“Don't show up before 3pm”

Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
California
“Don't show up before 3pm”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Check in time is 3 p.m.... or later. When we arrived at 2 and after we waiting in line for 5 minutes, we were told they were short-staffed and we would have to come back and check in after 3:30. Our choice was to leave or sit in their very dingy lobby. We left. When we finally got into our room at 3:45 it was less than inviting. Immediately stripped off the ugly, dingy, probably dirty bedspread and put on slippers so I wouldn't have to walk barefoot on the carpet. Cranked the air conditioner down to the lowest possible temperature because the room was stifling hot.

After a late-evening event we were forced to park in a poorly-lit parking garage and return to our room, past the out-of-order elevator, past the rooms where they store "stuff" with steel security doors with no doorknobs, through the filthy service corridor/walkway to the pool, to the only working elevator at the front of the hotel. Oops. Forgot something in the car. Didn't feel at all safe walking back to the car alone at 11 p.m.

Breakfast -- served only until 9:30 the next morning -- was mediocre at best. Flavorless. Minimal. NASTY coffee. Brown fluffy bread (you know what brand I mean) billed as "wheat" bread.

I suppose that the value was good, but I know there are other hotels nearby that offer rates just as good, with much better amenities. I've stayed there. Took a chance on this one.

This hotel may have Quality in its name, but zero in its accommodations. Won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kerikns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent nearly a week at this hotel. As a business traveler, my needs are simple: peace and quiet, hot shower, temperature control, wake-up call. I was offered a choice of several hotels in the area by my client, and chose this Quality Inn because of the perks: free hot breakfast, parking, wifi, fridge and microwave.

Things started going south upon check-in, when the desk clerk put me in a room that didn't remotely resemble the one that had been booked for me: a king bed suite with a pull-out sofa and balcony. Instead, I was given a regular room with 2 queen beds and no balcony or sofa bed. The clerk said she'd move me to another room the following day, but although I saw her at the front desk literally every day that week, she never followed through.

I soon discovered the refrigerator in my room didn't close properly, and thus spoiled $15 worth of leftovers. A male desk clerk replaced the fridge for me the following day--good. However, that night the same female desk clerk failed to plug in my wakeup call for the following morning--bad. Luckily I had my iPhone alarm as a backup.

On the second night of my stay, I was extremely tired, and at 8:30PM ready for bed. I had no sooner doused the lights when a ruckus in the parking lot outside my window woke me up; it was a screeching chorus of hundreds of pre-teen children's voices, in a Chinese dialect. At first I thought, "Oh, surely they're just making a pit stop at the McDonald's next door," never dreaming the screeching throng would be checking into the hotel. But they did, by the busload.

Yes, this rowdy group of at least 100 noisy children swarmed into the hotel lobby, which was just below my room. In her infinite wisdom, the female desk clerk managed to book two groups of pre-pubescent boys--4 to the room--in the room adjacent to mine, and the one directly above me. My room had a shared door with the room next door, and the kids continuously tried to enter my room, pounding and shaking the door as they hollered at one another. The kids above me must moonlight as gymnasts, because they were constantly stomping and pounding on the floor, to the point that the ceiling and walls in my room actually shook.

After half an hour of chaos, I went down to complain to the front desk clerk. She said "we're getting a lot of complaints," as if our conversation should somehow end there. Luckily, the hotel's manager, who is of Chinese ancestry and spoke the same dialect as the youngsters, appeared, and said he personally would speak with the children in the room next to mine. True to his word, he admonished the kids to keep quiet, as did the 3(!) adults traveling with the 100+(!) children. The kids did settle down; but the little gymnasts upstairs tumbled for another hour.

After another complaint to the front desk clerk yielded zero results, I finally went upstairs myself. A young kid who couldn't have been older than 8 opened the door; he spoke enough English to understand what I was saying, and apologized for the stomping/jumping. I asked him if there was an adult in the room, but there wasn't, only 3 other boys, none of whom appeared to be older than age 10. All was well for about 20 minutes; then the stomping resumed. Again I had to contact the front desk, and after about 30 more minutes, things were finally quiet. By that point I had lost 2 hours of sleep.

The next morning I woke at about 7:30 and went down to the breakfast bar; to my dismay, the horde of children had descended upon it en masse, and 6 deep. A tiny opening appeared in front of the coffee machine; I had no sooner edged toward it than 5 kids ran right in front of me, cutting off access. Even more maddeningly, they just stood there, obviously not interested in coffee, merely wanting to cut in line just in case there was something they did want. The poor woman who serviced the breakfast bar tried to wade through the kiddie swarm, holding hot dishes aloft and hollering "excuse me, excuse me!" to no avail, as the kids wouldn't even let her through to service the bar. Finally, an adult connected to the group appeared, lectured the children loudly, and managed to get them to form a queue--which lasted for about 15 minutes. I grabbed what sustenance I could and escaped to my room.

Shortly before I left that morning, I saw the children's bus outside my window; the kids were boarding, suitcases in tow. "Good!" I thought, optimistic this episode was a fluke, that the rest of the week would be quiet, and the hotel would in fact revert from a playground to a hotel.

