“One of the BEST Courtyards I've ever been to!!”

Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Yardley, PA
“One of the BEST Courtyards I've ever been to!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the Courtyard Laguna Hills for a week on business and was completely impressed. I do quite a bit of travel and have to say this was the nicest Courtyard I have experienced.

The hotel was completely remodeled, so any reviews prior to construction probably no longer apply. The lobby is beautifully appointed and has a Bistro area included in it. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner (for an additional charge). I only ate breakfast and it was very good and resonably priced. The serving staff was excellent. In the evening, the serving bar is turned into a "happy hour" bar, which I think is a nice touch.

The rooms are also beautiful and the attention to detail in the design was apparent. Little things like the caulk around the sink matched the exact color of the wallpaper, countertops, tiles and backsplashes were all nicely done (no chop jobs or sloppy workmanship). Kudos to the designer for selecting nice colors and not so obnoxious carpeting, etc. as in many hotels. Everything was tastefully done.

The front desk staff was very helpful. The only major complaint I would have was that my room key did not work all the time. They claimed it was demagnitized from being close to my cell phone, but after the first incident I was carefuly not to put them near each other and it still happened.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would higly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My rating is really 3.5 stars; and I would stay again if in town for business, but I would not if on a family vacation. Stayed 5 nights, in town with extended family for a wedding. Hotel offered a good bulk rate for the wedding guests, was flexible with check-ins and late checkouts. Rooms were recently updated, had a nice modern feel, and were clean. Beds seemed new, and comfortable. They had good accommodations for two of our group who use wheelchairs. This is right next to I-5, and while traffic noise was not an issue with double paned windows if closed, the rooms were quite noisy if windows / patio door open. There was also a problem with easily heard hallway noise, and people in our group staying in a room near the fitness room had to be moved. There is a small business center with free printing, wireless and wired access; and a tiny fitness room with a couple of treadmills and a set of free-weights; the swimming pool and spa were well maintained. The lobby is comfortable, but has several booths (for diners) with televisions in each one, and is noisy. There is a cafe/bar in the lobby has limited hours of service, and the food is mediocre at best. The staff was pleasant for the most part, but I felt like the lobby was understaffed. Several times, only one person was staffing the front-desk, and we had to search for / wait for that person if they were in the office, or waiting on a customer at the cafe/bar. This Courtyard definitely is geared up for and staffed for business travelers and they anticipate everyone being out of the hotel by 9 am. I would stay there again if in town with that program, but this hotel was missing the level of service and amenities I would expect if on a vacation, especially with children.

Room Tip: Upgraded room to a suite on request, no charge
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We checked in late but were greeted warmly and sent right to our comfortable, connecting rooms. It was clean and pleasant and quiet even though it was right off the highway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Check-in was good - got up to my room, and noticed immediately the traffic noise. This was caused by the window not being all the way shut, but I was not able to close it. Called to front desk to have this fixed. Someone was sent up immediately, but they still couldn't get it to latch. It appears that the window is beyond repair. I had also discovered that one of the cleaning staff had left behind a dirty cleaning towel on the sink.

I soon noticed that half the channels on the TV were not working. I called down regarding that issue. They sent someone up immediately, and then I was told that it would be fixed right away. It wasn't fixed, and I was not notified of any update. It has now been three days without access to any March Madness games or HBO. I've had to call the front desk six times now looking for updates. A couple of times they told me it was all fixed - except my TV didn't seem to agree with them. When I called this evening and spoke with Gary, I received a lot of attitude. He got upset because he stated he left me a message. Well, I did not have any message light on my phone, so I suggested that they need to look into the issues with their phones now. Oddly, about two minutes after I got off the call, my message light came on. I guess "someone" got maintenance on that one right away, since they don't appreciate looking stupid to the customer.

Additional items of concern: the internet service is very slow, and the workout room has been jammed into a space that isn't fully suitable. It is rather difficult to run on the treadmill when there is only a two inch clearance between your head and the ceiling, so beware if you are over 6 foot.

The guest rooms are also on the small side. I recently stayed at a Courtyard in South Carolina, outside of Greenville. The standard guest rooms there were significantly larger - and didn't come with all of the issues I encountered here.

