“Absolutely Terrible Customer Service - Bait and Switch”

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laguna Woods
GreenLeadersGold level
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
“Absolutely Terrible Customer Service - Bait and Switch”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I reserved a block of hotel rooms for my wedding guests. They told me they would hold the rooms until 3 weeks prior and release any unbooked rooms into inventory. Two months before my wedding I got a calling telling me that another group wanted to book the same dates and were giving me my 48 hour notice to put a credit card down else give the rooms to someone else.

They NEVER mentioned any time we talked to them anything about this little clause. The first time I heard about the 48 hour notice was when they called me two months out.

The woman on the phone was absolutely unapologetic and just kept asking me whether or not I wanted to put down a credit card. Ugh, I would never recommend them again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank VEGGIE719

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 12, 2009

This a wonderful, clean hotel. I am sure great for a business hotel although we stayed here on our trip to the pageant of the masters in Laguna Beach. Our first night however we were put in what we were told was a quite room on the top floor. What they neglected to tell us is that it is adjacent to a room converted to an engineering office and also a housekeeping room. Needless to say from 7AM on we heard the door open and shut several times and the clanking of dirty dishes coming through. not a good way to try and sleep in while on vacation. We asked to be moved. "Minnie" at the front desk argued with me level of noise, which I did not appreciate, but then succumbed to my requests and gave us another room, which was very nice and quite! Over all a good hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
travelchick1
Reviewed June 26, 2009

While the hotel was in a perfect location for me, I was treated poorly by the staff from my first call to make a reservation. I had to change rooms due the noise from rooms below me. I was unable to get the front desk and had to use the 800 number to get someone to answer during this racket. Had to move to a far less attractive room with no help. Had numerous very rude, dismissive and unhelpful dealing with the front desk. I can not recommend this hotel to anyone after my experience there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank travelchick150
orange county, ca.
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Village Church of Irvine held their Women's Retreat here and it was perfect. Beautiful hotel, great breakfast and the staff was absolutely amazingly helpful. We will be back!!

• Liked — The bed and design
  • Disliked — The airconditioner wasn't as quiet as it could be
  • Stayed October 2008
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at the Ayers because we had friends getting married nearby and they booked a block of rooms there. We were honestly shocked at how nice it was considering the really good price we got. The room was enormous. The entire place is decorated lushly in a European theme, with pretty art, nice wallpaper etc. The room had a mini-fridge and microwave, which I always appreciate. The bedding was extremely comfortable.

The location is fine- very suburban and in a shopping area. The outside doesn't look like anything special, but the rooms were great.

The staff wasn't terribly friendly. The private breakfast the wedding party had was delicious.

I'd highly recommend the hotel. For the price, the room was awesome.

• Liked — The big room and the nice decoration
  • Disliked — The staff wasn't friendly
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This is a medium aged property in suburban Orange County. I spent three nights there while attending a business conference. The Ayers hotels are a small and, I think, privately owned hotel chain competing in the “semi-boutique” market.

The motif is an attempt at the 19th century European look. It comes off ok. The bed was comfortable. There is a free breakfast which includes hot egg dishes cooked to order. There is also something of a happy hour at which jug wine and canned beer is set out along with cheese and crackers. The main thing that I didn’t like was the air conditioning. The fan was so loud that I had to turn if off to talk on my cell phone but I had to leave it on most of the time since it was impossible to sleep with it cycling on and off. The room was somewhat small for two people and the only drawers were in the TV armoire so it would not be a good choice for a longer stay when you don’t want to live out of your suitcase. There is also a small fitness center but I would have preferred that they affiliate with a local commercial fitness center.

In summary, this hotel is just ok. I can’t really recommend it but, other than the AC fan, I don’t have any real complaints. However, next time I am in this area, I am going to try to find someplace I can like as opposed to merely accepting.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank accidental_squirrel
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed June 23, 2008

My brother was getting married at a private home in Laguna Hills, and the Ayres Hotel was one of the closest places for a lot of the family to stay. They gave us a good "wedding rate" and agreed to set aside 19 rooms. When we checked in, we were all pleasantly surprised at how lovely a facility it is. Check in was quick, and our room was beautiful. The room comes with a mini-kitchen, including fridge, microwave, coffeemaker,and sink. The king bed was luxurious and comfy. Everything was really clean, neat, and updated. We didn't have time to check out the pool or much of the grounds, but heard this was very nice. In the morning, the complimentary breakfast was great! A Belgian waffle- making station, fresh fruit, omlette station, bacon, sausage, pastries, bagels, etc. So the family and wedding guests who stayed at the hotel were able to have a nice after-wedding breakfast get-together in the large dining room, with everyone having whatever they wanted to eat. This was really a nice feature, and provided a perfect ending for a great weekend. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels

Been to Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods? Share your experiences!