Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Elsinore
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lake Elsinore
Reviewed August 1, 2012

After a day of wine tasting in Temecula we weren't ready to make the drive back to LA. Having stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses while travelling down Route 66, we made a quick and easy phone reservation. Best price I've ever paid for a Holiday Inn Express.

We were given a ground floor room, one king-sized bed. The room and the rest of the facility as we could tell were spotless, but I do have to agree with one reviewer that the dining room chairs could have used a deep cleaning. Our room however was large and comfortable, the high ceiling made it feel like a cut above the usual off-ramp motel room. The large bathroom with jacuzzi was a nice surprise. No, not the deepest tub, but I'm a big guy and was mostly covered. We got a quiet night's sleep.

Typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast, hot and fresh. Some fresh fruit would have been nice, but there was a big bowl of apples for the taking at the front desk.

This was a great stay for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if we're in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Elsinore

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stopped here while on a bicycle tour so my needs are pretty basic. But for my money I have to rate the Holiday Inn Express a 5. New, clean, large room, all the amenities including free fast wifi and free breakfast. I stayed here a year ago and the front desk person remembered me. I won't think twice about where to stay when in Lake Elsinore next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2012

There were three nights I did not sleep at all. I let the hotel know but they did not offer to move me or quiet down the raucous groups. Tere was a free breakfast like you are accustomed to at holiday inns but it was exactly the same every single day. No fruit.

the chairs in the dining room were so filthy I didn't want to sit on them. I do believe this may be the first bad review I have ever given a hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Best Western. It is an older hotel but much better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda W
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Linda W,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. Please accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary Hotel stay experience. I'm sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise from other guests as well as the condition of breakfast area. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Here is my letter to the IHG after our experience at this hotel:

Dear Holiday Inn,
It is my sincere regret to inform you that we will no longer be frequenting any Holiday Inn hotels in the near future after a recent experience at the Holiday Inn Express - Lake Elsinore.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly gentleman who quickly found our reservation and we entered our room. At first, we were quite satisfied with the room, nothing appeared problematic and we had many activities planned for the rest of the afternoon so we quickly unpacked and continued our adventure. When we returned, we took a quick swim in the small, but clean pool (FYI: no towels available) and went back up to the room to begin the evening.
While my husband and son showered, I nursed and rocked our baby girl to sleep and placed her in the portable crib. Everything was going quite well, until… I opened the sofa bed for my son to sleep on and YUCK! A large urine stain was left on top of the neatly folded bedding – soaked through to the mattress but DRY. Eeewwwwww!!!! I immediately called the front desk and Nick, who was obviously overwhelmed (he informed me he was the only one working), came up to take a look. We removed the bedding and he rushed off to get replacement bedding. I requested a new room and he informed me that the hotel was completely booked so he couldn’t give me a different room. He came back with a roll-away bed for my son but I was so disgusted that we didn’t even use it. I told him at the time that I wouldn’t pay for the room in this condition and he told me that he could give me a refund if we left the hotel. WHAT?!?!? We are supposed to wake the baby, delay my son’s bedtime, re-pack everything, get in the car and hopefully find another hotel or we are going to be charged for an unsanitary, unhealthy, possibly contaminated room?!?! I was perfectly willing to carry our stuff and our baby to another room without disturbing everything too much, but REALLY, that was the Holiday Inn solution to this problem?!? I informed Nick that I would like to speak with the manager ASAP, but he wasn’t available until the next day.
After much deliberating and mostly out of sheer necessity at this point, we sucked it up and slept together on the one bed, however, none of us slept soundly as we were all SO completely disgusted by the idea that the room could be so filthy. What else didn’t get cleaned? Who was in this room before us? What dirty, nasty things are we sleeping on right now?!?!? After that, we noticed every single thing wrong with the room: white milky stain on the leather chair/ottoman; no glass or ceramic cups/bowls to be used in the microwave; no washcloths, dish soap to use in the sink; no chairs to sit on the balcony; wireless password given was incorrect. All of these things are easily shrugged off in a NORMAL hotel stay (well, except the other stain).
Needless to say, I certainly wasn’t well rested the next day when I spoke with Cameron, the hotel manager. Before I could even tell him what happened, he interrupted me to tell me he wouldn’t give my money back without investigating. In fact, each time I spoke, he interrupted me - never once allowing me to finish a sentence. (I even pointed this out to him and he continued to cut me off.) Not once did he express any sincere regret, remorse or sensitivity to what we had just experienced. Sure, he started the conversation with a swift apology, but his tone and attitude throughout the rest of the conversation was FAR from apologetic. He was rude, condescending, arrogant, and outright inconsiderate. His terse approach to customer service was the worst part of the whole experience!
My opinion: Cameron doesn’t belong in the role of Manager, and certainly doesn’t represent the Holiday Inn name and/or IHG quality. The staff was much more polite and friendly yet powerless, but the representing Hotel Manager acted as if I disturbed his Sunday morning newspaper with unimportant nonsense and informed me that he would get back to me on Tuesday after he investigated the situation further, then he told me he was hanging up because we had nothing more to discuss until he investigated… seriously, he hung up on me. Was I belligerent? No. Was I upset? Yes. Was my demeanor changing with each brusque remark? Absolutely. He escalated the situation rather than resolve it. Yikes!
And… What is there to investigate?!?! The staff took pictures of the bedding, informed the Manager of the problem, and he still needs to investigate before apologizing to his customer and assuring them that Holiday Inn Express will make things right?
It is Tuesday night and I have heard nothing more from Cameron of rectifying this situation. I am disgusted by the hotel room I was given and even more disgusted by the poor customer service we received.
I grew up with the Holiday Inn name as part of many family vacations and in the past, have often used the Holiday Inn as the standard to measure all other hotels by, but after this experience – we have decided to seek a new standard of excellence.

Regretfully yours,

Me

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rachel S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Rachel S,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I am glad you were able to reach our to our Customer Care office and they were able to address your concerns. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed here the night before the Tough Mudder event in Temecula. I was greeted by a friendly front desk employee.He told me what there is to do around town. The room itself was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room was very quiet which was great. They also have a pool and a gym, but I didn't use them that night. The free breakfast was good. They had many options. I would go back again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed here with the purpose of wine tours in temecula. It really is 20 minutes from temecula. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. It is great for what you pay for. On a busy night parking is a little hard, but really hardly anything to worry about. I would
Go back for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank tiredtravellerCanada
Reviewed March 11, 2012

At the front desk: very helpful. And the (free) breakfast? We love it!! Try the pancake machine.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Murrieta
Red Lion Inn & Suites Perris
Holiday Inn Express Temecula
Comfort Inn & Suites Near Temecula Wine Country

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Elsinore? Share your experiences!