“bad breakfasts”

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laguna Woods
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed over the Easter weekend visiting family in 'Leisure World.' The decor is faux-European, which would make most Europeans hysterical. But the bed is very comfortable and the room was clean and quiet. Front desk staff were also competent and pleasant to deal with.

Not so great in the breakfast room on Easter Sunday. The lady working behind the grill did not want to be there. When I ordered my breakfast, the response was 'Room number?'. Then when I went to get a cup of tea while she supposedly cooked my eggs, she forgot the order and moved on to making other people's breakfasts.

When I returned to pick up the eggs, I had to remind her of my order and she demonstrated obvious annoyance that I still wanted breakfast. She then responded by cooking them poorly - two broken yolks on eggs ordered 'over easy'. Not a great way to start the day.

Monday's breakfast chef was friendly, but completely overwhelmed at cooking breakfasts and having to bus tables all by himself. When we arrived there were 8 or 10 tables with dishes and debris on them, and only one place left to sit in a half-empty dining area.

If I would have been staying another night, I'd have gone out for breakfast and avoided this gong show of a breakfast room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear Human44 -

Thank you very much for your candid review of our hotel. While I am pleased you found the accommodations comfortable and clean and the service exceptional, I do apologize if our breakfast service was not as desired.

All of our hotels offer a complimentary full American breakfast as we know this meal is important to our guests and necessary to start the day off comfortably. An integral part of this meal is the service that goes along with it. On one of the days mentioned we were short staffed and I apologize if this caused any issue with cleanliness in the breakfast room. Please know that your comments are being taken very seriously and have already been shared with the breakfast team to ensure each guest is treated in a welcoming and warm manner and the cleanliness of the breakfast room is up to our very high standards.

Again I apologize for any inconvenience and hope we will have the chance to welcome you once again.

Regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We have been visiting this hotel for years now. It is absolutely my favorite to stay in when I visit Southern California. Like everyone says, it is not on the beach but only a few miles away. The courtyard is very relaxing and beautiful. I love to just sit out there and read and relax. The staff are all wonderful. The breakfast is top notch. It is close to freeways, Laguna Beach, and just about anything else you want. Great restaurants in the area, shopping mall, beach, movies, anything. Or you can just relax and enjoy the atmosphere. The decor of the hotel is beautiful. It is my personal taste which just makes me feel more at home. I cannot wait to return for my usual summer get away and recommend this to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: I always request ground floor because we enjoy going right outside our room and enjoying a nice glas...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear Lovegospa -

Thank you so much for your very kind words and for allowing us the opportunity to provide you with exceptional service time and again. I am so pleased that you find the hotel's ambiance, location, service, and accommodations so consistently comfortable. We do find that many guests find our location pleasing as we are close enough to Laguna Beach and its various offerings without being bogged down by the crowds that populate the area, so thank you for sharing this information with fellow travelers. We greatly appreciate being your choice of hotel when visiting Southern California and look forward to your return this summer.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel definitely lived up to the many glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. Although it is not on the beach, it is in a very upscale community that is convenient to everything in the area. The lovely decor was like something you would find in a much more expensive resort hotel. There was always a guest or two lounging comfortably by the fireplace in the lobby or chatting in the gorgeous pool area. The hot tub was truly hot (and with great jets!), and was a pleasure to enjoy under the full moon in the evening. Bathrooms had granite counters, the beds were fabulously comfortable, and everything was spotless. Breakfast is not to be missed with made-to-order omelets and other specialty items. The chef made the breakfast room feel like a five-star restaurant. The dignified yet very personable manager even came to every table with coffee and to converse with guests. The entire staff is to be commended on their outstanding customer service. My only disappointment is that because we rarely travel to Southern California, we will not have many opportunities to stay at an Ayres Hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel and, as other reviewers stated, cannot say enough good things about the Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Dear Sportymom74 -

It was such an honor having you as our guest. Thank you for your very kind words and for sharing your experience at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods with fellow travelers. Nothing pleases us more than to know we have provided the very best in service and accommodations to our guests, so I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us was so exceptional. I work with a wonderful team of people who take great pride in creating the best possible guest experience and will be sure to share your kind comments with them so they know they are appreciated. A guest recommendation is the highest honor a hotel can achieve so your enthusiastic review is greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Although you don't get the stunning views of the beach. The staff and amenities are too good to pass up. A breakfast that is simply the best. Happy hour that is not to be missed.
I travel for business a lot and their beds are the ones I can count on getting a good night sleep on.
Since this place is kind of hidden, it helps keep the families away. I like a nice quiet hotel where I don't have screaming kids up and down the hallways. Or bouncing off the walls in the rooms.
The pool and hot tub are so very clean and nice. A great seating area in the patio also.
You must see the old photos of the streets around that area in their hallway. And meet new friends at Happy Hour sitting in front of the fireplace.
Don't forget to bring a book to exchange in the seating area. Bring or leave a book. I have found many new authors there.
The price is average to good for the area. They have free shuttle service and the staff - I can't say enough good about them.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, get a room on the bottom floor that opens into the courtyard. My co-worker smo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear Kathy -

