The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Laguna Niguel, California
“pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I booked our stay at the Hills Hotel with a group rate of $115 per night. We were assigned a room which overlooked the freeway, and it was very noisy even with the windows closed. Both of us are easily awakened, so my husband got on the phone and requested a different room across the building. We moved to a room overlooking the pool. It was much quieter, but then some people were loud at the pool late at night. We couldn't win. Unfortunately we were charged a $10 fee for changing rooms.

The event we attended in the ball room was awesome. The hallways and loft surrounding our event which held the silent auctions was perfect. The food served at our banquet was delicious. Our breakfast at the restaurant was delicious as well, and we received excellent service.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The facility is good but not top of the line, some of the areas in the bathrooms and rooms are showing age. Also, fitness center needs some serious attention - not really up to standards found in most 2 star hotels I travel in for business - expected much more. Staff was quite courteous.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We genuinely appreciate and listen to customer feedback, and use it to improve going forward. In fact, we are currently in the process of renovating our entire interior, including our gym. We hope to be able to offer our guests modern rooms and new amenities by the end of the year. I hope you give us another chance and stay with us the next time you're in town.

All the best,
Orange County, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Booked a colleague here as its near my home and I was impressed with the changes that have been made since it was the Old Holiday Inn. Its very contemporary on the inside and the renovated rooms are very attractive and comfortable. The restaurant was very good for breakfast although a bit pricey.
Will definitely use this property again when needed. The banquet room also looked nice and the bar is contemporary as well

Room Tip: Try for away from freeway i.e. pool view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Steve,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. Knowing that you plan to book a room with us again is the best compliment. It's nice to know you recognize and appreciate all the changes we've made recently to renovate and modernize our rooms.

Best,
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked my room 1-2 mos in advance and was led ot the website that the hotel rooms was new. Specfically told the rep i booked my room over the phone that i want the new rooms and willing to pay more for it. When I arrived at my room the ceiling has a yellow patch in the ceiling possibly due to water leak in celing, the shower had one glass so the other half was missing, the staff said that's how it suppose to be, never seen such a horrible bathtub eexperience in my life and we stay at over 10+ plus hotels, and one of the light stand wasn't working and when maintence came in they found out one of the outlets didn'twork cause the electrical wiring was cut off. Anyways this was not room was not NEW . RIPOFF! and pissed stay away from room #125 and i am pissed that rep that i spoke to gave me a room that was not ready not new and didn't accommodate me.

Room Tip: do not choose room #125
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear ParkerLight360, I would like to begin my reply by thanking you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience with us! We received many positive feedback about our customer service and the improvements we did in our property especially our newly renovated rooms. I apologize if our service didn't exceed your expectations. I have sent you a private message to get a better understanding regarding your recent experience with us.

Both our Chief Engineer and Housekeeping manager is doing a thorough inspection in the room to avoid this type of inconvenience in the future. Again, I apologize for failing to exceed your expectations and I hope you will still give us another chance to provide you an exceptional service.

You can always reach me via email at rtorres@thelagunahillshotel.com or my direct line at 949 268 9300.
Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently stayed for a 5 night, long overdue, southern California visit with friends and family. I chose The Hills for the location and price. I honestly didn't expect to have such a perfect stay. I deliberately got the remodeled room which was amazing. I was very worried as it looked out on the freeway, uh oh noise, well suffice it to say I couldn't even hear trucks in the middle of the night, nor could I hear doors opening and closing, toilets flushing, people walking above me or outside the room. The bed was very comfortable, internet was good, no passwords to keep booting you off in the middle of something. I regret I was too busy to eat there. The breakfast buffet looked amazing.

There was a wedding one night, could hear slightly from lobby, no where else. The bar looked cozy, but again, I didn't have much down time to my regret. The staff was amazing. Helpful, friendly, always there to help you out.

Amazing location, easy access to the freeway, and at least for now, very reasonable prices. I will stay there any time I head to southern Orange County. Can't go wrong. Loved the shower, which was the size of a bathtub. I didn't need a tub and prefer to shower in a real shower.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the updated rooms. I chose the updated and upgraded.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel in the past and do so again because the experience just gets better each time! I was fortunate to have one of the recently refurbished room and it reflected the thought and style and probably the direction the entire hotel is taking. Refrigerator, microwave, comfortable bed and clean. The friendly front desk and attention to detail coupled with the a great breakfast makes a stay easy and allows shopping, sightseeing or beach time. The nearby restaurants also enhance the stay at the Hills. Ask for Arman Khadiwi, Front Desk Supervisor at The Hills Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm delighted to know every stay with us has been better than the last. That's exactly the direction where we want to be heading! We'd love to hear about your experience on Yelp as well. Thanks again for all your support. I sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Best wishes,
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

On a recent working vacation to California, I was fortunate enough to stay at the Hills Hotel. I am a firm believer that it's easy to put in a marble floor in the lobby, the hard part is good service. The Hills Hotel has outstanding service. I'm bad at names, but there was a male Front Desk Attendant, who greeted me by name from the first day until the last. That recognition made me feel like I was the most important guest in the hotel. The Front Desk was also very attentive while I received fax after fax. Service and the food at the restaurant was just as impressive. The property, inside and out, always looked fantastic. Like every room I stay in, I thoroughly inspected my room when I checked in and found it to be perfectly clean. The decor in the room was very nice, the bed and pillows were wonderful, and even the bath amenities were surprisingly decadent. Business travelers may especially like the desk in the room, great quality internet, and in-room digital safe. Leisure travelers will especially enjoy the atmosphere and decor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Fairfield Inn Mission Viejo Orange County
Homewood Suites by Hilton Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!