Alas, the following evening--and EVERY evening thereafter--a similar group of children appeared like clockwork at 8:30PM, swarmed the lobby, and treated the hotel like it was their personal, noisy playspace. Same complaints to the front desk, every night. Same problems with the breakfast bar ... every morning.

It's unfortunate, because this hotel had such promise in the beginning. Yes, they're doing some things right--free perks, even underground parking--but there's no substitute for peace and quiet and a good night's sleep. Business travelers, caveat emptor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Glendale
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We came to this hotel after leaving another nightmare place in the middle of the night. This was so much better! We travel with little ones, so our expectation's are not exceptionally high, being that we have to stay within a tight budget, but this hotel exceeded our expectations. Location was great, right off the freeway and in a good part of town. The breakfast was fine, better that most with the sausage and eggs. Orange juice was a little strong though. The room was a decent size and clean, beds were comfy. Nice bathroom. My husband used the fitness center and said that was a joke. Every machine was not only broken, but destroyed. Looked like there had not been a staff member in there to clean things up for fix the place in years. He said he also wouldn't touch the hot tub with a 10 foot pole. Didn't use the pool, but it looked decent. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and the staff was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kindi W
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Was really surprised at how nice this hotel turned out to be. The hotel lobby was very nice and the rooms were better than I thought. The staff was very nice and friendly. The location is also very nice being close to Irvine Spectrum. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Annette M
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Nothing to write home about, but a decent place to lay your head at night. It's located right next to a McDonald's (for better or worse), but easy to get to from the highway. Hotel seems to be fairly old but they've tried to keep it up to par. Rooms are nothing fancy but simple and neat. I was on the 3rd floor and imagine these are better because I had a cool high slanted ceiling. Also mini-fridge and microwave were very nice to have in the room. Overall, not bad but nothing fancy.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Meliggy
Kingman, Az
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the past few years but I think I'll try something different in the future. The owner/manager is skimping on the small stuff to increase profits. Example, the ice machine on the 3rd level was broken so they removed it entirely and have no plans to replace it. (According to the desk clerk). You only get 2 bath towels, 1 regular and 1 decaf coffee. The sinks don't drain properly in more that one room I've stayed in and what rubs me the most is that you can book a room a month in advance requesting a certain floor and location I.E. facing away from Lake Forest Drive and when I checked in last time I was told that the rooms on the other side of the hall were already booked so I get the noisy room. Problem I had with this is the parking spaces were only half or so full. Who gets these rooms? Friends? Family member? So this has become a ho hum place to stay in my book. The breakfast is always good, the room is clean but they should wash the glass patio doors occasionally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool or McDonalds. It's much quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roy R
homeawayfromhome1, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I see that you have stayed with us in the past and am very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your last visit. Just to let you know if you decide to stay with us again and we hope you do, you can always ask for more towels we are happy to give them to you and that goes for the Coffee & Decaf Housekeeping can give you more and so can the Front Desk. As far as the Ice Machine we bought a new one and have one on two of our three floors we are not that large of a Hotel many Hotels only have one Ice Machine for their whole hotel with more rooms than us. And unfortunately a request for a certain area of the Hotel is never promised we guarantee your room type, but not location we try to accommodate requests, but sometimes someone extends their stay and the parking lot is not always an indication of how busy we are many people come from the airport in a taxi, some are away from the Hotel for work or sports tournaments also you may have wanted to check in early before the room that you want is ready We have very good Value for the very competitive rates as you had mentioned in a previous review and this time even said our breakfast is always good and the rooms are clean.We hope to win you back and please ask for me and I will do my best to try and find you a room that is in a location of the Hotel you are happy with. We value your business and hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.
DFW area
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel about four times in the last three years. Every stay it gets worse and worse. First they had a nice restaurant and bar that they closed down for no good reason.
The meeting room had leaks in the ceiling which made the room smell like mold. They fixed the leak the next time we were there, but that smell might never go away. The hotel is clean most of the time, but at all hours of the night there is always some sort of party going on.

At the end of our relationship with this hotel, the manager was so sour and bitter, she slammed doors around and pouted.

If you want to stay at an average hotel, stay here. The front desk and other staff is friendly, but thats about it!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
homeawayfromhome1, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We need to start with credibility and clarify the restaurant comment, you stated that our restaurant has been closed for "no good reason" yet you posted a favorable review of the restaurant from this visit,maybe you have our Hotel confused with another. Our restaurant is open and has not been closed. If we were a Party Hotel I do not think you would have continued to return again and again and you did not mention this to us at your time of stay we do have security and would have had it taken care of, there were no other complaints from other guests at that time. Your room was above the meeting room which is where the small leak came from it has never happened before or since. I do not know what doors would have been slammed the type of doors we have are not capable of slamming and I know I had gone out of my way with special dietary requests etc. for you. I am disappointed that you chose to not give credit for all our efforts and choose to try and discredit us. I hope you find a Hotel that you are happy with and I thank you for your past business we did appreciate it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Forest
Laguna Hills Lodge
#1 of 4 in Laguna Hills
Extended Stay America - Orange County - Lake Forest
Candlewood Suites Orange County/ Irvine East

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!