“Great Stay”

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laguna Woods
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hands down! I would come back here if I get a chance. I wish our training was done in this hotel. I can't believe they give free beers and wine at happy hours from 5pm to 7pm. The staff is very friendly.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've stayed here before one trip to the Alisa Viejo area. This hotel is convenient to business, shopping, restaurants and entertainment. It is a little bit off the beaten path, which makes for a quiet stay. Staff is outstanding. The furnishings are very high-class.

The Ayres Hotel staff starts the day off right, with an excellent breakfast. They feature cooked to order omelettes and an assortment of other hot dishes, as well as a good selection of fruits and pastries. During the workweek, there is a complementary reception from 5 PM to 7 PM, featuring snacks and beverages and freshly baked cookies. It is a great welcome back to the hotel after a workday. On warm days, one can enjoy the comfortable patio and poolside.

The rooms are very comfortable and the beds are fantastic. The wireless Internet signal is powerful. The rack rate is just a bit on the expensive side, but when one considers the quality of the services, the high-class breakfast, and the complementary evening reception, this hotel is a real bargain. Add to that spectacular service by a great staff and comfortable rooms and you get real value.

1  Thank K W
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear K W,

Thank you very much for leaving such a thorough and kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to know you enjoy your stays here. Thank you for the compliments on our excellent team, we truly strive to offer the highest quality service and are pleased to see that we succeed in this goal with your stay. Thank you for informing others of our complimentary full American breakfast buffet and Manager's Reception, we hope you come to stay another time in the near future so that you may enjoy both again soon.

Vince Neale

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed at the Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods from February 17 through March 14; it's the third time I've had the pleasure of an extended stay at this property in the last two years.
The Ayres is a bargain for business travelers and its location is convenient, surrounded as it is by restaurants, shopping and only about a 20 minute drive to the beach and Laguna Canyon.

The breakfasts are always delicious, happy hours and of course, fresh-baked cookies around the clock are AMAZING. The lobby with its huge fireplace and comfortable seating is a delight, and the workout room is exceptional for a property of this size.

The only complaints I have about this location is enforcement of certain rules - like, no children under a certain age permitted in the workout room. I'm constantly seeking solace in the time I can find to exercise, and on two occasions this trip, children came into the workout room (unsupervised) and began making a racket and playing with the machines with no adults around to stop them.

Also, towels were unavailable in the workout room for several days in a row from around March 10 through the 14th; not sure why but I found that little detail unexpected from this property. In all the time I've spent at the Ayres Laguna (a total of about 9 weeks in the past 17 months), I've been impressed by the staff's meticulous attention to every detail, so this was a little bit of a disappointment.

Another minor annoyance is that the property doesn't cater to any particular market demographic, so one has to put up with an occasionally over-crowded workout room, breakfast room, parking lot etc., not to mention the aggravation of families with small screaming and unruly children knocking coffee out of your hand when you least expect it.

All in all however, the place is just too charming to stay anywhere else - the pool and hot tub are beautifully appointed, and a great courtyard surrounds them where one can enjoy breakfast or just plain old fresh air and sunshine in the available downtime.

One thing I'd like to see is more information on local take-out food; the main desk only knew of one Thai restaurant that delivered, and only one menu was available that had to be returned to the front desk!

Have to also mention the top-notch service provided by Minnie, Victoria, Rose and Ryan at the front desk - polite, friendly, prompt and professional at all times. Can't say enough about how great these four people in particular made my stay more comfortable. Kudos to them all.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite as far from the main lobby as possible - when evangelical groups visit on wee...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I had to jump on here and post this while I'm still riding the wave of contentment after my stay at the Ayres Laguna Woods. What a splendid hotel, especially for the price.

We were there for a short in/out weekend for a nearby wedding. Check-in was easy and they were able to accommodate our request for a poolside room. We have kids so being poolside made our stay seem like a vacation. The gated pool was clean and inviting and just perfect for our mini stay.

Beds were soft but comfy and we slept soundly. The biggest bonus? The FREE in-room WiFi. This is a huge bonus and one of the things we look for when booking a hotel. We had a strong signal from our room and kids were even able to play Minecraft without much lag. I want to hug the Ayres for making complimentary Wifi available. This is one of the few times we'd had free wifi w/a good signal - thank you, thank you, thank you!

And if that weren't enough, they have a complimentary breakfast each morning until 10am. Sure, it's a little like that of the Comfort Inn but the Ayres throws in made-to-order omelets, which in my book, takes it up a notch from the usual continental offerings of bagels, cold cereal and pastries. My kids need a protein boost in the morning and the breakfast at the Ayres sent us on our way in good moods. Coffee was nice and hot. (We also went over the hill to Laguna Beach and had the most lovely breakfast w/better ambiance, but I appreciated that we could grab something quick at the hotel.)

Another thing that made me happy was the back parking lot of the hotel is not a dark, isolated place like it is at other hotels. We parked out back and felt completely safe, especially as the backside of the hotel borders the courtyard and pool. There is a tiny but nice park out back, across the lot which makes for a nice lunch spot, or place to let kids play.

I wouldn't say I ever felt I was in an European style hotel, as the hotel bills itself. I mean, a Hometown Buffet shares the parking lot! But it's clean, comfortable and just filled with the little extras that make a difference. We really loved our stay! My kids had fun looking at the faux art on the walls of our room and going over the basic principles of art they learned about at school!

The only very minor annoyance is having to put our card key into the wall slot in order to get the lights nearest the door to work. That's a lot of fumbling in the dark to do when you enter the room for the first time.

Now I'm curious to check out the other Ayres locations as we are often in S. California.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2014

These days many hotels are indistinguishable from each other. This one stands out because of its unique style - it is in the best European style (except breakfast, unfortunately, which is fully American). I agree with other reviewers on facilities and service - they are very good. Internet is free, fast and reliable. The location is also very convenient - it's very close to major transportation routes (I-405) and at the same time close to some convenience stores and restaurants. All in all - highly recommended.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed 1 week here for business and staying here makes you feel at home. The staff is very friendly, rooms are clean and spacious, good complimentary breakfast is included, it has a nice small gym and is conveniently located in a 15 minute ride you are in laguna Beach. Next time I will def. stay there again

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This places rocks... Great staff (Minny & Victoria go above & beyond), custom hot breakfasts courtesy of Alex, Fabiola and Aida, Complimentary Beer & Wine each week-nite with Pizza Gratis on Thursdays... Super clean rooms and caring housekeepers... A pair of Mallards landed in the pool for 5 minutes and the manager had the whole thing cleaned and purged... Exemplary safety considerations...

Room Tip: If you have kids... Do everyone a favor and get a room on the first floor... around the outer perime...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear AlaskanKiwi,

We are so very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let others know on TripAdvisor how pleasant a stay with us can truly be. It is nice to see that the service you received was impeccable, we truly strive to offer the highest quality of service and are thrilled to know we succeeded in that goal with your stay. Thank you for letting others know how much you enjoyed the complimentary custom breakfast and Manager's Reception. We hope you will visit another time in the near future and thank you again.

Vince Neale

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods? Share your experiences!