueless and rude. Hotel is old, dingy and smells.

Also, when I read "Quality Inn and Suites Irvine Spectrum, I assumed it was next to the Spectrum. Nope, its not. 5 minutes up the highway by car, 25 minute walk. If you can't walk to a place in 5-10 minutes, you shouldn't advertise the location in the name of your hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Hills Lodge
#1 of 4 in Laguna Hills
Candlewood Suites Orange County/ Irvine East
Extended Stay America - Orange County - Lake Forest

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!