“Nice, clean and comfrortable!”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Sonoma California
“Nice, clean and comfrortable!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed there because the ratings were good while looking for last minute accomodations. Thought the decorations in the living areas were a little over the top but overall it was cozy, very clean and felt confortable in our room. Bed was nice and the sheets sooo sparkling white I was in heaven. variety of pillow firmness to choose from on every bed was a nice surprise. Had the breakfast Buffet which was not gourmet but it was much better than the choices you get as hot breakfast at other hotel chains. Thought the walls in the bathroom could use resurfacing but they were nicely painted and mold free. Bathroom was very clean. toiletries were decent. Towels were large and fluffy.. well done Hills Hotel, Well Done.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed June 3, 2012

From the outside was unsure, but once inside it was clean, beautiful and staff was very polite. Not the best room service selections but overall great stay and great price!

• Stayed June 2012
Riverside, California
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Keeps getting better and better. Visited my daughter and her family again. Always enjoy staying at the Hills. The staff go out of there way to accommodate us, remembering our names and room type preferences. The remodeled restaurant is beautiful! Meetings going on everywhere and they still managed to make us feel special. Thanks specifically to the front desk staff and housekeeping.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We held a business meeting and the entire staff was always available with consistent service.
The best part of their remodel are the new fantastic beds and pillows...extremely confortable...if you want a good night's sleep the beds are great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank L B
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your feedback to the entire staff of The Hills Hotel and We are looking forward to your next visit here at Laguna Hills.
Austin, Texas (We're full...so come visit, then leave)
Reviewed March 9, 2012

In town for an event we checked into the Hills. I'll say this--the Hills staff is pretty good. And the hotel itself isn't bad.

Now that that's out of the way...here comes the bad. The lounge closes at 10p. The rooms were probably awesome maybe 25 years ago. There's still glimmers of awesomeness in the rooms, but it fades quickly. Our room had two double beds with sandpaper for sheets. One of the beds was cozied up to the air conditioner which blew on me all night long.

The shower failed to get hot until I was almost done. Some of our friends saw mold and other cleanliness issues in their bathrooms but ours was clean.

All in all, I was left with feeling like the property was under appreciated. It probably could be a cool hotel but it does need some renovations.

We eventually checked out early and went to stay somewhere else...and that's the first time we've ever done that.

My advice...avoid The Hills.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank ap3266
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
I remember this incident and we checked the room right away. There was a leak on the ceiling by the shower head that was fixed right away and we didn't find any traces of mold. As a matter of fact, that person apologized to us and Thanking us for taking actions right away. We are saddened to hear you checked out early but we do really appreciate you staying with us. Also, We are very confident that our rooms are clean and our cleaning staff are very hard working and well trained.
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights over President's Day Weekend at The Hills. Our king-bed room was very spacious. Nice bed linens and we both slept very comfortably! Free bottles of water in our room were a nice touch! My husband is tall, so the high showerhead, great water pressure and deep tub were all a plus for us! There were some touch-ups with paint on the door and in the bathroom in mid-progress, but it didn't affect our visit in the least. Our room was on the I-5 side of the hotel, but you wouldn't have known it with no traffic noise at all! All of the facilities were beautifully appointed, nice lounge and restaurant, as well as a comfortable front patio seating area. Perfect location to head out to any of the Beach Cities. Major Amusement Parks North, Beach Cities, Artsy Enclaves, Irvine Spectum and upscale shopping...the area has it all! Front Desk Staff were especially courteous and helpful with directions, and greeted us each time we were coming or going to our room. I noticed some spots on the arm of the sofa in our room and reported it as we were checking out. The manager overhead my comment and immediately asked for my room number and assured me they would take action to correct the issue. We were very impressed with The Hills hotel and the staff, and will definitely stay again when we're in the area!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 107, which required walking down a steep interior ramp. I'm disabled and walk...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I can't even begin to describe the horrible experience that my husband and I had with this hotel when we stayed here on our wedding night. We got married on July 16, 2011, in San Juan Capistrano at a beautiful country club. Half of our guests stayed at the Dana Marina Inn in the Dana Point Harbor and the other half stayed at the Hills Hotel in Laguna Hills.
After our wedding night was over, my husband and I were "wisked away" in our hummer limo to our "honeymoon suite" at the Hills. We were so excited but very tired as well. When we arrived at the hotel at 2:30am ( I in my wedding gown and my husband in his suit), no one from the hotel even acknowledged us or helped us bring in any luggage from our car that had been parked at the hotel. We had to carry in all the luggage ourselves -- not exactly romantic.
Now that we had gotten our luggage ourselves, my husband and I entered the lobby and approached the front desk to check in to our room. Once again, even though there were two individuals standing behind the desk working on the computer, they were very rude. We didn't even get a single "hello" or "congratulations". Is this how you treat your guests? Even a simple "We'll be with you in a minute" would have suited me just fine. Instead, we were completely ignored for a good 10 minutes or so.
We were finally assisted by the men at the front desk. They gave us two key cards and we headed up to our room with our luggage in tow. At this point, I was so ready to get into our room and get some sleep, as we had a brunch to attend the next morning. To our dismay, when we slid our key cards into the door, we weren't seeing any green flashing lights that would give us access to our room. Instead, all we saw was bright red. Our room keys weren't activated! At first we thought this was a fluke and that it had just happened to us. However, when my husband went back down to the lobby to resolve this issue, it appeared that a couple other wedding guests of ours were experiencing the same issues. I was so embarrassed that my guests also had to deal with the hotel's incompetence.
Later on, my husband and I came to find that the hotel didn't even have a room for us in their system. In fact, when a friend of ours went over to the hotel 2 hours before our arrival to decorate our room with rose petals, and candles, there was no record of our room in the Hills' database. The room that they did put us in was definitely NOT newly remodeled and NOT a honeymoon suite by any means!! Instead, the hotel stuck us in whatever room they had available. Had our friend not gone to the hotel prior to us getting there, my husband and I would not have had a room on our wedding night.
Any other night, I might have let these little things slide, but the fact that I was a newlywed anticipating that romantic night in my "honeymoon suite" with my husband, kind of changed things a bit. I hope this hotel will not treat other newleyweds the way that we were treated. They definitely put a damper on my first night as a married woman.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NatalieW711
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Unfortunately, we do not have a bellman available outside the hotel however, our frontdesk agents can definitely assist you anytime. It would be greatly appreciated if we were informed either calling us ahead of time or informed us at the desk because our front loading/unloading zone is not visible from the frontdesk.

We did coach and remind our staff that even in a very busy night, we need to be more attentive and proactive. We do apologize about this and we are very confident that this will never happen again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Fairfield Inn Mission Viejo Orange County
Homewood Suites by Hilton Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!