“Great food, great ambiance, great service”
Review of Crush Wine Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was looking for a place that served a unique cuisine and provided a quiet, refined ambiance where a couple could hold a quiet conversation. I am tired of the brass and fern chain restaurants that are the same whether you're in Arizona, Virginia or California and have way too much noise and music in the background. Crush Wine Bar and Restaurant is the perfect place. We were greeted with small flutes of wine to sample while they seated us. Nice touch. (Too bad I don't drink alcohol!). The staff was very warm, friendly and knowledgeable about the wines and menu. The menu is Mediterranean, not heavy on pastas, and it was excellent! My date lives nearby, never knew the restaurant was there, and is definitely going back - with or without me!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

A friend had heard about Crush and we all decided to try it. We were not disappointed. It's located in a strip mall. Although it is on a busy road, you would not notice it if you did not know it was there. It's a combination wine store and restaurant. The ambiance is upscale wine bar. Nice furnishings. The service at Crush is excellent. We were greeted as soon as we arrived and offered a small glass of sparkling wine. The third party in our group was already there and we were taken immediately to the table. The waitress was very good, both at explaining the wine store/restaurant combination and the food selections. At her recommendation we started with the fois gras (will only be available until July 1) and garlic shrimp. The fois gras, done in a basalmic reduction sauce was fabulous and large enough to share with 3 people ($30). The shrimp were large and fresh, but I thought they had too much garlic. I had the halibut as a main course and it was to die for. My husband had the salmon special and he was not very keen on the preparation but still thought it was quite good.. It was oil infused which made it a bit soft.. The third person had the chicken which he thought was good, but a bit dry. However, the presentation and accompaniments of all dishes were excellent. We did not have dessert, but did have dessert wine. We took our own wine ($20 corkage). You can buy wine in the shop and also pay a $20 corkage. My only recommendation to the restaurant is they should offer a better corkage fee on the wine they sell in their shop. We all would return to this restaurant again. It's relatively new and was not very busy on a Friday night. I think when the word gets out about the quality of food and service, it will get busier.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Recently, I took my new work team out for some wine and dinner. I wanted a place nearby, that had a nice atmosphere and great wine.

After reading reviews, I settled on and made a reservation at Crush! As our team meeting came to a close, I'd asked my husband to call the restaurant and have a bottle of champagne chilling for us and the meat and charcuterie plate waiting for us at the table. They were happy to accommodate.

Upon arrival (I was the first to arrive), Julian greeted me and sat me at the table they'd reserved (the best in the house). He offered me a welcome glass of champagne, which was lovely. I just wish I would have know then.... I would have saved myself $70 for the bottle of Perrier Jouet I bought. Oh well.

My team arrived and everyone enjoyed the lovely meats and cheeses, though we all agreed the meats were a bit too thick and a touch too tough. But they were still edible.

Our server was.... different. He kept very obviously flirting with me (obvious to the entire table, in fact) and a little flirting to ensure a good tip is one thing, but this was getting a little awkward.

He was also a bit wishy washy on the recommendations as well. At first he recommended their special... Sea Bass... and then changed his mind to the filet oscar (which was a little weird... their "oscar" style was shrimp and not crab. Two of us settled on the filet, another got the roasted leg of lamb and another the chicken. Three of us really enjoyed our meal, but the one who got chicken didn't even touch it. I'm still not sure why. They'd noticed and offered to replace her meal and she declined. I figured they'd take it off the bill, but they didn't. I wasn't too worried about it however, I didn't bother asking for it to be removed.

Aside from the bottle of PJ I bought and the glass offered upon arrival, we all ordered a red wine (a 3oz "taste", since we were all driving). Their selection is pretty good and nearly everything has the 3 or 6oz, as well as bottle, options. When we'd finished up we were asked if we'd like dessert and we all declined, however, to our surprise our server came back with a lovely ruby port as "dessert", on him. It was a very nice (and delicious) gesture.

The atmosphere, decor, food and wine... were all pretty good and I'll definitely be back with my husband. Everyone we encountered were very friendly and very Italian... I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice evening out (although I think we'll likely come for just wine and cheese... sort of a "pre-evening").

Salute!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My wife and I just came back from an extremely disappointing Valentine's Day experience at Crush.

I made a reservation for 7:45pm for today, Valentine's Day. We came in 10 minutes. Everyone was friendly and a couple of greeters greeted us. A little passed 7:45pm, we were "ushered" to the wine bar instead of a table. We waited there for 15 minutes before our table was ready.

We were greeted by Julian-he was very polite and courteous. He took our order and he recommended a red wine. So far so good.

We get our appetizer-we chose the sausage empanadas. The filling was very tasty but the puff pastry was burnt.

We get our salads-I got the Tomato-Mozzarella-Basil salad and my wife got the Mixed Field Green salad. They were both good, but nothing I couldn't get anywhere else.

So now we wait for our dinner. And we wait. And we wait. A couple gets seated in a table in front of us. And we're still waiting for our dinner. A couple gets seated in another table nearby. AND WE'RE STILL WAITING. The couple that was seated after us get their dinner. AND WE'RE STILL WAITING. NOW THE SECOND COUPLE GETS THEIR DINNER. check please.

So...the moral of the story? If you want to pay $45 for 2 salads, an appetizer, a glass of wine AND if you want to have your Valentine Day, birthday, or any other special occasion ruined, come to Crush Wine Bar.

DAMN IT, I'M SO PISSED!!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Tucked into a strip mall in Lake Forest, it's easy to miss this place. Don't let the location fool you. Two hip and attractive dining rooms and a small bar area. Very European style with a multi european menu. Excellent gracious and pleasant servers who know both food and wine. No pressure, all fun. Enjoy a delicious meal and take home a bottle of wine from the retail shop inside. The owner is has a history in wine industry where he learned about the best food and wine. The servers have there followers as well. I have been here for group lunches and there is plenty of space .