Thank you for your very kind review and for your continued patronage. What a treat to know that you continually find the accommodations inviting, the location convenient, and the weekday Manager's Reception conducive to discovering new friends and authors. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing a guest has had the best possible stay at our hotel time and again. We appreciate you sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Friendliness of the front desk staff varied from person to person. I recall Nick and Joy being very courteous and friendly. They both were very engaged in assuring I had a good experience.

Quality of the breakfast seemed to suffer greatly on Saturday and Sunday. The impression I got was that breakfast is scaled back on these two days due to the hotel being busier. If this is the case then I would expect additional staff provided to the breakfast area on these two days, yet instead there were still only two people and they were not as friendly as during the week.

Maid staff seemed to do the absolute minimum during our stay.

We would have utilized the limo service but it seems to be pretty useless. We were told they require 24 hours advance notice and only go to the mall, Irvine Spectrum, and the airport. Other hotels offer limo service that will take you to any destination within an 'x' number of mile radius of the hotel. This would be more useful. In addition, my flight was an early morning flight which required me to be at the airport by 5:30AM. The limo service was not available at this early hour of the morning. Why could I not get a limo to take me to the airport if I had to give 24 hour notice anyway?

Rooom was a double queen with the divider which gave a feeling of privacy. Would have been nice if there had been a tv for each bed instead of just one in the middle.

Finally, I feel that the Ayres hotel is a good value if booked at a discounted rate. However, I feel there are better options available when comparing it's full price to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel was very nice. The staff were always friendly and attentive. I absolutely loved the variety of items on the breakfast menu. Everything from cold cereal to omelettes. The room was just right and I slept like a baby every night.
I have to go back for business this summer and will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My corporate HQ office is in Irvine, so I find myself coming to the area several times a year for weekly stays. My hotel of choice is the Ayres on El Toro.

The staff is always friendly and helpful (Nick, Marilyn, Asif) whenever I am checking in or out.

The rooms are very comfortable. On this stay, I was in room 362 which has a king size bed along with a couch. There is a microwave and small fridge. There is a sink area outside the bathroom. There is plenty of walking space in the room even with a work desk, coffee table, and another small table with two chairs.

The rooms are very quiet as well. On this stay, there was a family across the hall with a little baby. I could hear crying when I was in the hallway, but nothing when I entered my room and closed the door.

There are laundry rooms in case you need it. ($2 for soap, $2 for the washer, and $2 for the dryer).

There is a breakfast buffet room where they have complimentary breakfast every day. This includes make to order eggs MON-FRI as well as scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage/bacon everyday. Fabiola, Alex, and Aida do everything they can to make breakfast a pleasant experience. Besides the hot food, they have cold cereals, a waffle maker, freshed cut fruits, pastries, toast, and oatmeal along with oranges, apples, and bananas. You will also see the manager, Vince Neale come through with fresh pots of coffee asking cutomers if they want refills.

There is a nice lounge area with a natural gas fireplace to sit and relax.

Monday through Thursday, they offer a reception from 5 to 7 pm with complimentary beer, wine, and soda along with chips and sometimes cheeses, fruits, and vegetables.

All around the hotel halls and public rooms are very interesting paintings. So many of them are of Venice that when I went to Venice last fall, everything seemed familiar to me.

The building itself is in a U-shape forming a courtyard filled with tables and chairs. In the middle is a small pool and a jacuzzi that is gated and fenced for safety.

I find the location convenient. From the hotel down El Toro, it is only a 1 and 1/2 miles to the 73 toll road and 6 miles from the PCH in Laguna Beach. In the other direction on El Toro, it is about 2 miles to the 5. Before that is the Laguna Hills Mall with a lot of restaurants inside and out.

The hotel is located in Town Centre with a Hometown Buffet, Sushi Wok, and Sub shop restaurants. Across the street on El Toro is a Carl's Jr., Rite Aid, and a Stater Brothers grocery store.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I would never hesitate coming back again and again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods? Share your experiences!