“Not pet friendly, misled”

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laguna Woods
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Made reservations online; site said Ayres is pet-friendly. Checked in and were directed to side door for entrance. Big sign says: No Pets. So we scrambled to find a place to kennel our registered herding stock border collie. She was boarded for 2 nights when they called us and said she was extremely agitated and we should get her. Natural for a dog who's never been kenneled and is used to the outdoors. I told the clerk as their website had said pet friendly I was bringing her in. She indicated there was a problem with the co. which runs the site, "That'll be $125 (more than the room)." No so; we brought our dog in. Other than that, rooms are clean,but noisy from overhead. Breakfast excellent. Don't try to sit on patio, that's where the smokers congregate. Ugh. Housekeeping slow; room not done until 3 p.m. just when we got back for a break. Style of the hotel could be called overdone faux Tuscany!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PastYooper

Reviewed November 1, 2009

We were invited to a wedding in Laguna Beach and the bride recommended this hotel as a place to stay. We were delighted with her choice. It is a lovely "old world" ambiance within the hotel and a lovely piazza outdoors to enjoy. There is a sumptuous breakfast included every morning and an evening wine and cheese event. It felt like you were being nurtured. The location is great. It is in the middle of Orange County CA. where is can be hectic and confusing in traffic especially when you are from out of town. It was walking distance from many services and located centrally with easy access to many of the attractions of Orange County like the beaches and the shopping. We enjoyed our stay and would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kalamere
Reviewed October 20, 2009

As a member of the hospitality industry, I feel confident having my parents stay at the Ayres. I know that the rooms are nice, the service will be friendly and most importantly that they will be happy (they are repeat customers). Plus, I can join them in the evening for FREE snacks and wine. And they fully enjoy starting their day with FREE breakfast. I know that they will be staying at the Ayres for many years to come.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

For the price, the place can’t be beat! My husband said it was the best hotel we’ve stayed at, even though we’ve stayed at a 5 star hotel before! We liked the breakfast in the morning--remember to tip the cook! Just remember that breakfast on weekdays stops at 9 a.m. and on weekends, it stops at 10 a.m. They’re serious--they clear away everything on the dot! Both of us liked the decor in the room--we liked the reproduction paintings on the wall in the room and in the halls. The bathroom was not huge but it was nice and new and clean. The countertop of the sink looked like it was made of marble. Even the decor in the elevator was nice (wood paneling). We worked out in the small but nice gym too. Be aware that some rooms face inward towards the courtyard/ pool and some rooms face outwards towards parking lots, in case you want to request a "view". I was a bit surprised when we pulled up to the hotel that it was in the same "shopping center" as Hometown Buffet though. But we still ate at Hometown Buffet for one meal. The only complaint I have is that we could hear some plumbing (maybe our neighbor was taking a shower?) noises sometimes and that we could hear vacuuming in the mornings above us. This is our first time staying at an Ayres hotel and we’ll definitely stay at any of the Ayres hotels again in a heartbeat!

An extra tip:
We made a couple of trips to the Stater Brothers supermarket across the street from the hotel--so convenient! We bought drinking water and ice cream and kept it in our fridge in the room so that we wouldn’t have to pay hotel prices. (The freezer in the fridge is pretty tiny though, so be aware.) Also, we drove into Laguna Beach and San Juan Capistrano for day trips and it was so convenient and easy (without paying high prices for tiny, old rooms)!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RegularResearcher
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The hotel was very clean and nice, however there were ants in the bedroom. The breakfast was terrific, eggs, sausage, waffle maker, cereal, fruit, juice. That really made the stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My travel group stayed at the Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods in August 2009 and I can not express how happy they were with this hotel selection. One of my elderly travelers had a minor emergency while at the hotel and the GM personally coordinated a trip to urgent care, stayed there throughout treatment and rented a wheelchair for the individual and paid for it himself. I book many hotels throughout North America and this is certainly some of the best service I've ever experienced! I recommend this hotel for any occasion and I've booked my group here at the Ayres for 2010 as well. Keep up the great work and we'll see you in 2010!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My sister lives near here, so I am often looking for a good place to stay in the area. We have stayed here twice (July 2008, July 2009) for 5 and 6 nights. The experience was very good both times. The hotel is nice and well-decorated. The rooms are large (large enough for a family of four) and well appointed. The breakfast is very good. The service I have received has been first-rate. I find the value to be amazing. Overall I think they do a great job providing as much as they do for the price -- a large room, a microwave and fridge, a great breakfast, a nice pool, even free wireless Internet (I have paid as much as $20 a day for this elsewhere). This last time I opted for the more upscale partitioned room -- one half for us, one half for the kids -- and this afforded a bit more privacy (not as much as a separate bedroom, but almost as much). Overall, I think this place is solid and will probably stay here next time, too.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods? Share your experiences!