“Even my Daughter eats the fish here”
Review of Boneheads - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Boneheads
Cuisines: Seafood
Trabuco Canyon, California
“Even my Daughter eats the fish here”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Yes thats Right my Teen Daughter eats the Salmon here and she loves it, ask constantly to go back, the menu is healthy if you chose it to be, Food arrived warm to the table, If It didnt I would send it back, but not a problem for us ever, Also it is a place to go in get a good value meal and get out, Boneheads doesn't claim to be a 5 star restaurant. I recommend it highly

• Visited December 2011

Western Hemisphere
“Way down now!”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

What do you get when you throw a couple of steamed tortillas, some kind of pineapple coleslaw that is not that great, and the thinnest slice of Mahi Mahi? A very mediocre fish taco. Arrives to the table already cold with the wheat tortillas (yes, because they have the audacity to put two to support the taco!) tasting stale, cold and with no quality. The fish is so thin it is a joke. At first it seems you are getting a sizable taco, but when you take all the ingredients away and only leave the fish, you realize the amount of fish per taco is just not right. This place was voted best restaurant of 2008? When we arrived we were the only customers, spent about $35 for three people and the only food that was half acceptable was the clam chowder. A large bowl for around $3 and not too bad in taste. I am so sick and tired of places that serve the food without any concern wether you will like it or not. This place is not a place where the culinary takes first place. I have tried their Barramundi fish, and yes, it was tasty. The first time we try something else the harsh reality brought us crashing down. They have lowered their standards and it shows, a lot of employees nosing around, and yet unable to deliver a good product. I had the half chicken which was barely acceptable. I am sure it was cooked hours earlier for it was dried and no more than average. Their grill zucchini is a healthy alternative and must be noted.
Boneheads made a Bonehead of my family and me, vowing next time we buy our own fish and eat 3 times as good. This is not mecca for tacos, that is for sure. 2.5 Stars.

• Visited January 2012
Laguna Hills, California
“small portions - poor value”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

It's fish - but small portions and not good value. It's a franchise and they do it by the book - but as seafood places go, this one is not good value. Stark store type restaurant, no atmosphere, and poor value. I've eaten there three times and I won't go again - nothing specific except that it is poor value.

Visited November 2011
CA
“Love the informality and the fresh fish possibilities”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Healthy and fresh and they make it easy to eat your fish and vegetables too. Take out or eat in but ask for a to go cup for your drink so you can take one with you if you eat in. Reasonably timed from grill to table and the tea is fresh. The friend zucchini and the Asian slaw are favorites and if you really splurge on calories the bonehead shrimp appetizer is fantastic. The salads are large and you can add fish or not. The great bargains are the entree fish with the sides. A popular spot at lunch so plan ahead.

• Visited September 2011
Western Hemisphere
“Turns out Bonehead is a very good word!”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

As of late it seems that is hard to praise most restaurants. Some are way to expensive, some their food lacks, some are combination of both and so on, so on. When was the last time that I left a restaurant and felt good about it, good enough to were I want to tell people, invite people to go there, definitely want to return? It's been quite a while. Enter Boneheads in Lake Forest in El Toro Rd. My counterpart started the day saying how nice it would be for her to eat fish and chips, a plate se absolutely likes! I decided to Google the best seafood restaurants in souther orange county and in one of the links there was the OC Register 3 top picks. Boneheads was 2nd in the list, enough to incite my curiosity. The first one is in Huntington Beach and the third, one of my all time favorites but steep priced, The Crab Cooker which is a Newport Beach institution. We live much closer to Boneheads so that is where we went. Affordable, tasty, and a great value overall, I was truly delighted and Alma could not believe the batter on the fried fish (I was given one of the pieces to try and I wholeheartedly agree!). I ordered their lemon herb whole chicken which came with 2 side orders of my choice. Nice priced and a lot of food for one person-Big Mistake on my part! We also had the clam chowder and it was very tasty! Not too long ago we went to the Harbor Grill in Dana Point and the clam chowder there, a bowl, cost almost $12 and it was truly mediocre. At Boneheads the bowl was $2.99? Deliciously well made! The asian coleslaw that came with the fried fish I love only because it had very little sugar like most other places.
From what I gather the philosophy in this place is to make their food affordable and very tasty. The place is kind of small but their food is worth for me to return. Next time the Grilled Barramundi? (Australian fish tasting a little like Tilapia but in the end Sea Bass-apparently loaded with omega 3 to qualify in the top 5 super foods on someone named Dr. Oz list?). This place puts most seafood places to shame in their simplicity and flawless execution. Interesting side orders, I think I saw sweet potatoes fries among them. I had a Zucchini with my order and rice and both I liked. The whole area has been remodeled and there are very nice places to enjoy. I remember the old movie theater in that area and Yee's a once great chinese restaurant but the place went stale and this renovation of the area certainly adds to the overall satisfaction.
I am going back: to try their grill Barramundi, Shrimp, even Salmon, who cares? I refrain from giving 5 Stars but this place certainly deserves 4.5 Stars, it is that good! Hope they can keep up and don't break down in the concept but for now a great place to try in southern orange county and who said being a Bonehead is a bad thing? Not me, that's for sure!

• Visited July 2011