The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed January 14, 2014

4th floor ugliness. Wacko interior design. Horrible bathroom fixtures. Wierd ramp from lobby to elevator, practically ran myself over with the luggage cart. IF you do stay here, request a room on a remodeled floor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Ed and Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. As you mentioned, we are currently remodeling our entire interior and updating each room with new fixtures. We're confident these changes will have a positive impact on our future guests' experience. If you have any constructive suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.

Take care,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel due to a business trip to neighboring area
Nice and cozy but not really welcoming staff. It's right off the freeway, but that's the view from your room as well.
Pool and gym are OK...
Relatively close to any where in the area

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us. While I'm glad you found your room nice and cozy, I'm alarmed to hear you thought our staff wasn't very welcoming. Do you mind letting me know what you experienced in more detail? As for our amenities, it's our goal to offer our guests a clean and comfortable place to stay that's conveniently located in town. If you have any suggestions on how we can better serve our guests. Please contact me by phone at 949 586 5000 or by email at rtorres@thelagunahillshotel.com. Thank you!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and daughter and I stayed for about a week at the Hills Hotel and had a very pleasant stay. The price was very fair for the accommodations. We would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Our staff is very dedicated to customer service and goes above and beyond to make sure our guests enjoy a wonderful stay. I'll be sure to let the team know you appreciate their great work. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

All the best,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Location ok because it's right off the freeway, but that's the view from your room as well. Rooms were decent; updated. Our bathroom had some dirt/hair on the floor. Eww. The 'Fitness Center' was a complete let down. Just a standard hotel room with 4 cardio machines, 2 of which didn't work. When we told the front desk, they gave us a blank stare and it was obvious they didn't care. Our room took about 15 minutes to produce WARM water, but we didn't report it until checkout, so it possibly could have been fixed. Bartender was personable. We stayed here to attend a wedding on the property, which was great.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. While I'm glad you had a fun time at the wedding, I'm sorry you were disappointed with your hotel room. Had we known that you discovered some dirt on your bathroom floor, our housekeeping staff would've cleaned it for you right away. As for our gym, we are currently in the process of renovating it and adding more machines. If you have any other suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Currently undergoing renovations, this is going to be a fabulous spot! Lobby looks amazing! Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Great spot - easy to get to and close to many shops and restaurants. Nice pool and deck. Our rooms had not been renovated yet, but the furniture, beds and linens were very nice. Excited to see how the rooms look when they renovate. Restaurant was great - well priced and fabulous food. Again, great staff!

Room Tip: we faced away from i5 and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for recommending us. It's nice to know you appreciate all the hard work we've put into our renovations, and we hope future guests have an even better experience with us once they're completed. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly and helpful service as well. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

All the best,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I normally stay at the Hills Hotel every weekend while visiting my son. Due to the holidays my recent stay for 16 days! I have to say it was like being home for 16 days because of the fantastic staff at the Hotel. They made our extended stay comfortable and were there for us with whatever we needed whenever we needed it!

Great Hotel, would highly recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Request the 1st floor if you can get it!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us whenever you visit your son. Knowing that you felt as if you were home is the best compliment. We want all of our guests to feel that way. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Take care,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

1. The hotel has a nice touch of a 4-star hotel (although it's a 3-star hotel).

2. The lobby is very nice, the staff is very friendly and helpful and always available.

3. A very big plus is the free self-service washer and dryer whereas the Wi-Fi is awfully slow and literally unusable at certain times (evening & early morning).

4. The room we had was also quite big as well as clean with lots of space, a bathrobe, an iron and ironing-board, a safe and a fridge.

5. Another minus is the beds. While they are very comfortable they do feel a bit fragile, almost like self-built at their lower part. My wife claims her pillow or bedsheets smelled a bit like cigarette smoke once or twice, but I personally can't say that about mine. I think that smell came from outside as the pool area was right below our room.

6. The I-5 behind the hotel can easily be heard in the night but luckily it wasn't loud enough to prevent us from sleeping.

We'd definitely stay there again as our overall impression was very good!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not too far from the elevator and not too close to the I-5.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that, on the whole, you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. I'll be sure to let the staff know you found our service friendly and helpful. They work hard to make sure all our guests have a fantastic experience. I appreciate your feedback about our WiFi, we recently upgrade our service to fiber optics. I will look into the matter to make sure it works more properly going forward. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're visiting Laguna Hills!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!