It seems that this place has a number of issues that the cosmetic updates haven't corrected. They need to go beyond that. Now, they really need to work on the basics of the building - such as windows, phones, internet, cable, and appropriately sized space.

Finally, if you want a quiet place to sleep, look elsewhere. The hotel is overlooking the 405, and because the freeway is at an angle there is no side that faces away from the freeway. I had asked for a room opposite the freeway, and I was told this room was. I think they need to be more honest with the fact that neither side is away from the freeway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank C00per01
Irvine, California
Reviewed February 12, 2011

The entire hotel has recently been renovated and looks great. The staff at Courtyrd Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum was fantastic. They allowed us to check in early. Although the lobby restaurant was closed, the receptionist got me a plate so I could heat up my leftovers. She even got me a Dr. Pepper from her own stash (free of charge) because I didn't like the Pepsi products available at the front desk. Every time I walked by, they were smiling and never made me feel like a nuisance. My husband was there on business and I was there on pleasure. I sat by the pool and enjoyed silence for hours while he was away at work.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank et0607
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 10, 2010

My sister choose this hotel for her entire wedding party and some of her guests to stay at for her wedding weekend. HOWEVER, the hotel was under construction and the noise was so AWFUL (it starts bright and early at 7:30 am) that our entire party of 15 had to move to another hotel half way through our stay. Seriously it was so bad that we had the tv volume set to the highest point it would go and we still couldn't hear it while we were lying on the bed 3 feet away. The pool and fitness room weren't open either as they were under construction as well. Oh! And the hotel staff vacuums and cleans at all hours of the night right outside your room. Between the 10:30 pm vacuuming and the construction noise, I don't think I slept more than 2 hours a night. All and all it was a horrible experience and I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
jmsch344, General Manager at Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
I wanted to let everyone know that we have finished our renovation as of January 3rd 2011. We had some difficult times during the construction as often happens during major renovations such as ours. However the finished product is beyond even my own expectations and we have been receiving outstanding feedback from our guests. The renovation encompassed both the rooms and the lobby and has transformed our hotel into a modern, stylish and functional oasis for all types of travelers. In the rooms we added new carpet, wallpaper, lighting, artwork, sofas, tables, bedding and most importantly new flat screen HDTV's with HD signal and an increased channel lineup. The most dramatic changes happened in the lobby where we have completely redefined the Courtyard experience with new furniture, technology, colors, lighting and dining. EAT.DRINK.CONNECT in our new Bistro which serves fantastic made to order breakfasts and a menu that has something for everyone. In addition we are now proudly brewing Starbucks coffee and specialty drinks. For dinner we offer a great menu including starters, entrees and yummy desserts. You can also come try one of our signature cocktails or your favorite beer or wine in our inviting bar. The Go Board is our new 65 inch state of the art touch screen TV which displays real time news, weather, local events, mapping, directions and more. Come watch your favorite show or sporting event in our new Home Theater or one of or private media pods with its own HDTV. There really is too much to list but I know that once you come see our new property you will be back again and again.

Marc Schlesinger
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have to say I was a little disappointed with this Courtyard. I ALWAYS stay at a Marriotts, whether it be a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn, etc... and have always had a great stay with great service, but this Courtyard was a little underwhelming.

Check in was okay. The room was nice and clean, bed is comfy as was the couch, but the TV set is an older model and was in an awkward place. Could see nicely from the couch, but not the bed or the rest of the room. Air conditioner was very noisy. Thank goodness we were able to open the window for fresh air.

I think what I noticed most, it seemed to lack employees. Which would explain the feeling of...check in and you are on your own.

What I really didn't appreciate, was while I was in the shower, my husband went out to smoke a cigar, came back up to the room and maybe 10 minutes later, the front desk called to say someone had complained that there was smoking coming from the room. My husband explained he had just stepped back in from being outside while smoking a cigar, apologized for the odor being so strong and the front desk person kept accusing him of smoking in the room! No matter how much my husband explained, the man kept on with his accusations.

Anyway, this will be one property we will not return to. Which is a shame.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum
Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum
#4 of 4 in Laguna Hills
The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels

Been to Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County? Share your experiences!