“Nice rooms, peace and quiet, smelly towels, painfully slow Internet.”

Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Chula Vista, California
“Nice rooms, peace and quiet, smelly towels, painfully slow Internet.”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I've stayed at Courtyards all over the country and have always sought them out for consistent quality. The rooms are usually well appointed and I can usually count on a certain level of quiet. This location is no different with two notable exceptions: the towels smelled eggy or downright sour, and the Internet speed was poor.

Have you ever eun towels through the washer but forgot to dry them for a few days? That's how these smelled. I kept throwing them on the floor so I'd get a new set, but they all smelled the same.

Lastly, for a business-targeted hotel, the Internet access speed (both wired and wireless) was reminiscent of the modem days...seriously. Tethering with my phone was faster.

Comparing other hotels in the area, I'd still stay here because it's centrally located and gave me what I want most in a hotel: quiet.

• Stayed July 2011
jmsch344, General Manager at Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
I am sorry to hear about your experience with the towels and internet. After seeing your review we had a meeting with the housekeepers and showed them your comments. They are now double checking all of the linen that is coming out of the laundry room to ensure it smells fresh. I am also pleased to announce that we are currently installing a new high speed switch which will increase our current bandwidth and speed by more than 5X. Thank you for your comments and for helping us to continue to improve our hotel for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Convenient to the I-5, restaurants within a mile and the Irvine Spectrum is a city within itself! Our rooms faced away from the front of the hotel and were quiet, clean and comfy. The only drawback was the choice of a king bed or double. Seems the double is small for two adults when you're used to sleeping on a california king; no big deal. Great job Marriott!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Than you so much for staying with us it is very much appreciated.
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

In short, this is about 10 to 15 min away from most of the business parks in the area. There is no shuttle and be prepared to wait in excess of 15-20 min for a taxi to arrive.

The setup of the hotel is the saving grace. The atmosphere is very business traveller friendly. The front lobby is great for meetings and casual conversations. The bistro is nice and has the right size portioned food for any meal bbut of course, it leans more towards the expensive side.

Internet in the rooms is good but can be slow during peak times (I found btwn 5 and 9 pm).

As for the surrounding area, there isn't much. If you want a decent meal or change from the bistro, you will need to walk 6-8 min to find a Coco's and a Carl's Jr. Walk about a mile and there is a Buffalo Wild Wings on the other sidebar the overpass.

If you have a car or don't needto rely in transportation, this is a good hotel. Otherwise, expect to get everything you need at/in the hotel.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I am always a little leary of hotels websites photos of their facilities. The hotel was better than advertised. Upon arrival into the lobby i was warmly greeted by the front desk. The lobby was very nice and had a small restaurant which we ordered a pizza. We sat in one of the updated booths with a personal flat screen Tv in the booth.

The rooms were modern, clean and had a in suite refrigerator. The satellite tv had plenty of channels and most importantly the king size bed was quite comfortable. It was nice to have a couch in the room for us to watch tv from. The couch also was a fold out bed. We stopped in the exercise room which appeared to have have. Nice equipment including free weights. The pool was nice as well. If you are looking for a nice clean and comfortable room at a reasonable rate I suggest trying this hotel.

Yardley, PA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the Courtyard Laguna Hills for a week on business and was completely impressed. I do quite a bit of travel and have to say this was the nicest Courtyard I have experienced.

The hotel was completely remodeled, so any reviews prior to construction probably no longer apply. The lobby is beautifully appointed and has a Bistro area included in it. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner (for an additional charge). I only ate breakfast and it was very good and resonably priced. The serving staff was excellent. In the evening, the serving bar is turned into a "happy hour" bar, which I think is a nice touch.

The rooms are also beautiful and the attention to detail in the design was apparent. Little things like the caulk around the sink matched the exact color of the wallpaper, countertops, tiles and backsplashes were all nicely done (no chop jobs or sloppy workmanship). Kudos to the designer for selecting nice colors and not so obnoxious carpeting, etc. as in many hotels. Everything was tastefully done.

The front desk staff was very helpful. The only major complaint I would have was that my room key did not work all the time. They claimed it was demagnitized from being close to my cell phone, but after the first incident I was carefuly not to put them near each other and it still happened.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would higly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My rating is really 3.5 stars; and I would stay again if in town for business, but I would not if on a family vacation. Stayed 5 nights, in town with extended family for a wedding. Hotel offered a good bulk rate for the wedding guests, was flexible with check-ins and late checkouts. Rooms were recently updated, had a nice modern feel, and were clean. Beds seemed new, and comfortable. They had good accommodations for two of our group who use wheelchairs. This is right next to I-5, and while traffic noise was not an issue with double paned windows if closed, the rooms were quite noisy if windows / patio door open. There was also a problem with easily heard hallway noise, and people in our group staying in a room near the fitness room had to be moved. There is a small business center with free printing, wireless and wired access; and a tiny fitness room with a couple of treadmills and a set of free-weights; the swimming pool and spa were well maintained. The lobby is comfortable, but has several booths (for diners) with televisions in each one, and is noisy. There is a cafe/bar in the lobby has limited hours of service, and the food is mediocre at best. The staff was pleasant for the most part, but I felt like the lobby was understaffed. Several times, only one person was staffing the front-desk, and we had to search for / wait for that person if they were in the office, or waiting on a customer at the cafe/bar. This Courtyard definitely is geared up for and staffed for business travelers and they anticipate everyone being out of the hotel by 9 am. I would stay there again if in town with that program, but this hotel was missing the level of service and amenities I would expect if on a vacation, especially with children.

Room Tip: Upgraded room to a suite on request, no charge