“Great value, great location”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My mother was recently hospitalized at Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo for a few days. I flew down from the Sacramento area to be close to her. Although I had noticed The Hills Hotel from the freeway in the past, I had never stayed there...so I gave it a try. I was extremely pleased. My room was spotless, quiet, and had very comfortable bedding. Kudos to the front desk staff--they were very courteous and helpful. Once I told them the reason for my visit, the on-duty staff never failed to ask me how my mother was doing. I put in some long hours sitting in the hospital by my mother's bedside, and it was always a delight to come "home" to the hotel. This location is perfect of you are visiting South Orange County. Mission Viejo, Dana Point and San Clemente are all close at hand, and the cost of a room at The Hills Hotel will not break the bank.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank milfoil592
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I'm so glad you had such a comfortable stay with us, especially since you were visiting Mission Viejo under difficult circumstances. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their courteous and helpful service. Our thoughts are with your mother and we wish you both all the best.

Take care,

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Hotel booked for me by my company - I usually stay in Marriott brand hotels, but apparently this remodeled hotel is one of better ones in Irvine area (???).

Off to a good start - friendly greeting, chick to change room away from freeway side of building. First impressions of remodeled room were good - comfy bed, good shower for freshening up after flight from London.

But the downsides - extremely poor and unreliable wireless network thoughout the hotel, on 2 mornings I was unable to connect on laptop, phone or ipad. Only one phone in room - by bed, and not on desk. Poor soundproofing from room above (not helped by the guest occupying that room walking about in what sounded like high heels on the tiled area of floor at 3am in the morning for at least 20 minutes.

I'll be requesting a different hotel next time I visit the area...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

While I'm glad you experienced friendly service and appreciated our recent renovations, I'm sorry you thought it was difficult to conduct business in your room. I completely understand how frustrating it is when your wireless doesn't connect. Do you mind letting me know what room you stayed in? I want to make sure our wireless is functioning properly going forward.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My review would have been 1 star if it wasn't for management fixing the situation.

The construction was so loud my ears burst at 8 AM.

Never coming back here again...

Wouldn't have anyway, as it was just for a 2 night quick stay as my estate was having some construction done to it.

Therefore, I paid to escape construction but ended up in the middle of construction.

Good game, thanks front desk for warning me...

Room Tip: Get the modern rooms. Worth it. Remodeled
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Patrick,

I sincerely apologize for the construction noise. We try our best to renovate and modernize our hotel while still making sure our guests enjoy a comfortable stay. It was nice talking to you earlier this week and for accepting our apologies.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We picked this hotel for the location, as we were visiting friends in the area, We were just looking for "clean and safe". Turned out the staff was very friendly, the service was truly excellent, and the young waiter in the restaurant was eager to be helpful. We had a very nice experience at the Hills Hotel, and hope to go back again. We will also recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sophiegabrielle
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

I'm so glad you were pleasantly surprised! I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their helpful and enthusiastic service. As a small independent hotel, I really appreciate you recommending us to friends. Hope to see you back again, too!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Love the fact that this location took dogs so we booked it. The clerk who checked us in was a delight. The room was OK but it smelled smokey and we don't smoke. The shower was so old we needed help getting it to work (and we travel all the time!!!). Even though the property felt safe, the doors and windows to the room did not feel very secure. They take dogs but there is little grass to walk them and no poopy bags or stations or water bowls out. Breakfast is complementary, and it was very good, but best of all was the man working the area in the back. Friendly & amazing service. If they work on a few things they will get repeat business.

Room Tip: all the way inside the court (end of the U)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hi Janis,

While I'm delighted to hear that you experienced friendly and helpful service, I'm sorry you felt a few aspects of your room was unsecured. We're working hard to renovate every single room so that future guests enjoy a much more pleasant experience. If you have any suggestions for us as we go forward with renovations, please let me know.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Two nights spent in a very comfortable room with friendly and excellent service. Very convenient location just off I5 close to local amenities. Room was comfortable and Bar & restaurant were very nice too.
Thanks for the enjoyable stay I will be back.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank PDeakin

I'm glad to hear you had such a pleasant and comfortable stay! Your experience is what we want for all our guests. It was a pleasure hosting you, and I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Loved the renovations of the hotel. The only disappointment was the bathroom area. No place to hang towels and shower (although I realize it's the new modern way) had no door to completely close while showering. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were decorated nicely. VERY CLEAN and staff was super nice. The bartender, Monica, in the bar was extremely friendly and nice. Would recommend. Priced right....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pj G

Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you appreciate all the work we've done to renovate our hotel. It's our goal to create a comfortable and inviting space for our guests, so I'm thrilled that's exactly what you experienced. I'll be sure to pass along your kind note to Monica as well. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!