“Seems to be a Marmite venue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chillingham Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillingham
Chillingham Castle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
“Seems to be a Marmite venue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

First off, as a couple we loved it!
We stayed in the Courtyard Room / apartment, which is on 2 floors. Ground floor is where a double room, twin room, and bathroom are. Stairs up to 1st floor is to an open plan kitchen, lounge and diner, with loads of space. There is a log burner stove in the lounge part plus electric heaters and a storage heater. It was a couple of degrees when we stayed and were plenty warm. Decor is in fitting with the rest of the castle, a right old mix! That said it made the place feel just right. Many won't like to stay here as it could be seen as rough by some. Think 'glamping'and you should be OK:-) We were given a large basket of logs with the option to buy more, the basket lasted from about 5pm till very late!
Our room was in the main part of the castle, and you do get to look at a part of the castle when you stay.
We had a good read of the reviews before we went, most who liked it described it as we expected. Being honest most who didn't like it didn't take on board these reviews and would have been better off with a hotel or bnb, which this ain't.
Go there with a sense of humour and to have a bit of fun and you will have a unique experience. We plan to go back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Been_Aroond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We were celebrating my cousins 18th birthday at the coaching rooms at chilingham castle as we've heard it's one of the most haunted castles in England, on arrival we weren't greeted properly because we all came at different time, as a first timer there it was very confusing where to go, once we arrived at the rooms we noticed a hell of a lot holes in the windows, carpets were dirty, rubbish was shoved in vases, I wouldn't let me dog lie on that floor, bedrooms were nice although yet again carpets were dirty, the bath had bleach dripping out of somewhere and had very dirty marks in fair to say we did not shower, kitchen was nice but small, the nighttime was very cold due to holes in windows! On the morning you have to check out by 10am me and my friends locked up and were set to hand the keys in, when driving up to the castle to drop the keys in the main hate was locked we had to turn around go back to the coaching rooms unlock everything and get the gate code, overall very disappointed in chillingham castle £355 for a night was a total rip off, never again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sjayy
East Hagbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

This castle instilled a real sense of what it must have been like to live in a castle around the middle ages. Certainly not posh but I'm sure it was never set out to be. I have been in castles which were indeed 'posh' and their splendour had its own charm but Chillingham just felt so authentic, despite reading how it was brought back from being a ruin so the contents haven't been there for centuries - but they have certainly been somewhere similar for centuries and they just fit! A testament to the owner. It is totally unpretentious and if you are after experiencing what it must have been like to live in a medieval castle ( Plus give or take a few centuries!) you can't go wrong. It may not be ultra comfortable but it is comfortable enough and maintains the ethos of the place .

I saw or heard no ghosts unfortunately but I was aware of certain changes in how I was feeling while walking around. The torture chamber had a sense of horror at how one human being could do this to another, the chapel felt so still and peaceful and when walking in the Great Hall my legs felt very heavy - not unpleasant of frightening - just heavy. Enough to know there was something going on and good to know it meant no harm! I didn't do the ghost tour - this time - but I will be back I am sure.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anne W
huddersfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Went on a trip to this place expecting to see a proper castle furnished appropriately. What we actually saw was a collection of - well - rubbish really, masquerading as something worth seeing. There was a "torture chamber" located in a room off the courtyard. This wasn't a real torture chamber as it was furnished with wooden chairs with nails sticking up through the seat - a sort of homemade torture implement. In any case, anybody knowing anything at all about mediaeval history will know that people couldn't just set up their own torture chambers - much like they can't now! The furniture looked like it had come from Steptoe's yard and in a corner of one room was a modern toilet bowl. Not connected. Just there. The floor was covered in offcuts of old carpet - modern carpet. I could go on and on, but quite frankly there won't be enough space to write everything about the place. If you want to see a proper castle, avoid this place like the plague and go and see Alnwick instead! Everything about this place was either faked, or modern. Quite impossible to work out what its purpose is!!!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jacky b
Marlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We spent 2 nights, with our teenage grandchildren, in the Grey apartment. Very atmospheric and we all enjoyed our stay, even though younger one ended up in our bed! We found the staff very helpful and our ghost tour guide Andy was excellent. Very worth a stay if you want something different!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Clive S
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Thank you Chillingham Castle for making my 30th Birthday so brilliant. I've stayed in the castle many times and could not wait to show all my friends why it is so special to me so I dragged them all along to celebrate me getting old. This time we booked the Look Out and The Coaching Rooms. The Coaching Rooms are separate from the main castle, about a five minute walk, which was perfect for us as it meant we could have our celebration, guitar playing and all, without disturbing anyone. Only thing is we stupidly forgot to bring a torch so walking back to our room in The Lookout apartment was tough (our own fault though!). Only negative thing I would say this time is watch out for the little single room in The Lookout: my friend did not get a wink of sleep as there was a trap door in the ceiling above her bed and all through the night some kind of animal was up there tearing up paper non stop!

Room Tip: If you are having a large gathering for a birthday or something the coaching rooms are perfect as no...