“Very affordable & almost comes across as a 4-star hotel”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed January 5, 2014

1. The hotel has a nice touch of a 4-star hotel (although it's a 3-star hotel).

2. The lobby is very nice, the staff is very friendly and helpful and always available.

3. A very big plus is the free self-service washer and dryer whereas the Wi-Fi is awfully slow and literally unusable at certain times (evening & early morning).

4. The room we had was also quite big as well as clean with lots of space, a bathrobe, an iron and ironing-board, a safe and a fridge.

5. Another minus is the beds. While they are very comfortable they do feel a bit fragile, almost like self-built at their lower part. My wife claims her pillow or bedsheets smelled a bit like cigarette smoke once or twice, but I personally can't say that about mine. I think that smell came from outside as the pool area was right below our room.

6. The I-5 behind the hotel can easily be heard in the night but luckily it wasn't loud enough to prevent us from sleeping.

We'd definitely stay there again as our overall impression was very good!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not too far from the elevator and not too close to the I-5.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that, on the whole, you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. I'll be sure to let the staff know you found our service friendly and helpful. They work hard to make sure all our guests have a fantastic experience. I appreciate your feedback about our WiFi, we recently upgrade our service to fiber optics. I will look into the matter to make sure it works more properly going forward. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're visiting Laguna Hills!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This newly renovated Holiday Inn was beautiful and clean. Staff was very friendly and the rooms were spacious and clean and pet-friendly! The King-sized bed was quite comfortable and pleasant for the duration.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you Ben! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay, and I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly service. The next time you're visiting Laguna Hills, we hope you stay with us again!

Take care,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Agents were quick and efficient upon check-in but their service lacked warmth. When we got to our room my husband and I realized we'd booked a room with 2 double beds and so we called down and asked for a king. Aware that the upgrade would cost extra (we saw the price difference online) we went back downstairs to get our new keys. The agent quoted us the new price for the upgrade and to our surprise she doubled it. We were both too tired to care and went into our new room. Aside from stains on the furniture and some minor maintenance issues the room was clean. Needless to say, we will be finding accomodations elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

I apologize about the confusion. We have several different types of king beds and each type has different rates. I want to make this right. Please contact me at 949 586 5000 ext. 142. I'm looking forward to hear back from you. Thank you!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Laguna Hills Hotel was,terrible, having stayed there two years ago I was grossly disappointed. The "newly renovated" and over-charged bathroom was a joke - not one towel rack, a plate glass i/2 wall for the shower - an accident waiting to happen. At 3 AM the framing from the bathroom door crashed on to my bed, thank God I was in the bathroom. Housekeeping was poor, the agreeable staff mostly does not speak English and they do not":get it"

Manager Armank offered me some compensation which was clearly unsatisfactory.but it... is not my style to get into a verbal confrontation. I told him I will not be staying in his hotel for a third year.

Room Tip: Do not fall for the " renovated bathrooms" or ask to see one first
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Eleanor,

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. In particular, I sincerely apologize for the door framing that fell on your bed. I completely agree that that is unacceptable, and I will make sure our maintenance staff looks into that issue right away so that that doesn't happen to future guests. Please contact me directly at 949 586 5000 ext. 142. Thank you!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed for one night at The Hills to see how it compared with a hotel in Laguna Woods where we usually stay when visiting Laguna Hills.

Plus
We had room 404 on the top floor. No neighbor noise. Reasonably large room
Friendly check-in and check-out and greeting whenever we passed the reception desk.
Availability of two elevators to serve only 4 levels
We were asked how was our stay, and the reception staff jotted down our suggestions for improvement (though we only mentioned a few)
Reasonably good location, lots of parking
Beautiful lobby and mezzanine, clearly a favorite place for meetings and seminars
They.graciously allowed us to check out at 1 pm
Free wi-fi

Minus
Noise of traffic was present, even though we were on the other side of the building
Bathtub shower squeaks when you shift your weight standing on it. Probably the tub is supported by a wooden frame. Occupant in the bathroom one floor below must have wondered what the devil was the source of the noise.
The king size bed squeaked loudly, incessantly, and mercilessly to all forms of horizontal back-and-forth motion.
We ordered breakfast from the menu at the coffee shop. The waitress asked my wife if she wanted more coffee, my wife said, "I don't think so, not yet," (in retrospect, she should have said, "no") and the waitress poured more coffee that overflowed onto her saucer and disappeared.
No hooks to hang two towels after shower
No HBO on the TV menu which seemed strange given the hotel's up-market image

We are glad we tried The Hills. We experienced some one-off frustrations that should be fixed soon, but we can confidently state that there are better hotel values in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
We appreciate the opportunity you have given The Hills Hotel to provide you our services. In addition, we thank you for your feedback as these are key points for us to continue learning about what needs to be improved. Your review is invaluable to our growth.

We are glad to hear that while there were some unsatisfactory details about your stay, our customer service was to your pleasing. Taking note of your review, we have addressed the issue regarding the squeaky bathtub and bed with our engineering department, along with the hooks for towels. Hooks for towels are being placed in all of our bathrooms to better accommodate our guests. In addition, we apologize that you were unable to enjoy the HBO channel that is provided in all our rooms. It can be found on channel 3 noted on our hotel TV Guide located in the hotel directory binder. Although all of our windows are double-paned to block out traffic noise, we understand it may still be an issue for some of our valued guests whom are a bit more sensitive to such outside noise. We are sorry to hear that was the case during your stay.

We cannot stress enough our drive to accommodate our valued guests, providing the services and amenities to reach 100% satisfaction for every stay. We apologize that we were unable to meet that goal during your stay at The Hills Hotel. Again, thank you for your time! We look forward to the opportunity to provide you our services again in the future. We will love to illustrate our attention to detail in taking note of your suggestions that have been rectified and improved!
Have an amazing New Year's Celebration!

Best regards,

Ronnie Torres
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I NEVER write reviews, but this hotel needs to be recognized. It is truly a hidden gem(not so hidden). I stay here every time i come to OC. The rooms are new, the rates are extremely competitive, food is excellent and the staff is incredible. I feel like I'm staying in my own apartment when I stay at The Hills. You will not find anything in the area with all they have to offer.

• Stayed: December 2013
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We can not thank you enough for taking the time to provide us your feedback from your most recent stay! It is a delight to hear your stay with us was completely satisfactory. That is what we aim for at The Hills Hotel, satisfied and happy guests!

Again, thank you for selecting The Hills Hotel and taking the time out of your day to recognize our services. We hope to continue having the pleasure of providing you accommodation. Have a beautiful Holiday Season and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here during my weekend retreat. What a lovely room for the end of a long day to rest up before the next busy day. Accommodations were wonderful! Service was top rate. Free Wifi. Dinner service just made it perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Hi Dione,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to provide us such great feedback. We always love hearing from our guests and will be sharing this with our staff. Also, if you are traveling through the area often and require accommodations on a frequent basis, please contact one of our sales managers at sales@thelagunahillshotel.com so they may provide you a corporate rate!

Look forward to having you stay with us at The Hills Hotel in the near future. Until then, have a wonderful Holiday Season and amazing New Years!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!