“Stay someplace else!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Santa Barbara, California
“Stay someplace else!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

I had booked a room for an overnight stay in August. I was not able to make the trip due to the fact I was in the hospital. I cancelled my reservation the day before and before 4PM. They still billed my credit card! Now I am getting the runaround from the hotel staff and their customer service is no help either. I finally got my bank to get involved.

Just from this experience alone, I will never stay at a Comfort Inn or any of their other hotels.

• Stayed August 2005
CA448, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, January 7, 2009
My sincere apology that you were not taken care of. Each hotel establishes a cancellation and walk policy. Rooms may be canceled within the cancellation period to avoid a charge of one night room and taxes. In your case you were in violation of the cancellation period and were subject to being charged. This policy is industry standard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

My wife, daughter and I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn in Laguna Hills July 22 through July 24, 2005. I’m typically not someone to complain however we stayed there because of the reviews. Understandably the rate was fairly cheap for the area however the rooms, service and pool area were less than satisfactory to say the least. The room had a bad smell, the ceiling texture was pealing off, the sink and bath room had mold and the tile on the floor was loose. The iron is attached to the ironing board which is just ridiculous, if their worried about someone taking the iron get a Credit Card for incidentals. The staff was not helpful whatsoever, when asking for additional towels the staff was unwilling to provide. Finally upon asking again the next day additional towels could be provided but I would need to come to the front deck to pick them up. They are hesitant to provide towels because people take them to the beach and don’t return them. Again charge their credit card if there not returned (it shouldn’t impact me). Also I can’t prove it but we think the maid stole my daughter’s skirt. The pool had a few bugs in it so if you don’t mind swimming with critters your ok. If the rate for you out weighs the things I mentioned above then by all means enjoy your stay. Otherwise find another place the Marriot is just up the street as are other locations.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CA448, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
We thank you for your comments and I do apologize about your stay experience. We have now implemented a new service training program with our staff to ensure that you receive an enjoyable stay.

Travelers are raving about these Laguna Hills hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2005

Stayed here based on the reviews, the staff was friendly and personable. The hotel was replacing its spa heater the day we arrived and could not use it for the day, but the next day we did! Check out the SNOOTY FOX restaurant next door; they have a great breakfast at less than $5 per person.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I wanted to thank you for your kind comments. Our pool/spa is in great shape for your return visit. FYI, SNOOTY FOX is still next door. It may not be $5 anymore, but the service and price is still great!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2005

About what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn. Better than a few Comfort Inns I have stayed at and a step down from a few others. It's a mid-level lodging chain.

The continential breakfast was sparse (pasteries, apples, apple juice, "orange drink," milk, muffins coffee). And why does EVERY Comfort Inn serve some sort of "Tang" as orange juice?

The staff was nice. The maids were nice and over my multi-day stay, they mostly got the daily clean-up right. Quiet, of course the place was mostly deserted during my stay. Rooms were fine, but they are old and while they have been renovated, you can still tell they have some miles, but perfectly comfortable and nice size, nonetheless.

Fast food is nearby, as is Interstate 5, but there is no small grocery or market (or large grocery for that matter) within reasonable walking distance.

Also, I was charged $1.50 per day for the in-room safe warranty, which was not disclosed before I checked in the hotel, nor when I checked out.

Nor did I even use the safe (you have to check out a safe "key" from the front desk to use the inroom safe).

I have had this "done" to me before at other hotels and usually a complaint gets it taken off the bill. However, the clerk had already posted the bill and ran the credit card before showing me the charges, which I suppose was my fault for not insisting on seeing it beforehand. It was less than $5, so I just put up with it, but in principle, I felt that it was bad practice.

Other than that, would not hesistate to stay again. I'd just make sure I did not get the "safe warranty" next time.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your kind comments. Just to let you know we have completed our upgrades and look much different than your last stay. Our breakfast has been upgraded as well and we serve an assortment of juices now.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2004

We used a travel site to book this hotel and were happy with our stay.
The location is excellent only ten minutes from the beach and a few minutes from the mall. The inn was in quite neighborhood that was the best.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We thank you for your kind comments. Our location is still perfect. The area has grown since your last visit with additions to the Irvine Spectrum Center and now Laguna Beach offers a free trolley service during the summer months. Please come visit us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!