“Horrible Check in Experience”

Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Fresno, CA
“Horrible Check in Experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed here August 7, 2010 to go to the Pageant of The Masters in Laguna Beach. I reserved 2 rooms, one for myself and the 2nd one for my 2 friends. My room was ready upon check in at 2p.m. There room was not ready .We put our luggage in my room until theirs was ready. Understandable considering Check in was 3 p.m. We went to wait by the pool area, which was very nice. 3 p.m. comes and room still not ready. It needed to be cleaned still. The desk clerk could not give us a time when it would be ready and said they have no communication with the maid staff. What? Seriously? Every hotel I have ever stayed in has had communication with their maids. Anyway. 3:30 come around. Still nothing. My one friend asked to talk to the manager as this is unacceptable. No manager there. Again, what? After much urging they finally call their corporate office and give the phone to my friend who proceeded ina professional manner tell them this a bad customer service and their desk clerks could offer no reason and no appology. They onyl said they were busy last night and the rooms are extra dirty. Did not make sense at all. In the menatime, I run up to the floor wher our rooms were and noticed teh maid at my friends room and asked how long. He was very pleasant and said 20 minutes. That's all it took was for some one to go up and ask. The rest of the stay was very nice, the rooms were clean and the pool veiw was nice. We had rooms 202 and 204. 202 was much bigger and the same price as room 202. 204 had 500 sq ft, Separate bedroom with a door and 2 double beds. Refridgerator, microwave, coffe maker,etc. The breakfast was good too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I stayed 3 nights on the occasion of a family visit. It is close to Interstate I-5 amongst a mixture of suburban office buildings, specialised shops and gated communities typical of Orange County. It contains what it says on the box: it is a standard suburban hotel/motelpart of huge chain. It is not bad but it does not offer much. Unfortunately I was ill so didn't use the swimming pool, which looked quite nice. Although my room was along on the side of building and rather towards the back, traffic noise from the interstate is noticable even with all windows closed. It must be pretty bad for the rooms at the front, facing the highway.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Northern California
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Booked this trip via Priceline.com at the last minute for a Friday/Saturday stay. We arrived At 3:30am Saturday morning. Found a guest sleeping in the lobby who let us in. The night clerk was MIA for a while. Once the clerk checked us in, we went to our room. I located the fridge and found 3 bottles of what looked like very old bottled water that had been left in the fridge when the fridge had been on, then turned off!. Also, the room had no 'do not disturb' signs. Also found some kind of black hairs on the sheets.Appears as if the room isn't cleaned thoroughly. Left room @ 9:30 am, returned at 10pm that night only to find that the maid hadn't cleaned our room or made the bed! Complained to the front desk, a Thomas, who could not have cared less! He couldn't even say 'sorry' or 'I apologize for the inconvenience, what can I do to make things right?" Instead, he tried to blame us for the problem saying we must have left the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Explained that couldn't be the problem cuz there was no sign in the room. Again, instead of apologizing all he could say is he could have someone bring towels and empty the trash, if we wanted. But his tone of voice wasn't friendly. He clearly didn't want to be bothered. Told him I wanted the bed made, but all he would say is to repeat that he would have someone bring clean towels. Explained that wasn't satisfactory. Asked him where was the concern for customer satisfaction? Where was the apology? Why wasn't there ANY effort to compensate us for the inconveniences??? He said we were Priceline customers and just kept repeating that he would bring clean towels and empty the trash, only if we wanted that, Advised him I would complain, but he didn't care. Spoke to the maid the next morning, who didn't even realize we were there!! She hadn't been told we were had checked in, so she didn't come to clean the room. Told her about the missing signs, which she promptly replaced. Also spoke to the front desk the morning we checked out to explain the problems and let her know how unhappy we were. I also told her I was very unhappy that we weren't offered some kind of compensation for our poor treatment and inconveniences, but she said we were Priceline customers. (Apparently, if you are a Priceline customer, they don't feel the need to ensure customer satisfaction or offer compensations for mis-treating customers). At least she said she was sorry, but she NEVER asked if there was anything she could do to make up for the problems, nor did she offer any kind of compensation. Only after the THIRD time of me saying 'I can't believe you didn''t offer me SOME kind of compensation, did she offer us a free breakfast. However, it was too late, as we had to get on the road. We left a comment card with her, explaining all of the issues that we had. Also complained to Priceline.com who investigated the problem. The Marriott management had the nerve to say that there was no note left at the front desk stating there was a problem. (Guess the woman at the front desk *accidently* lost my comment card). But, they told Priceline that they did offer to clean my room, which I turned down. If there was no problem, why would they offer to clean my room??? Priceline bought that!!! They NEVER OFFERED TO CLEAN MY ROOM and I wouldn't have turned that offer down! Honestly, this is the second time my family has had problems with hotels mistreating us, yet because we were Priceline customers, the hotels don't feel the need to rectify customer issues. I don't know that I will use Priceline again, firstly because I don't want to stay at a Marriott again and secondly, I don't want to deal with the headaches when something goes wrong. In my opinion, this hotel isn't getting enough customers to allow them to hire enough maids to properly and routinely clean the rooms. The staff at this hotel doesn't care

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MzKitKat

Travelers are raving about these Laguna Hills hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed here in a 1 bedroom suite with my wife and in-laws for a wedding in Laguna Beach. Typical Courtyard, no compliants there. I liked the two computers in the lobby with free internet. The staff was very friendly.

We are young and in-shape, so we walked to the IN & Out Burger that was up the street (next to a mall as well). Also could walk to CoCos for breakfast (much shorter walk). Went to Disneyland (20 minute all freeway drive) and San Diego Balboa Park (1hr). Good location right on highway.

My wife and I stayed on a fold out bed in the living room - worst bed I have ever been on. Granted, its a foldout, but it was bad. My in-laws did not complain about their king size bed, so I guess they were fine. Just avoid the roll-outs :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Any local starbucks
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Top 3 for Courtyard Irvine: #1 Great price #2 The NICEST employees all work here!! #3 (..and my personal favorite) THE BEST WATER PRESSURE FROM A SHOWER ON THE WEST COAST!!! ..didn't really want to leave the stall and go to bed.. but I was getting wrinkly :-).

The hotel is next to a freeway, but ask for a room in the back or over the pool. with the window closed, I didn't hear traffic. Coco's and Carls Jr are right up the street. I couldn't find a supermarket, drugstore or starbucks nearby.. but then again.. I didn't look really hard.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
amsterdam
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Stayed Feb 24th -28th 2008: Room’s decent and certainly clean and a comfortable bed, decent shower, shampoo etc and plenty of towels available. I had super wireless connectivity. Breakfast was grand - not included but something for all and a very pleasant gentleman served me each day of my stay (names!). Reception folk were also very friendly; newspaper popped under the door each morning, free coffee and tea, little shop for emergencies, overall my experience = a really pleasant stay.

• Liked — clean, comfy and frienldy staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
rmcneely
Reviewed February 28, 2008

This is your basic Courtyard. I had to change rooms when I arrived from the east coast due to non functioning internet modem in the room. Next room had an intermittent internet connection. I ended up switching to my verizon PC card for a slower but at least consistent internet connection.

I asked for a late check out. Being a Platinum Marriott member I would expect at least 2 hours but got a whole 1 hour.

I'll be back in the area in 2 weeks but won't stay here again. OK hotel if a solid internet connection isn't necessary for your work.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bad internet. bad staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Homewood Suites by Hilton Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach

Been to Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County? Share your experiences!