“Decent stay close to where I needed to be.”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Winfield, Illinois
“Decent stay close to where I needed to be.”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I was in the area for business, an stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. It was clean, comfortable bed, large updated bathrooms. It was a tad run down, but nothing that was the end of the world. It was quiet and met my needs as a business traveler nicely.

• Stayed August 2013
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi Melinda,

Thanks for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to know you found your room clean and comfortable. We're in the process of renovating our entire interior, so we hope you have an even more pleasant experience the next time you stay with us.

Ronnie Torres, Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I've stayed here several times with large groups who buy blocks of rooms. The rooms are marginal at best. A/C units are noisy and cycle on and off every 5 minutes all night. Bathrooms were dirty. Toilets would not flush unless you held the handle. Plus, every time you asked the staff for a favor, the first answer was no. We had a group of girls who were playing in a sports tournamanent. They had a break at 10 in the morning and wanted to get homework done. We asked if we could use a table in the bar that was empty. First Answer: no. The manager finally allowed it but there was no attempt to find an alternative. Just no. A friend got very ill and was staying in the room. When asked for a late check out, they offer 30 minutes. When they went to book for an extra night because the ill person could not travel, they wanted to charge and extra $50. The hotel was empty but there was no desire to accomodate the guest. Thne location is decent near the freeway and Starbucks, but I'll find somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear tfpucknut,

I am terribly sorry to learn that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to make this right, please contact me at rtorres@thelagunahillshotel.com to discuss your concerns further.

Yorba Linda
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I recently had a one night stay at the Hills Hotel with my 4 children. From the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out I only encountered friendly and accommodating staff. Room service was fast and when our toilet got stopped up (remember 4 kids in the room) they came immediately and took care of it. Room was very nice (we stayed in the upgraded area) but for me service is always the most important thing. Nice rooms are everywhere....but across the board friendly and accommodating staff is much harder to find.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mlomuscio
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that you experienced friendly and accommodating service from the moment you checked in. Hope you and your family get a chance to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice rooms although you could tell that the room was old and they tried to make it look more modern. Rooms roomy and clean. Beds a little too soft. They didn't clean the room and didn't replenish the toiletries during our stay. The trash wasn't taken out despite the bin being overflowing. Otherwise decent room although a little overpriced for the service received.

• Stayed August 2013
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you found your room spacious and clean. I'm sorry, though, that we didn't freshen up your room during your stay. I'll be sure to discuss this with the housekeeping staff so that we can better serve our guests going forward.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is my 6th or 7th time I am staying at The Hills Hotel. They always provide good service, and since they have added amenities to the rooms and renovated them, your stay is even more pleasurable. Staff are courteous and helpful. Accessibility is a great plus.

Room Tip: rooms are clean, comfortable and large
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 7856
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for recommending us! I sincerely appreciate all your support. The next time you stay with us, be sure to say hello so I can thank you in person.

Palm Desert, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at the Hills Hotel last week during a west coast business trip. Overall I had a decent experience. The hotel is easy to find at the La Paz exit on Interstate 5 in the Laguna Hills area of southern California. The check in process went smooth and the room I was given was very clean and spacious. The room had a good sized flat screen TV, updated bathroom, in room refrigerator, large bed, safe, and other extras. The outside pool was large, had plenty of chairs and was clean. My only meal I had at the hotel was breakfast. The food was very good, service prompt and reasonably priced. While I did not utilize the bar area it appeared to be large and well attended. Generally my only complaint is that I like to exercise when on the road and the Fitness Center only had a couple of cardio machines but no other equipment. The room was small and uncomfortable warm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi Dave,

Thanks for staying with last week. I'm glad to know you found your room clean, spacious and comfortable. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're traveling through Laguna Hills!

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was very disappointed with my stay at this hotel. The front desk staff were not friendly, they seemed like they didn't want to be there. Since I booked with Expedia I guess I get the worse room in the house. I had a basement room looking out back to dumpsters, two large trailers and misc. junk. I'm glad it was only a one night stay, I was glad to get out of there early the next morning.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you a room in the basement. If they say "just take the stairs down the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Owen I
Owen,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The last thing I want is for our staff to come across that way. I'll be sure to speak with them to make sure their service is more welcoming going forward.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!