“Go if you like the bar scene but for a meal - no thanks”
Review of Fred's Mexican Cafe - CLOSED

Fred's Mexican Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television
Dana Point, California
“Go if you like the bar scene but for a meal - no thanks”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I went to this restaurant a year ago and none of us were happy with the food. I did not review it at that time. I returned recently with some friends, who wanted to check it out, and we were all disappointed with the food and service. The place has a great bar scene, many TV's, and advertises itself as the place to be for football games. We were there only for dinner and conversation. The service was horrible. We had to wait 30 minutes to get our food. We rarely saw our female server and on the rare occasions when she walked close by, we had to call out to get her attention to ask for something, i.e. water glasses refilled, dishes removed, another ice tea or whatever. Three of us ordered veggie quesadillas, which were dry and tasteless. Very difficult to cut with a knife, much less a fork. One person had chicken tacos, which were made with soft tacos, rather than the crispy ones she was expecting. She was told that the restaurant did not serve crispy tacos - period. Most unusual for a Mexican restaurant! Needless to say, we will not be returning.

• Visited December 2012

Dana Point, California
“Shrimp tacos are the best”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have never gotten anything other than their spicy shrimp tacos there! They are a favorite of mine. Fun atmosphere, fun staff and my family and I always enjoy ourselves.

Visited October 2012
southern California
“I'm a regular here!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Love Fred's, and am a regular here. But as with most things, it's good to have a strategy. I prefer a kind of quiet meal so I avoid the crowds and eat early or late. If the neighborhood bar is where you want to hang out with a bunch of people and take in a game on TV while enjoying some drinks, well, this is a good choice for that. (I just don't come during those times.) If you like family night with lots of action and lots of other young kids, try Sunday lunch or Taco Tuesday. (I won't be here then, either.) If you want to mingle with the beautiful people out on dates, and kick back drinks to the throbbing beat of classic rock, well, happy hour is the right time for you. We won't cross paths, but we'll all enjoy Fred's friendly, funky atmosphere and good, inexpensive, tasty fare. I keep coming back for more, but I'm not going to tell you when -- because I like it best when it's a little quieter and not crowded.

• Visited August 2012
Miami, Florida, United States
“Good place for margaritas and food after the beach-family friendly.”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We hit Freds with a large group after visiting the beach with the family. Food is good and fresh. Pricing is moderate. We went for an early dinner on a Saturday (around 5) so not sure how the dinner crowds are, but I am sure the place packs out. The kids all enjoyed their meals and the staff didn't seem to mind them wandering around since it wasnt busy. The atmosphere is funky and elcletic.

• Visited June 2012
Marana, Arizona
“Fun!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Margaritas were wonderful after a long day at the beach! Shrimp tacos and fajitas were enjoyed by the whole table. Took a picture in the cutout at the front of the restaurant ~ great memories!

• Visited July 2012